Can't figure why dell laptop won't let me play dvds tho used to on vlc

hi my problem is this:
last month vlc upgraded the player and it worked fine then started to scramble the view, online forum advice didn’t help much either, am not a tech wiz.:disagree:
so tried downloading Uplayer -worked once, then Media Player Classic and that just came up with a ‘fail’ notice.
i’d use wmp but each time is wrong region.
please help! :sad:
i’d use a dvd player but my it’s in my sis’s room lol i got the video player.
i have a dell inspiron 1720, was a mix up at the shop as i wanted a 1520, go figure.

Try uninstalling Uplayer first then reboot.
Then uninstall VLC then reboot.
Then install VLC again.

I for one have never seen the point of VLC

It is IMO a clunky and inconvenient way to play anything.

Particularly when WMP11 and a FREE codec pack (either of the two most popular available on cnet downloads) seem to do the same job without the inconvenient user interface of VLC and without VLC tagging every media file on every drive in your computer as a “VLC Media File” with their stupid little traffic cone icon.

I’ve actually had a computer refuse to play any media files with any program other
than VLC after VLC was installed… that is simply unacceptable.

I can probably repeat this error if anyone wants to drop by for a demonstration…

AD

I’ve never been a fanboy of WMP, any version…And I certainly would not recommend codec packs…VlC has always worked fo me and many many many other users as well, and does not rely on external codecs…There are of course exceptions.:wink: YMMV…
To each their own…

[QUOTE=Snexel;2550802]hi my problem is this:
last month vlc upgraded the player and it worked fine then started to scramble the view, online forum advice didn’t help much either, am not a tech wiz.:disagree:
so tried downloading Uplayer -worked once, then Media Player Classic and that just came up with a ‘fail’ notice.
i’d use wmp but each time is wrong region.
please help! :sad:
i’d use a dvd player but my it’s in my sis’s room lol i got the video player.
i have a dell inspiron 1720, was a mix up at the shop as i wanted a 1520, go figure.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure I understood correctly, but are you referring to movies in your HDD or to DVD discs? Did you check what region are these discs? Computer drives allow to change DVD region only 4 times, and if you changed region 4 times, the drive will remain set to latest region chosen. The only way to reset it is installing a not-official firmware, but this will void warranty and it is also possible that such a firmware is not available at all.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2550841]I for one have never seen the point of VLC

It is IMO a clunky and inconvenient way to play anything.

Particularly when WMP11 and a FREE codec pack (either of the two most popular available on cnet downloads) seem to do the same job without the inconvenient user interface of VLC and without VLC tagging every media file on every drive in your computer as a “VLC Media File” with their stupid little traffic cone icon.

I’ve actually had a computer refuse to play any media files with any program other than VLC after it was installed…

I can repeat this error if anyone wants to drop by for a demonstration…

AD[/QUOTE]
The point is that VLC requires no codec installation because is able to play almost everything out of the box, and actually is also possible to use it in portable mode, so no installation is needed also for VLC player itself.

Any installation causes a mess in windows registry, and codec packs are known to make a mess too (not my personal experience, but I read about a lot of people reporting problems after installing codec packs).

With the portable version of VLC, there is no file association so no ugly icon is used for media files. This happens only after installing the software :slight_smile:

Another advantage of portable versions is that you can still keep the previous versions so after trying a new release if you find some bugs you can still use the previous (working) version waiting for a bug-fix to be released. After testing, if you want get rid of an old version you can simply delete the directory where you put it :slight_smile:

I have the installed version of VLC not the portable & I don’t have any files tagged with the VLC icon. I agree the VLC GUI is not always as smooth as it should be a bit “clunky” as AllanDeGroot described.
I don’t like WMP much either On Vista I need to use AnyDVD to play a commercial DVD on WMP11. It plays backup copies fine.
To my knowlege I only have some .ogg & Orban codecs extra .
I also have been playing around with Real Player & it has added something ogg vorbis but after I do what I want I will uninstall that.
I also have Media Player Classic .

[QUOTE=geno888;2550847]The only way to reset it is installing a not-official firmware, but this will void warranty and it is also possible that such a firmware is not available at all.[/QUOTE]The TSST TS-L632H was very common with the 2007/2008 Inspiron 1520/1720 and their twins Vostro 1500/1700. And fortunately, for this drive the firmware can be RPC1 patched :slight_smile:
I’d suggest to run Neró Info Tool to find out what drive is installed, and also to check if there is some drive region problem.

Michael

But once you’ve loaded the codec pack you NEVER need to think about it again…

Frankly I think WMP11 with a codec added works better than the Power-DVD software that came bundled with many of the computers I work on.

