Can't Copy CD

vbimport

I bought a professionally mastered music CD that I tried to rip to my hard drive with EAC. The music is a continual blended mix and (EAC is the only program I know that can rip it in it’s original form) the end result was at 98kbs I knew something was not right. So I tried to adjust some settings and try again, this time EAC took so long, over 45 minutes which is very unusual so I had to cancel.

So I decided I better make a copy of the original before I totally damage it. I used Nero 9 and it would not make a copy, I tried the simulation and everything. I think EAC or my drive damaged it’s an LG HL-DT-ST CDRW GCE-85278 I have a brand new drive as well, but I am scared to put the CD in my new drive in fear of damaging (the drive) it. I need a copy of this CD can anyone help? I still have the 98kbs copy but that is below standard. Thanks!

Hi Chala,
Have you tried Windows Media Player, their is also a program that can clone this for you, it’s not free but is excellent for making a bit for bit copy.
The link is below.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/

[QUOTE=touchdown_1;2489159]Hi Chala,
Have you tried Windows Media Player, their is also a program that can clone this for you, it’s not free but is excellent for making a bit for bit copy.
The link is below.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/[/QUOTE]
Windows Media Player won’t make a “bit for bit” or exact copy, Nero will, but they want me to pay for Phone support, and e-mail support although free takes to long.

Funny about slysoft i have bought their Any DVD and Clone DVD, dont think i will be paying for Clone CD but thanks.

You can run AnyDVD while you do the rip with EAC.
Do you have EAC set to rip to .wav ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2489171]You can run AnyDVD while you do the rip with EAC.
Do you have EAC set to rip to .wav ?[/QUOTE]

No i don’t have EAC set to rip .wav i select “copy image and create cue sheet>> compressed” done it many times before it
rips perfectly to my drive. Not this time though, how will ANY DVD help?

AnyDVD will also remove any copy protection a CD might have.If this one does.
I usually use EAC to rip to .wav & no cue sheet.
Just a suggestion since the other way didn’t work.
I mostly use EAC for commercial CD’s.

[QUOTE=cholla;2489175]AnyDVD will also remove any copy protection a CD might have.If this one does.
I usually use EAC to rip to .wav & no cue sheet.
Just a suggestion since the other way didn’t work.
I mostly use EAC for commercial CD’s.[/QUOTE]

Cholla please let me ask you this, if i rip to wav no cue sheet, how do i then get it to MP3 format on my drive, sorry this is becoming quite confusing!

You have to use a converter.
I use dBPowerAmp.
You can also set up EAC to convert to .mp3’s.
EAC needs a codec for this like the Lame one.
I just like the settings & therefore quality of the dBPowerAmp .mp3’s .

[QUOTE=cholla;2489181]You have to use a converter.
I use dBPowerAmp.
You can also set up EAC to convert to .mp3’s.
EAC needs a codec for this like the Lame one.
I just like the settings & therefore quality of the dBPowerAmp .mp3’s .[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cholla, i am trying to create a iso file with ImgBurn right now, if that fails i will try your methos, thanks!

Hey Chala, make sure you set up/configure EAC and lame properly.
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_Lame
I normally don’t rip straight to MP3…I rip to lossless flac for archiving, and then I’ll convert from the flacs to whatever lossy format I choose…
dBPA is a very good app but fyi, it’s trialware…BTW, the registered version will convert to two formats(e.g flac and mp3, at the same time, using 'Multi Encode mode…
You can also use foobar2k(free) to convert ><from several formats…

@t0nee1 , I’m using an older version of dBPA that is freeware.I does everything I need it to.
You need to have the C:\Program Files\lame3.98.2\lame.exe in the path
Try this line in Additional command-line options in EAC for .mp3:
-V 0 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta “%a” --tt “%t” --tg “%m” --tl “%g” --ty “%y” --tn “%n” -m s %s %d
My settings look like this:( You can’t see the complete command-line above but it’s all there.

I am about to give up, i been on this for about 11 hours now. I gave in and tried Clone CD by Slysoft (trail version prepared to buy if works) cause i think this CD is copy protected. I have made 4 or 5 Verbatim -R coasters. I tried copying disc to disc on the fly, that did not work. Something got burned to my media but nothing can read it, not my computer or stand alone or anything else. I tried using Clone CD to create image to disk, it created four files a SUB file at 24 .4MB two IMAGE files one is 722MB to big for any CD, the other is 632 KB and a CCD 3.17KB. I tried ImgBurn and Nero and Clone CD with the cuesheet file CCD all coasters i give up!

Sorry to hear you are giving up.I think part of the problem is you are starting with creating an image.Try just ripping the files & then create an image from them.
You don’t need to waste discs.With ImgBurn you can create an .iso on your HDD.
You can test the .iso with VLC player.If that works then burn that .iso to disc.

