Can't clear evidence of VideoLAN software

vbimport

I recently downloaded and tried the VideoLan Media Player which, after a while, I decided not to keep. As it did not appear to come with it’s own uninstall prog or appear in the Windows control panel ‘Add/Remove Programs’ I was left with no alternative but to ‘right click’ on the program and delete it to Recycle Bin which has been since emptied.
I followed this with ‘Start’>‘Search’ >‘All Files & Folders’ and deleted all references to VideoLAN which I could find.
I have since run two registry cleaning tools and also deleted all obvious ‘File Types’ in the Control Panel ‘Folder Options’.
Despite all this I am still getting files which, when ‘right clicked’, still show as type VLC Video.IFO file and offering the option of opening with VLC Player; even on files which have been added to PC since the VideoLan program was deleted. I have even been to Windows Media Player and made sure this is set as default and also, again in Control Panel Folder Options made sure that the .IFO file types are set as ‘Open With’ WM Player. Annoyingly, in this window, it says that the default type for the .IFO file is VLC Media file.
I’ve exhausted my knowledge so, please, please has anybody got any further suggestions on how I might get rid of all evidence of this, now annoying, software.

PS. Forgot to say. Am using Windows XP Pro SP3.

that’s THe thing I hated most about “wideo LAN” aka “VLC”

It replaces all the different windows icon on ALL media files… anywhere on
your computer… with VLC’s own “orange traffic cone” icon and naming it “VLC file type”

I consider VLC to be a Virus.

I personally “fixed” the problem by copying my IE favorites and my E-mails and
switching to one of my cloned backup Hard drives…

I have since discovered that on Win2k and Win XP systems that VLC doesn’t do all that damage
if a newer Windows media player is installed AFTER VLC.

WMP likes to be the default media player and it will do so until it is DE-selected after installation.

If you already have WMP11 you might try deleting and re-installing WMP11.

AD

I like VLC & when time is taken on the install you can select not to have VLC be the file association for certain files. I have VLC installed & no files on my OS have the VLC icon. So it’s a matter of installing VLC correctly.
@ lydeard , What you need to do is Install VLC again . Then in the Program Files on your OS you will find a folder named VideoLAN/VLC in it is an uninstall.exe . Use that for the uninstall.
I don’t know if this will remove the file associations already installed . You may need to right click on files you find the VLC icon on select properties & change to the file association you want for that file type.
Right now you have an incomplete Uninstall & you need to do as I posted above to get a clean uninstall.

Many thanks for all replies. I tried what I thought would be the easiest suggestion first, ie. re-downloaded and installed VideoLAN (VLC) then found the uninstal.exe file and ran that. So far I have been unable to find any files associated with, or reference to VLC, so it looks like ‘YIPPEE’, you’ve solved it. Not got much hair left though.

[QUOTE=lydeard;2574762]Many thanks for all replies. I tried what I thought would be the easiest suggestion first, ie. re-downloaded and installed VideoLAN (VLC) then found the uninstal.exe file and ran that. So far I have been unable to find any files associated with, or reference to VLC, so it looks like ‘YIPPEE’, you’ve solved it. Not got much hair left though.[/QUOTE]

That’s is why one must do a custom or individual install so you can see what the changes it is trying to do or other software or tool bars it tries to install without your consent or knowledge or approval. So anytime in the future always pick custom install option and see what changes you or the software will do and then you will be able to choose the right settings rather then do the recommend which could include toolbars you never intended to install in the first place or other software.

Okay, point taken, Many Thanks

Yes, but if you are not intimately familiar with the specific software package
many of the changes/shoices presented are little more than alhabet soup to even experienced, but unfamiliar, users.

AD

Following on to this discussion

I was disgusted to find all my media icons turned to those silly cones and viscerally dislike software that takes liberties like that.

I followed the advice to ‘re-install in order to uninstall’, but the second install wouldn’t proceed.

Eventually I right-clicked the item in the download window’queue and got a message saying ‘do you want to uninstall the existing version of VLC’? I said yes, and it uninstalled.

Still some odd bits of mess to clear up, and I shall miss the ability to loop video between markers, but those traffic cones!! I have some self-respect!!

robert58

What bugged me most about those silly traffic cone icons and "Video LAN files"
is that it made it impossible to distinguish between different media file types at a
glance. Which was after all the point of M$ using many different icons.

AD

What’s even more amazing is the inability of most mainstream media players (they know who I mean) to loop anyway. Every DAW has it as standard, and if Audacity can do it (no offense), anybody can.

Why does it take IT technology such an age to catch up with people’s legitimate expectations of it?