AD

…or you make your own that actually works based on free software =)
//Danne

I’ve been trying KM Player on my laptop, and Media Player Classic HC (64 bit) on my HTPC. I still use VLC once in a while. On my laptop I still haven’t even run setup on WMP…

What drives me batty is the people who insist thatiTunes is the be-all, End-all of music software and I can’t figuire out why people love it so…

WMP lets you easily browse/sort/playback your music in any of many ways.

Genre, Artist, Album & song title are obvious, but how about sorting by release date?
Or Song WRITER? or song length?

whatever flats your boat, I thing the people who don’t like doing their music playback
with WMP11 have never actually tried it…

I actually had someone here recently looking over my shoulder while I was playing
things for them and they finally asked “what programe is that because it’s as slick as hell…”

When I told them WMP11 they could believe it was WMP11.

Yeah, and it’s FREE.

Unreasoned irrational hate against microsoft products is actually a worse thing than the reality of the products people spend their time avoiding.

are there some things I don’t like about it? Yeah, the fact that there are some settings I must reset every time I open it, but I can make the same complaint against VLC, iTunes, etc…

I don’t think it’s the worlds greatest program… EXCEPT for playing back the media on your computer.
that job it does second to no other…
but it really doesn’t do anything else that I don’t use another program to do…

I extract with EAC,
Compress with NCH Switch sound
Tag with TagScanner
and generally use Roxio (Buisness v10) to do my burning

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2551102]What drives me batty is the people who insist thatiTunes is the be-all, End-all of music software and I can’t figuire out why people love it so…

WMP lets you easily browse/sort/playback your music in any of many ways.

Genre, Artist, Album & song title are obvious, but how about sorting by release date?
Or Song WRITER? or song length?

whatever flats your boat, I thing the people who don’t like doing their music playback
with WMP11 have never actually tried it…

I actually had someone here recently looking over my shoulder while I was playing
things for them and they finally asked “what programe is that because it’s as slick as hell…”

When I told them WMP11 they could believe it was WMP11.

Yeah, and it’s FREE.

Unreasoned irrational hate against microsoft products is actually a worse thing than the reality of the products people spend their time avoiding.

are there some things I don’t like about it? Yeah, the fact that there are some settings I must reset every time I open it, but I can make the same complaint against VLC, iTunes, etc…

I don’t think it’s the worlds greatest program… EXCEPT for playing back the media on your computer.
that job it does second to no other…
but it really doesn’t do anything else that I don’t use another program to do…

I extract with EAC,
Compress with NCH Switch sound
Tag with TagScanner
and generally use Roxio (Buisness v10) to do my burning

AD[/QUOTE]

This discussion is going off-topic. Please, let’s discuss about what can be the cause of playback issues in Snexel’s computer :slight_smile:

Cause, software issue
Quick solution --> Reinstall (reformat)
Slow solution --> Trying to figure out what’s messed up
//Danne

You’d have to specify whether it’s the [U]same[/U] DVD that VLC used to play and now cannot. My neighbor once gave me a DVD that wouldn’t play in VLC but others would. There was something special about that DVD but i never found out what.

Off-topic sorta…We get it AD you love WMP11…:rolleyes:
Back on-topic, waiting for the OP to reply and maybe try the other apps mentioned and not one persons personal infatuation(s)…:eek:
I’m also kinda partial to MediaPlayer Classic HC…
@OP, did you try un-installing and re-installing VLC, as was recommended?..

Hi again,
thanks for the many and prompt replies.
in reply:
I have tried uninstalling vlc about 3x and even trying it with an older version, current version- plays my saved files but for DVD’s will play scrambled. Oddly it will play dvd’s I have already played it with, but not others.
for ex: Micmacs- region 2, is scrambled on vlc, refuses to play on Uplayer (although played almost perfect on another dvd if I choose it as first option) and affects rest of my programmes. wmp is wrong region and MPC comes up with Copy Protect fail. Uplayer has now suddenly decided to play Micmacs shrugs
i ran system scans but came up empty, but seems only way for me to go is by testing out my dvds on each player.
i’ve also been told it could be registry bugs?
thanks for the comments so far :smiley:

Just to clarify: Is this a video that you ripped to your HD from a commercial DVD or the actual DVD or a burned copy of the DVD? If a ripped copy, what program did you use to rip?

It seems to me that your computer is not able to play commercial DVDs, so the best solution is to install AnyDVD (too bad not free but excellent) and let it running in the background, so the DVD will be unscrambled on the fly and you can use any player to watch the movie.

Alternatively did you consider the option to buy a cheap standalone player? There are many decent ones at very affordable prices :slight_smile:

I’d still like to hear more about the region coding and what discs work and what discs don’t and how they are burned if they are at all. I think that might help narrow things down.

Also, may be a somewhat obvious thought, but scrambled play often comes from something as simple as a dirty/scratched disc.

DVD43 is a free option to AnyDVD. Being free it isn’t updated quite as often and might not handle some of the newer releases.