Can't burn/read dvd, can't read cd, but can burn cd... Acer Aspire 9302WSMi

Hi everybody, first I have to say that i’m french and my english isn’t very good but i’ll try to report my problem as i can…

I bought an Acer Aspire 9302WSMi (the first and last time i deal with that brand, their support is non existing) in june 2007, few weeks later my cd/dvdrw not work as good as it should. It’s a Slimtype SSM-8515S with firmware v GRS6. I tried to upgrade it to GRS9 firmware but i couldn’t (here’s a capture of the error message : http://cjoint.com/?mFp4gw4cmL ).

The problem is that i can’t read (both retail or burned dvd) or burn dvd, i can’t read burned cd (only retail cd can be read), only thing i can do is burn cd. So only retail or blank cd are recognized by my computer. For dvd i have a message that say “insert a disc” or something like that.

Somebody can help me. I don’t want to send my Notebook to acer support because a lot of consummer had problems with acer’s support.

If someone can translate in french (via MP) the “how to” for upgrading that @!§??/ firmware, it will be cool.

Thanks for futur help.

[QUOTE=waree;1965796]Hi everybody, first I have to say that i’m french and my english isn’t very good but i’ll try to report my problem as i can…

I bought an Acer Aspire 9302WSMi (the first and last time i deal with that brand, their support is non existing) in june 2007, few weeks later my cd/dvdrw not work as good as it should. It’s a Slimtype SSM-8515S with firmware v GRS6. I tried to upgrade it to GRS9 firmware but i couldn’t (here’s a capture of the error message : http://cjoint.com/?mFp4gw4cmL ).

The problem is that i can’t read (both retail or burned dvd) or burn dvd, i can’t read burned cd (only retail cd can be read), only thing i can do is burn cd. So only retail or blank cd are recognized by my computer. For dvd i have a message that say “insert a disc” or something like that.

Somebody can help me. I don’t want to send my Notebook to acer support because a lot of consummer had problems with acer’s support.

If someone can translate in french (via MP) the “how to” for upgrading that @!§??/ firmware, it will be cool.

Thanks for futur help.[/QUOTE]

I wonder who told you that flashing a firmware would or could magically fix all your problems?? :confused:
The Laptop is under warranty, so please use it.

[quote=chef;1965847]I wonder who told you that flashing a firmware would or could magically fix all your problems?? :confused:
The Laptop is under warranty, so please use it.[/quote]

I have read in some forums that upgrading to firmware GRS9 fix some problem and improve reading dvd…

I just want to upgrade my firmware to GRS9 and if nothing happen, i’ll try another solution. If that won’t fix my issues why there is so many tool to flashing lite on firmware ? I downloaded some of them but i need a step by step explication…

I guess that you haven’t deal with acer’s french support, if you do you won’t tell me sending my laptop to their support. I know people that wait one year (???) to have their stuff back, or having more problems that when they send it…

LiteOn’s firmware flashers are very picky about what drive string they see. If there is one space that shouldn’t be, or one space that’s missing, you can’t flash.

Step 1 will be to backup your firmware using the Flash Utility from the LiteOn forum.

Step 2 would be to maybe [I]ask[/I] C0deKing to take a look at the firmware you backed up and compare it to the firmware updater and figure out why it won’t flash. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind getting the firmware from that drive for the CodeGuy’s library of FW, either. :wink:

[QUOTE=waree;1966095]I guess that you haven’t deal with acer’s french support, if you do you won’t tell me sending my laptop to their support. I know people that wait one year (???) to have their stuff back, or having more problems that when they send it…[/QUOTE]

Luckily I hadn’t yet, sounds really not good…

Thanks for answer,

I flashed my firmware with the GS08fix.exe, then i flashed it with the 8515GS09 that i downloaded from the lite on website. I made a mistake, i didn’t back up my previous firmaware GRS6 (don’t know how to do), i only backed up the EEprom…

But nothing changed, i still can’t read dvds…

Could you tell me how to back up the firmware ? A member of my family have the same notebook (Acer Aspire 9302WSMi) and i’ll try to take the firmware from his pc.

Is the EEprom or firmware the same thing ? I guess not, but…

Thanks

Boot up in SAFE MODE, then try to access that problematic media.

As for backupping Liteon firmwares, check out the codeguys website.