Can't get Clone DVD to start reading or writing

You maybe pointing it in the wrong direction of the file.

@walker1 - I would in no way consider myself an expert in any of the Slysoft/Elby products - however I have never encountered any of the problems you have experienced.

The fact you have done 1 sucessful back up proves that your system and the software is working flawlessly.

Several forum members including the author of CloneDVD2 have tried to help you. I would suggest that you print out the instructions and follow them word for word. It might be that you are just overlooking a tiny detail, and that is why it is not working for you.

Did you try following what I wrote in post #10? That should make a perfect back up everytime.

The only other thing I can think of to help you is to write in total detail everything you click on and where you are pointing CloneDVD2 to - and I mean every mouse click and key stroke - that way I am sure someone can point out where you are going wrong.

Explore local disk (C: ), and in ‘CloneDVDTemp’ what do you have in there, folders, files ?

I looked in the Clone Temp Folder- It is EMPTY. I checked it 4 times earlier today.

I have no idea why the software keeps playing and burning the 1 movie I backed up with it. All this started about 1 1/2 weeks ago when my computer locked up. I ended up erasing the hard drive. My DVD X Copy went also. I have used X for 2 years with no problems. I could not get re-activated from 321 as they are gone.
I was directed to this forum and the software we are working with. I am quite good with computers. However, in this case I am wasting time and discs for a reason unknown to me. You may have a 100% success rate with Clone. I had a 100% success rate with X Copy Platinum. I know there is a minor problem here that will be resolved. I don’t like unfinished business and will try on this end to figure this thing out. My Clone Temp Folder is EMPTY. So, where & why is Toy Soldiers showing up on the preview screen instead of True Lies?

I am an excellent reader and have read through every page of the tutorial you wrote. If this is so easy all I should be doing is repeating the same steps I did with Toy Soldiers. So, I ask you at this time- do you have a resolution for this quirky problem? I’m open to any other suggestions.

Thanks all for helping out.

Search your PC for your Toy Soldiers back up, and delete it, & retry.

@walker1
you must put your true lies DVD in your DVD-rom and then choose
the correct drive on the first screen after you have pressed copy dvd
on the title screen (make sure you read from the correct drive and
directory and not from somewhere on your harddisk)

on the last screen you before you press the go button you have to
choose as location your DVD-Recorder and you have to insert a blank
media there

OK, I put The Last Castle in burner after starting AnyDVD. selected correct drive- Pressed Copy DVD-(On title scrn) Read from correct directory & drive- Last scrn- Chose burner-Did computer search for Toy Soldiers-none found. I opened up Clone Temp Folder- it was empty. Movie copied fine.

I then attempted to make a backup of “License To Kill”- The AnyDVD scrn showed it- Then I opened Clone and guess what- It starts playing “Last Castle” again even though License To Kill was in burner drive. I then looked in C drive for Last Castle and found none. I did notice before in AnyDVD under CSS keys: Use archieve box was checked- I unchecked it. It had all previous titles I made in there. I deleted them all. I had to abort this attempt as Clone wanted to read & write Last Castle again. I read in the literature that Clone remembers the longest title- The Last Castle is 2:13 long. I wonder??? I guess this program has a mind of its own. I made double sure that the box saying “delete after writing” was indeed checked.

On another note- Tech support @ Clone2 has not answered my e mail after 2 days.

@walker1
sorry but in my oppinion it’s a user error not a software error

here again how I recommend you to work with cloneDVD

step1 - copy original dvd to harddisk
put disk that you want to copy in your DVD burner
start clone dvd and press copy dvd
on next screen in the upper line choose your dvd burner as source device (the video_ts folder to be exact) (if it now plays another movie in the preview than the one in your burner then you have selected a wrong source device, choose correct device first)
once correct press next 2x
then choose as target device a folder on your Harddisk (example C:/CloneDVD_MovieToCopy)
press go and wait till finished
now you have copied the disk to your harddisk (=end of step1)

step2 - burn from harddisk to blank media
put a blank media in your burner now
end clonedvd and start it again
choose write existing data in the title screen
choose C:/CloneDVD_MovieToCopy as source directory (video_ts folder if exists)
and write the movie from your harddisk to your Blank media
wait till finished - end of step2 = end of copy process

remove your copy from your burner and play it on your standalone player

be happy :clap:

Frisk< I put disc in burner. Started Clone- Clicked on Copy DVD Titles-typed in Video_ts folder- NEXT button is disabled. I tried clicking on next selection- (Whole movie with xtras), same result on next screen- NEXT button disabled. Used the drop down- Exactly read "C;?documents and settings/owner/desktop/clone temp/video_ts

This was the only path that enabled the NEXT button. As soon as i got there "The Last Castle began playing just like always. ALL its titles were in the area right of the preview screen. I aborted at this point. If my computer says there are NO files for The Last Castle why does it start playing as soon as I get past the 1st screen? The temp folder says no files exist anywhere in the computer.

This is very strange. I thought The Last Castle files were automatically deleted after I burned it a couple of days ago. YES, I did check the box telling Clone to delete the files after the burn. The Clone temp folder is EMPTY.

