Can't get it to work

vbimport

I had a SONY CD-R drive that quit working so I bought the LP GH22LP20. I went to the lge.com site for a driver for it and tried to install the driver but I get a message that the ATAPI can’t be found. Is this something I can find or do I have to take it to someone who knows something about computers (I’m not very good at this)

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=FredWarner;2486643]I had a SONY CD-R drive that quit working so I bought the LP GH22LP20. I went to the lge.com site for a driver for it and tried to install the driver[/quote]No. There is no such thing like a driver for optical drives you can download.
Only Exception: There may be some drivers for ancient MS-DOS and Windows 3.x which hit the market when optical drives were exotic hardware.

Drivers are part of the operating system. A new optical drive, properly installed (according to the manual) should work out-of-the box.

but I get a message that the ATAPI can’t be found.
No idea, what you try to install, and why you want to install this. :confused:

Perhaps it is better to exactly describe the issue you have with your drive. If there are any error messages in Device Manager, Event Log, etc. please tell us.

Michael

I thought I did everything I was supposed to. I changed the SONY CD drive to the new LG one and tried to run the “Add Hardware” program but got nowhere. I called Best Buy, where I bought it, and was told I needed to download a driver from the LG website. I thought I was successful when I downloaded the driver but when I tried to run what I guess is the installation program (GH22LP20…exe ) I got this message “ATAPI device cannot be found”. I assume the new LP drive is the device that cannot be found. I had set the little (CSE…Slave…Master) jumper on the drive to Master, which is what I think they wanted, since I only have one drive, other than the hard drive (“C”) and the floppy (“A”). I had no connections to the SONY drive except the 40 pin plug and the 4 pin power plug. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi,[QUOTE=FredWarner;2486678]I thought I did everything I was supposed to. I changed the SONY CD drive to the new LG one and tried to run the “Add Hardware” program but got nowhere. [/quote]The “Add new hardware” step is normally unnecessary since a new drive is detected automagically (at least by Windows). What was wrong after installing the drive?

I called Best Buy, where I bought it, and was told I needed to download a driver from the LG website.
Seems they are clueless :eek:
I thought I was successful when I downloaded the driver but when I tried to run what I guess is the installation program (GH22LP20…exe ) I got this message “ATAPI device cannot be found”. I assume the new LP drive is the device that cannot be found.
The only thing available on LG website is a firmware update. Normally not needed unless there are problems with certain media. If the firmware update utility doesn’t find the drive, then there is either a controller compatibility issue or something else is wrong.

I had set the little (CSE…Slave…Master) jumper on the drive to Master, which is what I think they wanted, since I only have one drive, other than the hard drive (“C”) and the floppy (“A”).
You must use the same jumper setting as with your old drive!

I had no connections to the SONY drive except the 40 pin plug and the 4 pin power plug.
This drive needs to be connected by a 80wired IDE cable (flat ribbon, 18" (46cm)). Also please check if there are any errors shown in device manager.

Michael

After getting your message I changed the jumper from “Master” to CSE as that is what was on the old SONY drive. (Why do they call this an 80 pin drive instead of 40 when it really has only 39 pins?) I turned computer back on and went to Device Manager. LG drive is listed but has yellow circle w/exclamation point and (Driver has been disabled…Code 32) message. Driver is listed as Microsoft 5.1.2535.0, which is same as SONY was and is same as my working hard drive. Clicking on troubleshoot recommends uninstall and reinstall.

I went to LG site, as suggested by Best Buy and found 2 versions of firmware. I took the older one, without the Windows 7 stuff, and downloaded that. After doing the recommended extraction I clicked on “Run” and got the center label “ATAPI Device cannot be found”, which I assume is the new LG DVD drive.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I call LG? I can’t tell you how much I appreciate having someone answer my questions.

In device manger Right click drive and uninstall, then reboot computer it should find it again and load proper drivers.

As suggested by Bean55 I right clicked the device and rebooted - got nothing.

Does the drive still have the yellow circle w/exclamation point next to it ?

Did it see it at all?

Pull the drive out again and check the pins to see if any are bent.

As michael stated it should be hooked up with a 80 pin cable

This drive needs to be connected by a 80wired IDE cable (flat ribbon, 18" (46cm)). Also please check if there are any errors shown in device manager.

That may be why it is not seeing it properly.

Yes, the drive still has the yellow warning and the same "ATAPI Device can not be found’. As for the connector, it’s certainly the one that came with the computer, although I still don’t understand why they call a 40 pin (39?) connector a 80 pin one.

The cable is what needs to be changed, the one that came with the computer probably is a 40 pin wire cable, you need a 80 wire cable for the new drive.

The ends look the same except for color sometimes.But if you count how many wires that are in the cable you will get 80 instead of 40, the new drive will probably not work or at least not work properly without the new cable.

Hi,[QUOTE=FredWarner;2486816]After getting your message I changed the jumper from “Master” to CSE as that is what was on the old SONY drive.[/quote]If the drive is the only drive on the cable, then Master should be fine either (perhaps even better). Please check the manual of the drive for installation hints.

(Why do they call this an 80 pin drive instead of 40 when it really has only 39 pins?)
I talked about 80 wires, not pins :wink: Look here to see the difference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Technology_Attachment

I turned computer back on and went to Device Manager. LG drive is listed but has yellow circle w/exclamation point and (Driver has been disabled…Code 32) message. (…)
I went to LG site, as suggested by Best Buy and found 2 versions of firmware.
NEVER, NEVER ever try a firmware update if a drive is not properly working!

Ok, let’s start again.
Uninstall the drive from Device Manager and shut down the computer.
Now I am assuming this is the only drive on the cable:

[ol]
[li]Set the jumper on the drive to Master position.
[/li][li]Plug the [B]blue [/B]connector of the cable into the motherboard
[/li][li]Plug the [B]black [/B]connector to the drive - don’t use the [B]grey [/B]connector.
[/li][li]If your cable has only black connectors, then your cable is not suitable since this would be the 40 wired variant.
[/li][li]Reattach the power plug and start your computer.
[/li][/ol]

Michael

Hi FredWarner, did you solve the problem? I am having trouble with an LG GH22LP20 as well which replaced a Phillips DVD8801/96 drive in a Dell GX520.