Cant Eject Discs

Hi
I cant eject a dvd in my dvd burner ! Before this I installed VSO divx to dvd (which I have used before without nay probs)!

I turned my machine off during the night thinking the disc would be burned ready for use and didnt notice the disc hadnt been ejected! When I tried to boot up this morning I was stuck on the first page where I had to click F12 and had to use windows preset to boot up!

When I eventually got the pc going I looked in My Computer and found the drive letter (K) was missing and I couldnt eject the disc even manually!
So it looks like I have lost the DVD rewriter and the Drive letter geeeez!I am also unable to find what make of DVD rewriter I have as well! I am unable to look manually due to disability so if there is some software I need that will help me look please let me know!

Here is a screen shot from using DVD Identifier:

Can you help please?Remember I am noob hehehehe !

Thankyou!

[QUOTE=pyr8;1918496]Hi
I cant eject a dvd in my dvd burner ! … I looked in My Computer and found the drive letter (K) was missing and I couldnt eject the disc even manually!
So it looks like I have lost the DVD rewriter and the Drive letter geeeez!I am also unable to find what make of DVD rewriter I have as well! I am unable to look manually due to disability so if there is some software I need that will help me look please let me know!

Here is a screen shot from using DVD Identifier:

Can you help please?Remember I am noob hehehehe !

Thankyou![/QUOTE]

have you tried inserting something like a small paper clip into the small hole on the front of the dvd drive. this will manually eject the tray.

i found your drive from a previous post its a LG HL-DT-ST GWA-4164B here is a link to dell support. this is a download for a firmware upgrade.

This firmware resolves a boot issue with the HLDS GWA-4164B HH 16X DVD+/-RW Drive and Dell Resource CD.

i guess before you can upgrade the firmware your computer needs to recognize the drive? when you boot up does the drives busy light come on? if not then theres probably a power problem. looks like from your previous post that your dvd drive in on the primary ide channel.

21/08/2007 01:08:55 info New Drive selected : [B]0:0:0[/B] - HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B 1.01 [K] (Ide)

if you are physically unable to open the case and switch the drive to the secondary ide channel, is there someone that you can get to do this for you? if not we can uninstall the primary ide channel and bus master ide controller. let windows install the drivers upon reboot.

1. right click on my computer, then click properties
  2. click hardware, and then click device manager
  3. expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
  4. right click on primary ide channel and click uninstall, do not reboot yet
  5. right click bus master ide controller and click uninstall
  6. now click reboot.
  7. when windows restarts, the hard disk controller is reinstalled and another reboot will be required for changes to take effect.

let us know any updates or if you have more questions please ask.

troy

Thankyou very much for this Troy …just a few minutes before I got your message I had turned my machine off and went into the bios settings and made a couple of changes and when it carried on with the reboot low and behold my drive turned up again!

Do you think I should try what you have said anyway as this prob with my burner not burning my vids is getting to me and believe it or not I have a brand new burner in front of me and waiting for my eldest son to fit it for me!

I will try and use it again and post a log yet again for you to look at if thats ok?
Thanks again!

to help others with this problem in the future, what changes in the bios did you make? read though the page here. most importantly this quote

This firmware resolves a boot issue with the HLDS GWA-4164B HH 16X DVD+/-RW Drive and Dell Resource CD.

it is really up to you if you want to apply the new firmware.:iagree: but if you experience this again i would update the firmware.

have you tried to burn since your drive has turned up again? if its still not burning then yes. also since your son is gonna be there sometime to hook up the new one get him to make sure the LG HL-DT-ST GWA-4164B is not connected to the same cable as the hard drive. if you dont have another cable you can pick up another pretty cheap be sure to get a foxconn (40 pin/80 wire ide). you can order one from newegg for $5.(but shipping is also $5) link if you have a computer store near by im sure they carry one, or ive gotten parts for free from a local computer recycle center.

whats the new burner you have? if you have room and the correct connections in your computer you can have both connected.

glad to see some progress to your problem. please let us know any updates you have.

troy

Hi Troy
In reply to your last post!
I have an Acer not a Dell machine so dont know what you want me tto do regarding the firmware upgrade?

Details of changes made in BIOS:

[B]Advanced BIOS Features[/B]

When I checked the First and second boot devices both these were showing Disabled initially!
I changed the First and Second Boot Devices to read:

First Boot Device …from Disabled to [HDD:3M-HDS728080PL]
Second Boot Device…from Disabled to [CD/DVD:PM-HL-DT-ST]

I dont know if doing this was correct but after doing this the drive letter and drive came back to My Computer!

I tried to burn a movie to DVD disc last night using ConvertX to DVD and it seemed to work but a lot of noise from my machine while doing it (normally fairly quiet) sounded like the fan going faster and slower a high whine coming and going!
Unfortunately my machine decided to do a reboot after this so didnt get a log of events …if you need this I will try and burn a short sample so I can let you see a log of events from VSO software!

