Can't erase my DVD-RW disc

Hi, all. I originally posted this over at VideoHelp.com, and they suggested I take my query here. I hope y’all can help me out!

I have a Philips SPD2513BD 20x retail DVD burner which I just bought a couple weeks ago. It seems to burn CD-R and DVD+R discs just fine. It also burns and erases the DVD+RW disc I have, with one situational exception (discussed below). And it will burn my DVD-RW disc if it is blank.

However, it will not burn certain things. Here are the problems:

1. It will not erase my DVD-RW disc when it has any data or video already burned onto it.
2. It will not erase or burn more data to my DVD+RW disc when it has been burned by my other drive but not finalized. (But it will erase and add to the disc when it has been burned by itself but not finalized.)

Potential explanations which I have explored:

Q: Are the disc scratched or otherwise damaged?
A: No. Both the DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs can be burned perfectly with my Panasonic DVD recorder and my Lite-on DVD burner. In the case of the latter, the data always verifies successfully. Even the Philips drive burns them properly, so long as the DVD-RW is blank and the DVD+RW has not been left in open-session by my other drive.

Q: Is it a software problem?
A: No. I have tried DVD Decrypter, Nero 7 and CDBurnerXP. All three programs fail to erase the DVD+RW when it has been burned but not finalized by my other drive, nor my DVD-RW under any circumstances.

Q: Is the firmware up-to-date?
A: Unknown. I have been unable to find a firmware update for the Philips SPD2513BD drive.

So, that’s the story. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to cdfreaks. :slight_smile:

This is basically a Lite-On rebadged burner, but Philips also released firmware update.
Not sure this will cure your problems though.:wink:
I’m sure other members will chim in soon.

Very good post btw. :clap:

[I]Edit.[/I] Ooops looks like I overlooked, your burner is a 2[B]5[/B]13
Whats your current firmware.

[QUOTE=pinto2;1930940]Welcome to cdfreaks. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

This is basically a Lite-On rebadged burner,

Really? Man, that brings me down. I just ordered a Lite-on drive to replace this Philips piece of junk (it has other problems which are more severe than those described above). How do you know it’s a Lite-on? And do you know to which Lite-on drive it is equivalent?

but Philips also released firmware update.
Not sure this will cure your problems though.:wink:

I’ve actually visited that very page before. It does have firmware updates, but not as far as I can tell for the SPD2513BD. Or am I blind, missing some link?

I’m sure other members will chim in soon.

Very good post btw. :clap:

Hehe… I try, thanks.

bump

If there are no newer Philips firmwares, you could always try to Crossflash into BenQ DW 2000 (or DW200S)… because on the old firmware (6B32), BenQ DW 2000 also can’t erase any RW discs.

I also had this problem with both your burner and also Benq DW1620 and the only way round it is to erase the disk in a different burner and then the disk will be ok in your drive to burn, but not erase. I tried flashing to different firmwares, but it made no difference. Funny enough, when the disk will not erase in the Benq 1620, if I put it in the Philips drive it erases fine.