Cant get into my external hard drive

vbimport

can anyone tell me why my external hard drive does not appear on the screen when connected, it used to, its a philips 500 gig plug and play.

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

A possible reason is that the drive is damaged :frowning:

Can you test the drive on a different machine? If in the other computer the drive works correctly then the culprit is somewhere in your PC.

Hi and Welcome!

is your drive present in Explorer? (Then it’s only autoplay which is disabled)
If not, please try with another computer.

In case the drive has no own power supply, this could also be the problem source.

Michael

my computer tells me my external hard drive is working ok, how do i access it when there is no icon or anything in the system tray to click on? thanks to geno888 for the last reply.

Does it appear when you click My Computer? If it does, just right click on it and select Explore or whichever option you prefer.

mine used to do the same ,
it connected ok and it said it was there , but i had no way of using it . then i realised it needed to be plugged into the mains power rather than just a usb port , as the usb port didnt give it enough power to fully be displayed . or you can combine 2 usb ports to double the power if you are having this problem . and if you have the correct y cable to do this .

[QUOTE=ghosts;2466262]or you can combine 2 usb ports to double the power if you are having this problem . and if you have the correct y cable to do this .[/QUOTE]The additional connector of such a (out-of-specs) Y-cable will give you another 100mA, not more, so you have 600mA total in order to power a HDD that needs 1000mA on spin-up.
Some computers provide more power, but they don’t need to since only 500mA (if requested by the device) is specified.

Michael