Can't figure out wherein lies the problem

vbimport

I can’t use error checking software because my Nec burner gives false errors half the time.

I’m burning a lot of series’ of avi files at the moment.
About 25% of every dvd I burn gives me problems, The files are burnt without a problem, but when I try to play it back my media player crashes, or if I try to open the particular files on the dvd causing the crashes with gspot it gives me a crc error.

However The problem resolves itself If I eject and put the disc back in several times. I might have to restart my comp too.

Can anyone understand this behaviour?
Is my drive a bad burner or a bad reader or is it a problem with my media?

I generally have almost all my cpu being used whenever my comp is on. Is this is a bad idea when burning things?

Thanks for reading.

Maxing out your CPU during burning is not a good thing to do. I would recomend to stop all applications while burning CDs or DVDs. Also I would recomend using high quality DVD-/+R Discs like Taiyo Yuden or any other Made in Japan disc (Taiyo Yuden would be best choice). The cause for CRC errors with DVD or CDs can be hardware (loose cables, failing drive), software, damaged media or poorly burnt CDs and DVDs - especially those that had numerous or severe buffer underuns (Buffer underuns may happen when you max out your CPU).
For more help you should give us the make of your burner and media (Manufacturer/Brand).

I’m using a nec nd-3520aw. It’s using the latest firmware update.
I have folding@home running constantly. which uses up all unused cpu usage… I’ll try disabling it when I’m burning. It adjusts itself though whenever there is an increase/decrease in cpu usage. But It has caused a couple of conflicts with fps games especially.

Is it okay to keep antivirus software running?

I keep antivirus software running, but I don’t do anything on the PC when I’m burning. Even though the software adjusts itself, disable it if possible as its much better to have the resources free and ready to use at a moments notice.

I tend to shut down everything I can, even the AV software. Only thing I keep running is my firewall. But then, neither of my PCs are anything special, so I need all the resources I can get :bigsmile:

Ditto for me :bigsmile:

Hello Folks,

It is wise and prudent to ensure that you have curtailed [B][U]ALL[/U][/B] Multi-Tasking background operations while attempting to conduct your DVD burning tasks. Also ensure that you don’t have any invasive Anti-Virus and Packet Writing programs running while conducting your DVD burning tasks, which can easily interfere with the proper operation of your DVD burning programs.

To ensure that all background operations are in fact curtailed check that all unnecessary programs are not automatically loaded during Window Startup. To check this suggest viewing the below Web Link that details how to use MSCONFIG to configure Windows Startup to load only necessary items. You will be surprised at all the unnecessary Memory and Resource wasting items that are automatically loaded during Windows Startup. Quite possibility you have some unnecessary item automatically loaded during Windows Startup that you are unaware of that could be interfering with the popper operation of your burning software causing your problem.

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

Best Regards,
bjkg

Well nero only uses about 10% of my cpu, but i’ll try still try to keep resources to a minimum and see how things go, thanks.

And as you posted your question in the blank media forum, maybe it would be a god idea to mention the [B]media you use[/B]… (as [B]koba[/B] already asked).