You typed in video_ts, you should browse to video_ts, use the button at the right hand side of the drop down box. Should read, C:/CloneDVDTemp/VIDEO_TS

@walker1

yes you must browse like bjproc said but not to the directory on your hard disk
but to the video_ts folder of your Burner as you want to read the disk that
you have entered into your burner and not some old files that you have stored
on your hard disk, in my case my buner has drive letter G: don’t know what
letter it’s in your case but C: is for sure HD and as you have entered the DVD
that you want to copy in your burner you must read from the burner.

you can delete the clonedvdtemp folder from your hd these files are no more
required

then follow again the steps I already wrote

put original disk that you want to copy in your DVD burner
start clone dvd and press copy dvd
on next screen in the upper line choose your dvd burner as source device (the video_ts folder to be exact) (if it now plays another movie in the preview than the one in your burner then you have selected a wrong source device, choose correct device first)
once correct press next 2x
then choose as target device a folder on your Harddisk (example C:/TitleOfMovieYouWantToCopy)
now you have copied the disk to your harddisk in folder
C:/TitleOfMovieYouWantToCopy (=end of step1)

choose C:/TitleOfMovieYouWantToCopy as source directory
(video_ts folder if exists depends on what you have selected)
and write the movie from your harddisk to your Blank media

Well, I went through the read with the right movie. No problems. STEP 2: Put in blank-shut off Clone- started Clone again- Clicked on “Write existing data”- Clicked on DVD Movie Files- Typed in: Path C:/Clonedvdtemp_TS Output method: DVD Writer- speed 8X- In Volume Label: Typed Video_DVD -GO- Oh No message- States: “System unable to open file- System cannot find the path specified” - Details- File0C:/clonedvdtemp_ts/video_ts.Ifo3

I almost have it. No more Last Castle!

@walker1

why have you typed in C:/Clonedvdtemp_TS Output?
Here you have to browse for the correct Folder on your HD of course

Do it again like I wrote below, print this out and do it again from the beginning and
follow it step by step…don’t miss a line!

start clone dvd and press clone dvd
on next screen in the upper line choose your dvd burner as source device (browse for the video_ts folder) (if it now plays another movie in the preview than the one in your burner then you have selected a wrong source device, choose correct device first)
once corrected press next 2x
As output method choose DVD Files
then choose as target device a folder on your Harddisk C: (create a new folder and name it MyMovie_210705)
uncheck add video_ts folder
C:/MyMovie_210705 (=end of step1)

In ‘DVD Movie Files’ browse for your folder C:/MyMovie_210705
(video_ts folder if exists, depends on what you have selected, if
you have unchecked add video_ts folder under step1 it will not exist)
Output Method = DVD writer
choose the correct writer from the list (if you have more then one it must be the one where you have insterted the blank media)
press go and write the movie from your harddisk to your Blank media

@ Frisk
Why make another folder when you can use clonedvd’s own temp folder :confused:

Insert movie
Start clonedvd
click one of the top 2 options
Browse to drive you just put movie into (D or E) ?
select video_ts
Check (tick) what you want (usally just main movie)
Click next
select what audio/subtitles you want/dont want
Click next
Make sure your dvdwriter is shown in box
Below in “options”
Make sure this is there C:/CloneDVDTemp
tick, delete temp video files after writing
GO

just because I prefer this way…I transcode several movies
to hd in a row to different folders on the hd then check the movies/files
on HD with PowerDVD and later, maybe days later, I burn the files from
folders/harddisk to blank media then i check these copies in standalone
player and only after everything is fine I delete the different movie folders I made from my HD

(and like olli said in another thread: “…a clever CloneDVD dude never uses temp files anyway”)

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=143249

I did read that, so why is it on at default settings ?

If you transcode several movies in a row, yes make other folders, but i’ve not had any problems using the temp folder ,yet :bigsmile:

Hi, OK: Out disc in burner- Started Clone- Clicked on Copy DVD Titles- NEXT- In Config: Browse- Clicked on D drive- OK- D:/VIDEO_TS came up in config box- Movie is playing in preview box- NEXT- Sub Titles- NEXT- Output method- Clicked on DVD Writer- Drive D- Writer- Volume Label: Video_DVD- Options: Browse- Clicked on C:/CloneDVDTempfolder- GO- Read is completed

Step 2: Put blank in writer- Closed,then re-opened Clone- Clicked on Write Existing Data- NEXT-Source: Clicked on DVD Movie Files-In Path of files to process box: Browse- Clicked on C:/clonedvdtemp_TS- Output: DVD Writer- Drive: D- Volume Label: Video_DVD- GO- Error: C:/clonedvdtemp_TS/video_TS.IFO:unable to open file. System can’t find path specified

No matter what I put in the path box I keep getting this same error message. I don’t get this.

Why close clonedvd and then open it up again and use 3rd button ?, when it stops ripping it, it ejects original movie & then asks you to insert blank media, insert blank media and let the program do the work…!

@walker1

Do it again like I wrote below, print this out and do it again from the beginning and
follow it step by step…don’t miss a line and name the folders on your HD like I propose

start clone dvd and press clone dvd
on next screen in the upper line choose your dvd burner as source device (browse for the video_ts folder) (if it now plays another movie in the preview than the one in your burner then you have selected a wrong source device, choose correct device first)
once corrected press next 2x
As output method choose DVD Files
then choose as target device a folder on your Harddisk C: (create a new folder and name it MyMovie_210705)
uncheck add video_ts folder

C:/MyMovie_210705 (=end of step1)

In ‘DVD Movie Files’ browse for your folder C:/MyMovie_210705
(video_ts folder should not exist if you have unchecked add video_ts folder under step1 like I recommended)
Output Method = DVD writer
choose the correct writer from the list (if you have more then one it must be the one where you have insterted the blank media)
press go and write the movie from your harddisk to your Blank media