I have tried to play back the disc the movie was supposed to be on but In My Computor it shows nothing in the properties so guess it didnt burn geeeez!

The make of my machine is:
Acer Aspire T650-Y970 (not dual core)
Pentium 4 cpu 2.93 GHz 512mb RAM
O/S Win XP pro 2nd ed.

I use this machine mainly for media uses ie movies music etc I dont like my machine messing around like this geeez it keeps me in touch with the outside world you see!

I have included all these details to hopefully help you to help me!

Thanks again Troy!

pyr8 wrote"
I tried to burn a movie to DVD disc last night using ConvertX to DVD and it seemed to work but a lot of noise from my machine while doing it (normally fairly quiet) sounded like the fan going faster and slower a high whine coming and going!
Unfortunately my machine decided to do a reboot after this so didnt get a log of events."

Perhaps your drive is going kaput,try the new one…But the rebooting,to me sounds like a heat related issue,if you’re comfortable open case and see if it needs cleaning,blow some air in it to clean out,but be careful…or maybe a PS(power supply) problem…
As far as proggies,have you installed any besides VSO,maybe you’re having conflicting probs as well…
And IMO , I would up my Ram to 1Gig minimum for video processing…
just some things to look for!..good luck!..

Thanks TOnee

sorry, firmware only effects the dvd drive so this will not make any difference. there are two newer firmwares available here either the e113 or 1.05 will work. your current firmware is 1.01 so go with the 1.05. make sure there is not a disc in your drive during the flash and close all programs and do not do anything while the flash is in progress. after you flash restart you computer and perform the steps i outlined in my first post. note: if you have a secondary ide channel delete that as well.

looks good to me.

the faster and slower whining sound i would normally contribute to some type of dvd drive failure. whether it be a reading error or seeking error during a burn process or the drive is just no longer working properly. this can happen with low quality blank media, scratched disc or a drive going bad. in your previous thread i see this error 21/08/2007 02:56:13 error Write error at 51184 (16) - Code 03 02 00 [Medium error, Unable to seek the requested position] which looks like you are using low quality blank media. but in the same log i also see this 21/08/2007 02:46:12 info Media ID: MCC-004-00 which is verbatim dvd+r and is high quality media. so either your drive is going bad or

but lets hope thats not what is going on here. if its heat related then either your cpu fan is not working like it should or is covered with alot of dirt and dust. unfortunately you are unable to look due to disability. ive read where a member went through 3-4 drives over just a couple weeks and found out it was his power supply shorting out the drive. here is a really neat free program called pc wizard 2008 which will tell you all kinds of useful information about your computer including the cpu temperature.

PC WIZARD 2008 is also an utility designed to analyze and benchmark your computer system. It can analyze and benchmark many kinds of hardware, such as CPU performance, Cache performance, RAM performance, Hard Disk performance, CD/DVD-ROM performance, Removable/FLASH Media performance, Video performance, MP3 compression performance.

run this program when running convertx and see if your cpu temperature spikes up. idel temp should be anywhere between 30°C and 50°C, if it goes over 65°C i think you have a problem. but you will want to consult your motherboard manual for suggested temperatures.

there are several benchmarks available with pc wizard. run them and report back any errors or crashes. i dont know a whole lot about how to read the benchmark information so you will have to do some research on your own.

what other dvd converting or burning programs do you have? in convertx uncheck the burn to dvd. this will just perform the conversion and will save the output to hard drive. then use imgburn.com to perform the burning. this way we can see if the sounds and rebooting are during the conversion process or the burning.

i run some freeware programs on a regular basis to keep my computer running smooth. ccleaner, cleanup!, spybot search and destroy, adaware 2007 free, advanced windows care, registry fast(not free) regseeker and iobit smart defrag (manual defrag only). these programs are fairly easy and safe to use.

when your son comes to install your new drive be sure to have a to do list ready. including, but not limited to, setting the new dvd writer as secondary master, blowing the inside of your computer out with compressed air, making sure the computer is free of objects surrounding for better air flow and dont forget anything else mentioned in previous or future post.

troy

I will come back to you as soon as I have tried all of your suggestions! Thankyou again for your help Troy!!

the following quotes are from PMs.

since you are still here can you outline in as much detail exactly what you have done, whether as suggested or anything you have thought to perform on your own. you say that you tried other software and it didn’t work. what software did you use? how did you use it? please give details, lots of them.:iagree:

lets go into device manager and check if there are any errors next to the dvd drive. if you have any error codes let us know.

drivers will be installed by windows after deleting the ide channels as described in my first post. if you are actually meaning firmware, then go with the 1.05. linked here.

troy