Can't burn past 8%, fails with 1.55/1.57 firmware

vbimport

Bought a Pioneer DVR-109 2 month’s ago and it has worked very good until i decided to flash it to some never firmwares.

Although i had some problems with it not burning the discs, the drive burned the lead-in but then just spinned up and stopped, spinned up and stopped for about 15 minutes or until you pressed cancel in DVDDecrypter.

So i decided to try 1.55 firmware and it burned one disk good, then if i try to burn another it won’t burn past 8% and just spinned for a couple of minutes.
After reboot i could burn one disk and the procedure starts over.

So the 1.55 firmware didn’t solve the problöem so i tried the 1.57 firmware and it fails every time, seems like it freezes or something.

I’ve burnt about 150 discs so far with different dye’s, G05, AN31, INFOSMART31 and they’ve worked very very good.

I am pretty sure that this is not a hardware problem since i’ve used a NEC ND-1300A, NEC ND-2500A and now this Pioneer DVR-109, and yes i use the 80-pin IDE-cable and it’s installed on my Secondary Master with UDMA 4.

Anyone know how to solve this problem? or should i look for a new burner, i assume Plextor make the best burners on the market?

Maybe you flashed with the wrong firmware versions (A09/109XL firmwares on a 109 drive)? If so, you’ll need to re-flash with DVRUpdate.

Or maybe you were sold an OEM version? I don’t know if these exist actually, just trying to guess.

“or should i look for a new burner, i assume Plextor make the best burners on the market?”

Not anymore, new Plextor drives are rebadged Benqs, so why pay the extra price. The Benq 1640 is probably “the best drive on the market” by now, but personally with all the reliability issues with Benq, I gave in when my 1620 died on me (actually about a week ago). Yeah, Benq drives are great… when they work :doh: . I’m happy with my Pioneer 109 and my NEC 3540A. :stuck_out_tongue:

And the Pioneer IS an excellent burner!

Oh and I’m not saying that it’s the source of your problems (then again… :confused: ) but hey “G05, AN31, INFOSMART31 and they’ve worked very very good.” - all these have TROUBLE written all over. Whatever happens with your Pioneer, try to choose your media more wisely in the future :wink:

Well thing is that i only flash with firmwares directly downloaded from www.pioneer.se which is the swedish site for Pioneer Corporation in Sweden.

I’ve heard that it is possible to flash it as a A09 but i haven’t tried that.

You mentioned all my dye’s as “bad media”, the funny thing is that my NEC ND-2500A burns it flawless and so did the Pioneer DVR-109 until this problem occured. And the main reason i bought Ritek G05 was because alot of people said that it is a very good media… it worked good for me earlier :slight_smile:

I know for a fact that i am not the only one with this problem, i saw a couple of people on rpc1.org with the exact same problem.

Although they’ve changed mobo/ram/psu and so on and even tried different cables, i can’t believe it’s a hardware issue relating to the other parts in the PC, it has to be something with the firmware in the burner or something in the burner that isn’t working properly.

I mean if they tried the burner in another computer and the problem persist it has to be something with the drive, or am i wrong?

Can you recommend any good firmware, or maybe one that came with the drive because it should do the job i am pretty sure, since my burner worked very good earlier :slight_smile:

// Thanks in advance, Tomas.

“You mentioned all my dye’s as “bad media”, the funny thing is that my NEC ND-2500A burns it flawless and so did the Pioneer DVR-109 until this problem occured. And the main reason i bought Ritek G05 was because alot of people said that it is a very good media… it worked good for me earlier”

That’s why I’m not saying your media are the source of your problem. Though it could be a part of it. Could. BUT the media you use will certainly bring new problems for you in the future, because they’re all medias that degrade at a scary fast rate.
About G05, I’ve never been convinced that they were great (still using lots of G04 here though), only had proper results with Traxdata branded and Maxell branded G05 discs - you may read these two recent threads about G05 problems:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?p=1084595#post1084595
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=143715

And my personal experience with G05 discs:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1078643&postcount=66
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1078644&postcount=67

“I mean if they tried the burner in another computer and the problem persist it has to be something with the drive, or am i wrong?”

Highly probable :iagree: (Er… that it’s the drive!)

“Can you recommend any good firmware, or maybe one that came with the drive because it should do the job i am pretty sure, since my burner worked very good earlier”

Here is the problem. Your drive is not working with 1.55 and 1.57, though mine and most 109 users’s drives DO… :doh: - there is no such thing as a “secure” firmware for the 109 in general. I use 1.55.

Yeah, there must be something wrong with your drive, maybe it’s defective but I have no idea of what can cause a drive to have such a behavior, working with firmware X and not with firmware Y. Personally I would take the drive back to the shop.

One thing you can do is use DVRupdate to flash back to whatever firmware you had before upgrading. See if that works. But you’d be stuck with old writing strategies and media support… so this issue MUST be fixed.

