Cant' determine who i should listen to

I just got off the phone with someone I could barely understand about tech support on my machine. I just decided to finally use my dvd burner and go figure i get an error(E:/ is not accessible…Incorrect function.) when i try and open the drive after ive put in a blank disc.
The drive plays dvds ok. So I called Dell support(dell dimension 8400) and they tell me that my computer does not have a dvd burner when i know very well that when i ordered the computer i payed for the upgrade to have it burn dvds not to mention I had them install a second drive as well specifically for burning dvds. So i did some searching and found this site and someone else who had an issue with the some drive and that person knew that it burned dvds so i need some help from you folks(especially since I dont trust Dell at all). The drive is a:_NEC DVD+RW ND-3100AD. If nothing else could someone confirim for me that it will or won’t burn DVD’s and if it won’t who makes a good dvd burner drive thats affordable and at least decent quality for a college student. I appreciate any help!

Thanks,
nebrown

go to google and search NEC DVD+RW ND-3100AD specs you will get your answers

the 3100AD is a DVD+R/+RW and DVD+R DL ONLY it does not support DVD-R/RW.

First thought, did you try opening your DVD Burning software and see if it can burn?

I did a google search is showing others having issues with the drive, so I guess you could try updating the firmware, you could try also using Verbatim DVD+R and DVD-R disks to see if it is media specific, and you could burning a CD also.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=132450

Eeek - that blows. :frowning:

He’d be better off with a Lite-On dual format burner like the the 160P6S:

http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=159&Itemid=67

so what i think im gettin here is that link will help me mod my drive and turn it into a a dvd burner?

Nope. What I was saying is for about $30-$35 USD, you can replace that burner with a fully-functional burner. Like this one with free shipping:

Or even this one:

Also with free shipping.

well that doesnt sound like too bad of an idea since all 120 gb of my hardrive are full and im in a pinch to get this info off the drive
thanks,
nebrown

You could try a DVD+R disk or even some CD media.

Do you have a DVD/CD burning program installed on your system?

By the way, Windows XP can burn CD’s directly, without an additional app.

i do not have a burn progrma that i know of i was just using xp…i typically use itunes for organizing my media…ya i could use cdr’s but would be much more practical fro the dvdr’s i checked out that link you sent me and just bought that media pack the drive and dvdr’s so we’ll see how that works out…im kinda an r-tard with this stuff…dammit i need to get a new mac :stuck_out_tongue:
thanks again so much,
nebrown

Have you looked on your START menu to see what programs are installed?

But don’t worry. There are free burning programs out there.

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

That one is pretty decent. You may want to try it.

If you download and install it it should be able to help you get started.

f__k me i just found this progrma on my cpu called sonic i installed it and it turned out to be a burn program i just burned a dvd (insert expletitive deleted)…especially since i just ordered that damn drive. see theres that r-tard thing goin again rofl

LOL! I’m sorry - just had to chuckle a bit.

That new drive that you ordered is a VERY GOOD drive, and will allow you to use both DVD+ and DVD- media, so you can get whatever is on sale and works best for you.

Thankfully, it’s only around $35 USD, so you are not out too much.

You may want to get a few DVD Rewriteable disks (they can be formatted and reburned over and over) until you get the hang of it. So you can practice and such.

I hope it works out for ya. :slight_smile:

luckily i was able to cancel the order right away so i guess i can mess around with this drive for awhile…i guess this is what i get for stayin up way too late screwin around with this when i should be studying :X. I’m sure I’ll be back up here again when I start trying to convert avi’s into a dvd playable format since that already doesnt work LOL. Looks like I have a lot to learn and looks like you might have a consistent source of chuckling until I figure this all out :stuck_out_tongue:
thanks times 10 or somethin like that,
nebrown

The ND 3100 can easily be converted to the ND 3500 which with the latest firmware is a very capable burner, reckoned by many to be one of the best that NEC ever produced.

Look here .