Can't buy Panasonic

Seems everyone advertises Pana. ES model DVD recorders, but nobody has them. Help:sad:

[QUOTE=jake4025;2285761]Seems everyone advertises Pana. ES model DVD recorders, but nobody has them. Help:sad:[/QUOTE]

The ES series recorders were last built for the US market in 2006.

By law, tuner-equipped products intended for sale in the USA were required to have digital tuners beginning with those manufactured on March 1 2007.

Panasonic’s response to the law resulted in the “digital tuner” EZ series introduced in the spring of 2007. The EZ series has well-documented bugs and design flaws, many of which have not been corrected by firmware updates. Thousands of customers have returned EZ series machines for any number of reasons.

I own eleven functional 2005-2006 ES series machines and five (somewhat) functional 2007-2008 EZ series machines.

Most of my ES series machines (the 2005 DMR-ES30V, the 2006 DMR-ES35V and DMR-ES15 models) have and continue to provide outstanding service. (The dreadful 2005 DMR-ES40V model is the exception among my ES series machines. This flawed and stripped down machine makes one wonder why this machine ever reached production.)

My EZ series machines (the 2008 DMR-EZ28 and 2007 DMR-EZ17 models) generally provide minimally satisfactory service through the use of workarounds. The main EZ series problems are related to timer scheduling, a variety of machine lockups and the inability to maintain a hold on digital broadcast or digital cable “channels.” Due to these problems none of my EZ machines are currently used to tune and record digital broadcast or cable signals. Four of my EZ machines record from composite line inputs or analog channel 3 as slaves to a Comcast Motorola DCT700 (“digital” to analog) cable box. One well-maintained but often unreliable DMR-EZ17 has been removed from service. There are many hundreds, perhaps thousands, of AVS Forum posts that discuss EZ series problems.

I also own four digital-tuner Philips and Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders that provide outstanding service.

While new Panasonic ES DVDRs are no longer available in normal US chains, places like World Import still sell several new ES models.
Note I’d personally stay away from the ES-18 or even the ES-68 since I’ve read they may be based on the EZ chassis, something like a ES-15, ES-35v combo, EH-57 w/hdd or even the EH-67 w/hdd are all based on the '06 ES design.
Note all of these [I]international[/I] DVDRs don’t have a ATSC or even NTSC tuner, but for line input recordings(from a STB) they work quite well.

I have an ES 35V. when under warranty, it showed no disc or incompatible disc. Got it repaired at no charge. Now it is happening again. Pana wants minimum $135 for repair plus shipping. I would go to another brand but I really enjoyed using RAM discs. Watching from the start while still recording.
I took it apart and cleaned lens and spindle. No luck.

The [I]$130[/I] is a flat rate repair, no matter what they find wrong. It’s a incredible deal when you consider something like a bad DVD drive can cost upwards of $400 if purchased separately and they you would need to pay labor on top of that!
The ES-35v is a decent machine and has proven to be quite reliable with the occasional spindle cleaning. As you can see from my link, WI sells a similar ES-35v for $499:eek: so you can see how $130 is well worth it.
Even the current EZ recorders are pushing $300 and they have many bugs not found in the ES series.
If you like the ability of being able to play the beginning of a program while the end finishes, any DVDR with a HDD can also do that. The only current one available new is the Magnavox 2160[I]A[/I], available only at Walmart, for ~$250. Their is currently a bug with the [I]A[/I] models where you cannot finalize a disc unless their are no programs scheduled in the timer, hopefully a firmware update will fix that. The 2160A has a ATSC/QAM digital tuner and a 160GB HDD, no VHS though.

[QUOTE=jake4025;2285918]I have an ES 35V. when under warranty, it showed no disc or incompatible disc. Got it repaired at no charge. Now it is happening again. Pana wants minimum $135 for repair plus shipping. I would go to another brand but I really enjoyed using RAM discs. Watching from the start while still recording.
I took it apart and cleaned lens and spindle. No luck.[/QUOTE]

I own six functional DMR-ES35V models, all outstanding performers. Half my DMR-ES35 models have accumulated more than 3,000 recording hours per machine.

There is a good chance that your DMR-ES35V needs, at the very least, a replacement of the DVD Drive or Digital PCB. The DMR-ES35V Service Manual cautions that these parts must be replaced together as a “module.”

The Panasonic Service and Technology Company in Kent Washington supplies parts to independent repair shops and the general public. Here is the parts description and price for this “module:”

RFKNES35VP RAM/DIGITAL PCB MODULE $458.67

That price does not include shipping to a local repair shop and the shop’s labor to install the module. What if you need a power supply electrolytic capacitor replacement? Due to extensive disassembly this would require around one hour labor plus the $2 capacitor that Panasonic usually prices around $15.

The best alternative is the $130 flat-rate repair that includes all parts, labor and return shipping that quickly and efficiently brings a Panasonic back to new functional condition. [B]This $130 flat-rate repair may be had only at the corporate Panasonic Digital Service Center in Elk Grove Village Illinois.[/B] See this post for more information:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f106/panasonic-dmr-eh75v-failure-panasonics-woeful-customer-service-248098/#post2111599