Did you give EAC a try as above with AnyDVD on before you insert the CD you are trying to copy?
The command line I posted above works for a commercial CD(the kind that has a band or artist ).So it needs ID3 tags.If yours doesn’t have or need tags you might want to use this simpler one: -V 0 --vbr-new -m s %s %d
This produces a high quality .mp3.
If you are interested you can get the free version of dBpowerAmp here:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/dBpowerAMP
It’s been a while but I think to get the .mp3 conversion to work (at least the latest version) you need to add this file to the
C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\Compression folder. lame_enc.dll
You can get this from lame3.98.2

[QUOTE=Chala;2489252]I am about to give up, i been on this for about 11 hours now. I gave in and tried Clone CD by Slysoft (trail version prepared to buy if works) cause i think this CD is copy protected. I have made 4 or 5 Verbatim -R coasters. I tried copying disc to disc on the fly, that did not work. Something got burned to my media but nothing can read it, not my computer or stand alone or anything else. I tried using Clone CD to create image to disk, it created four files a SUB file at 24 .4MB two IMAGE files one is 722MB to big for any CD, the other is 632 KB and a CCD 3.17KB. I tried ImgBurn and Nero and Clone CD with the cuesheet file CCD all coasters i give up![/QUOTE]

Chala,
If you have AnyDVD, and you think your disc is copy protected then rip it through AnyDVD, that should remove any protection that is on the disc.

If it’s a standard Audio CD, not sure why the OP is not able to rip with the recommended rippers(e.g. EAC, DBPA…
@ Cholla, yes installing the latest Lame v 3.98.2 and replacing the older 3.93.1 which the older free dBPA uses, works…That said the the CD ripper/converting options in the new/latest trialware vesions of DBPA still function after trial…Just not Lame mp3 conversions and other features…Flac, wav, etc. still work…

@t0nee1 ,I guess I need to see if I can install a newer version & keep the older one working to.Or see if I can tweak the new one to do what the older one does.
Since I’ve always bee satisfied with the way EAC rips I don’t need to hurry on that.
My old version with the codecs I’ve added will convert these:
AAC to Mp4
FLAC
Monkeys Audio
Mp3 (Lame)
Mp4 to AAC
Nero Digital Audio (AAC)
Ogg Vorbis aoTuV b4 SSE2
Test Conversion (No Write)
Wave
Windows Media Audio V9.1
The Apple lossless one didn’t work.It produced a .mp4 that nothing worked with.
The Mp3-Fraunhofer also didn’t but with the Lame one it’s not needed anyway.
I didn’t know AnyDVD would rip a CD as touchdown_1 posted.I will have to give that a try.

Hey cholla,
I don’t know that it will work,but nothing else seems to have worked for the OP and if he thinks it’s copy protected, hey, why not try AnyDVD, if it decrypts it great, if not nothing gained nothing lost.
:slight_smile:

@touchdown_1 , I went ahead & tried a comercial CD with AnyDVD.Apparantly AnyDVD will only rip DVD’s.
It will decrypt a comercial CD though & that’s why I use it with EAC As an extra step to remove copy protection .Since I paid for it I feel I might as well get max use.
@Chala ,If you are still trying.What type files are on this disc ?
For example .cda

[QUOTE=touchdown_1;2489357]Chala,
If you have AnyDVD, and you think your disc is copy protected then rip it through AnyDVD, that should remove any protection that is on the disc.[/QUOTE]

So AnyDVD will remove the protection on a CD? Then I don’t need AnyCD which I was trying the trail version?

[QUOTE=cholla;2489571]@touchdown_1 , I went ahead & tried a comercial CD with AnyDVD.Apparantly AnyDVD will only rip DVD’s.
It will decrypt a comercial CD though & that’s why I use it with EAC As an extra step to remove copy protection .Since I paid for it I feel I might as well get max use.
@Chala ,If you are still trying.What type files are on this disc ?
For example .cda[/QUOTE]

Cholla you been so helpful I can’t thank you enough. The CD was part of a retail 8 CD Box Set the Disc in question is 14 tracks but they are mixed into one another like a DJ would do in a club, no pauses. EAC can only rip that one way the way I understand it “Copy image & create cue sheet” or 'Test & copy image & create cue sheet" any other way will separate tracks.

Bottom line, the CD I was trying to burn was part of a retail 8 CD Box Set. It appears to be damaged with errors, cause I am able to burn, and rip the other discs in the Box Set, although there are skips and pauses in one or two songs, (I don’t know why) I used Verbatim -R with AnyCD maybe I need to use ImgBurn or EAC but I was not able to rip and burn not that one. Now I have to examine further and find a good program to check, examine, and possible restore CD’s if you know of one please let me know.

That’s good to know thanks, cholla…:cool: