Cant flash nec 2510a help plz!

im straight nubs to all this so plz be patient

i just bought my nec 2510a from newegg for 79.99 and they sent two on accident :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: … so now that ive got that going for me i need some help with herries hacked firmware for it… im trying to flash to beta 5 i have dled his windows flasher and when i ran it it said

current ver n/a

update ver 1.7

stat 0of0

target nec nd-2500a is not found correctly

what i can tell you is the cable i connected it with is the master and that under device manager and etc dma is enable if avail

why does it not recognize its version… what do i need to do to get this going thx alot boys!!!

(first post great site!!! :iagree: :bow: )

I don’t think Primay Master is supported.

Make sure the jumper pins are set correctly.
Don’t use cable select!

Edit: Since you have a 2510, in order to flash 2500 firmware onto it, you must use the DOS utility and a BIN file.

i think that herries present fw flashes to 2510a using only the dos version of the fw na??..not sure though

…they sent two on accident

You’re going to send one back, right?

Sorry for the double post :confused:

AHHHHHHHH im in the same situation but i have a 2500, v1.07. i tried to flash herrie beta 5 but the program crashed on me in the middle of flashing. the cd tray doesnt even open now…all it does is blink yellow…HELP!!

ok well obviously i need to do a dos flash and not windows… but you talking about the jumper pins set correctly and not using cable select… can you go into way more detail for me… thx!!

ps… no i dont plan to send the extra back

Hi!

There are normally two IDE channels provided by the chipset of your mainboard, the primary and the secondary channel. For one channel there is one IDE cable. You can connect two devices with one cable, so you can connect up to four devices. Two devices at one cable need a difference to be recognized properly. So you have to “jumper” them. Every device has a little jumper at its back. There are three possibilities to shorten the pins: Master (Ma), Slave (Sl) and CableSelect (CS). Every channel needs at least a Master device. So when you’re only running one device at one channel it has to be set as Master (use the end of the cable then, otherwise there could be unwanted reflections!). When you’re running two devices at one channel, one must be set to Master and the other one to Slave.
When you’re running devices in CableSelect mode, the device at the end of the cable will be set to Master, the device in the middle to Slave automatically. But this doesn’t work with every device, so it’s recommended to set the jumpers clearly!

In the history of computers the primary IDE channel was used for Harddiscs, as the computer searches for boot device at primary Master. For not “disturbing” the Harddisk, there was often no more device connected to the primary channel (one channel only has one IRQ, this was fatal in old PIO times without DMA). So only the secondary channel was left for optical devices. This is the reason why it’s recommended to run a DVD writer as secondary Master!

Nowadays there are also seperated Harddisk controllers (SATA and/or RAID), so you can use both IDE channels for optical units. Here is also recommended: Set the writers to Master when you experience a problem!

I hope, that cleared it up a bit… :wink: