Can't burn to DVD-R

vbimport

Hi,

I’m a totally newbie, and don’t have a clue - so I apologize, I’m probably not going to be able to provide all the information you’ll need to help me, but would appreciate some help!

I’m trying to burn to a blank Kodak DVD-R from my IBM thinkpad T40. I have a HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4242N CD / DVD Drive. I think that I’ve burned to these Kodak DVDs from my laptop before (maybe I’m wrong), but when I try to burn to it now, I get a “please insert disk into drive D:” message. (I’m just dragging and dropping files to the D: drive.

Can anyone tell me if I should be able to burn to DVDs with the hardware installed? If so, any tips or suggestions to get it working?

Thanks!

Your drive will only read dvds not burn them it will only burn cds.

Which operating system do you have in this laptop? Windows XP can burn to cds by dragging and dropping files, but it has no native dvd burning engine.

If you are using Windows XP, try a free dvd burning program like ImgBurn or CDBurnerXP.

Edit: Jethro has the better reply. He looked up the model number of your burner! He is correct of course. Your burner is a combo drive which can read and write to cds, but can only read dvds.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2187552]Which operating system do you have in this laptop? Windows XP can burn to cds by dragging and dropping files, but it has no native dvd burning engine.

If you are using Windows XP, try a free dvd burning program like ImgBurn or CDBurnerXP.

Edit: Jethro has the better reply. He looked up the model number of your burner! He is correct of course. Your burner is a combo drive which can read and write to cds, but can only read dvds.[/QUOTE]

No Kerry I only fix laptops knew off the top of my head…lol