Can't flash SH S223Q Vista64bit AsusP5K MB

vbimport

Hey guys when I try to flash my SH S223Q drive with the firmware from Samsungs site I get this error…I attached a jpeg to show.

My system is:

CPU: Intel q6600
MB: Asus P5K (Vanilla)
Ram: 8 gigs XMS2 Corsair

The drive is connected directly to the SATA connector on the MB. I have extracted the file and it tells me that this firmware is not compatible with the selected drive…is there another firmware I should use? Where can I get it? SH-S223Q_ST00.bin is what I am using. I thought that this firmware was the only one. I bought this drive at Microcenter here in Cambridge MA. Was in the shrink wrap OEM area.

If this help this is what device manager is seeing it as: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223Q ATA Device.

Should I use another firmware? Is Vista 64bit doing something wacky? I would just like to upgrade to the T firmware.

Thanks much guys! :slight_smile:

Welcome to CDF’s:

You need to use -no check > http://club.cdfreaks.com/2108550-post459.html

Use caution when using -nocheck as if you choose the wrong drive it will flash it! Make sure you choose the correct drive and firmware.

Yup that did the trick!!!

Thank you much.

Nick

I can’t flash the ST00 firmware and have followed all the instructions I could find from this forum. I got the red “NOCHECK” in the TSDN window, but it won’t recognize my ST00 firmware as a bin file. I can’t even load it. I have a 64 bit Vista OS as well. The SB00 is way too slow.

Please help. Thanks.

[QUOTE=Mazeppa;2130974]but it won’t recognize my ST00 firmware as a bin file. I can’t even load it.[/QUOTE] Not to seem redundant, but IS it a .BIN file, or the .EXE from Samsung’s site?

I have a 64 bit Vista OS as well. The SB00 is way too slow.
What do you mean by “[it’s] way too slow”?

That’s what I don’t understand. The only firmware I found is an EXE. TSDN looks for a bin file. Am I supposed to convert the ST00 EXE file to bin? If so, how? This drive rips CDs incredibly slow in it’s current state.

Read through this post a bit to see if it helps with the flashing: http://club.cdfreaks.com/1803671-post4.html

First, though: What software are using to rip, how long, and to what format are you ripping?

It doesn’t help. I understand how to flash with the “nocheck” version of TSDN, but the only file that will load is a bin file. The only ST00 files I’ve found are EXE. Do you know of a link to a ST00.bin file? I rip with EAC to FLAC (the rule on all the forums I go to) and it rips at 2.5 average.

At the bottom of the post I linked to:

Additional note: Samsung has changed their way to provide firmware updates. Formerly, the plain firmware file and the flash tool had to be downloaded separately. Now, they have put both components together into a self extracting archive file. [B]You can use the free 7-zip to extract the archive and to get both parts, the flash tool and the firmware file separately.[/B]
:wink:

Is your processor at 100% load during this process?

Download Nero CD DVD Speed [ www.cdspeed2000.com ], insert the audio disc you are trying to rip, run a transfer rate test [Run Test > Transfer Rate], take a screenshot, and post the screenshot, please. :slight_smile:

I caught that after my last reply. I flashed it. Thanks.

I’m still having problems with the rip speed. It was fast for a while, then inconsistent, now it’s slow (about 2.5x max). Here’s a screenshot:

Your screenshot looks perfectly good. Nothing to complain about.

Michael

I repeat myself:[QUOTE=Albert;2131213]Is your processor at 100% load during this process?[/QUOTE]

Also, what are your EAC settings for the drive [secure mode, burst mode, etc]?

I use Secure mode, the standard setup for most of these lossless sites. This drive will sometimes rip at 11x or 12x, sometimes at 2x. When it rips slow I’ll put the same disc in my other drive and get about 5x or 6x, which is average for that drive.

What secure mode settings are you using?

Used drive : TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-S223Q Adapter: 3 ID: 0

Read mode : Secure
Utilize accurate stream : Yes
Defeat audio cache : Yes
Make use of C2 pointers : No

Read offset correction : 6
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : No
Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : No
Null samples used in CRC calculations : Yes
Used interface : Installed external ASPI interface
Gap handling : Appended to previous track

Used output format : User Defined Encoder
Selected bitrate : 768 kBit/s
Quality : High
Add ID3 tag : No
Command line compressor : C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\FLAC\FLAC.EXE
Additional command line options : -V -8 -T “artist=%a” -T “title=%t” -T “album=%g” -T “date=%y” -T “tracknumber=%n” -T “genre=%m” %s