Bleh, it’s almost cheaper to buy a new burner than send it for repair :frowning:

Do you think a crossflash will make any good or should i aim for the 1.40 or 1.50 firmware maybe…

And what kind of brand for the discs can you recommend, i usually buy from http://svp.co.uk and the last ones i bought were RiDisc Ritek G05 8x, but they work at 12x… truly odd :slight_smile:

Still waiting for rpc1.org to come up and show you the other threads there…

The drive should be under warranty still. Not?!

RPC1.ORG and it’s forum is BACK. :clap:

“And what kind of brand for the discs can you recommend, i usually buy from http://svp.co.uk and the last ones i bought were RiDisc Ritek G05 8x, but they work at 12x… truly odd”

@12X is overspeeding for G05, allowed with latest firmwares for the 109. Manufacturer speed is still 8X. You have to know that it’s the firwmare that decides which speeds are available, not the disc :wink:

From SVP, I have no experience with 8X discs cheaper than 24p/disc, with the exception of these Ridisc Xtreme that I tried recently, with terrible results on the Pioneer :Z . Actually they give better results on my NEC, but anyway I don’t trust them at all.
I’m not saying that any 8X media cheaper than 24p/disc is shit, just that I have no experience with it.
The cheapest SVP 8X -R discs that I can vouch for are the TDK TTG02 that they sell in 25-discs spindles, these work well on the Pioneer, not top discs but good.
But now with the price drop of 8X Verbatims MCC02RG20, considering the small difference in price, next time I’ll order more of these peace-of-mind 8X Verbs. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Bleh, it’s almost cheaper to buy a new burner than send it for repair”

As Chef says, your drive must still be under warranty…!

yeah i have warranty on the drive but the thing is that they might not find any probem when trying it so then i’ll have to pay 20 bucks for the shipping to them, another 20 bucks for shipping back and 30 more for the testing.

In other words, it’s cheaper to buy a new one :slight_smile:

The thread on rpc1.org concerning the same problem… http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=35485

In this case, try to test the drive in another computer. Really the best way to find out if the drive works correct or not. :wink:

Er… thinking… the problem you describe in your first post: does it happen with all the different discs you mention, or only with one type of disc?

In the latter case, it’s probably just a speed burning problem, as newer firmwares allow overspeeding of G05 for example… You would then have to manually select the rated speed for the disc instead of leaving the “max” setting in Decrypter. None of your medias is good enough to be burned at higher speeds than the rated one.

I had a very similar problem to this and for sure in that thread link to the rpc forum. I beleiev I may have the answer

Did u install from windows update the HighMAT CD Writing Support wizard, if so try binning it, if that doesnt work hose your OS and clean install You can update anything “do not update the highmat”

My whole 109XL story, saw it on a webby a while back cheap so shopped around and grabbed a silver one. It came with 1.40 f/w i believe. I ran it in a usb 2 box and it was the worst drive i have ever used, (disapointed for a pioneer fan). I wacked it in on ide (with 80 wire) and still the same. f/w 1.50 came out I grabbed and that fixed the burn strategys and reading and i was yet again a happy pioneer owner. A couple weeks ago I come back of holdiday and hit on windows update and there for some unknown and ridiculous reason I added highmat, which I never ever do.

A couple days later and it starts this hang on the lead in and cycle cycle. I updated to 1.58 f/w but no diference infact it got worse where as before that f/w update i was getting about 1/3 coaster im now getting 1/4 success. One time DVD Decrypter said incompatable media many times before failing and I was like WTF

I dropped the OS re installed everything pretty much except that Highmat update and its now back to burning again 2 burns so far without a hitch on (Verbatims (“Real”)), well I damn hope so cuz pioneer rma is bad, you are better of binning the drive than dealing with them. I really dont want to think my 109XL is on the way out after not more than 100 burns. That is where Plextor rma does kill all others stone dead. But the pioneer drives are generally superior to Plex dvd burners.

Very useful info, nitronutter :clap: - this won’t -probably- help the original poster (not everyone subscribes to threads), but may help others. :iagree:

You are lucky using such a good burner to produce usable burns with that crappy media. Counts partly not for the G05, but all others!!
The NEC burners you’ve mentioned using a UDMA2 Host Interface, the Pio 109 a UDMA4 Host Interface. Even if it seems to be correctly installed, some mobos and BIOS’es are picking badly on that UDMA4 Host I/F.

Seems I was wrong after 5 discs its started cycle cycle again, and 2 of the discs it did burn wont play in everything.

rang pioneer they said RTS which by huge mistake I got this from Dabs so by the time iv paid retrun postage to them and had the usual BS it works fine theres np etc and lottsa of arguing it may aswell go to the bin. The pioneer chap said they haver never supplied drives with verbatim media, funny that as I know fact my old A05 Retail came with a single pioneer 4x disc that was yep manufactured by Verbatim, still he agreed that shopping wiht Dabs is not the best way to, he never goes to them himself anymore, guess their reputation preceeeds them, which is a shame as they were at one time a great place to buy from.

I guess ill be trying a 110 sooner than I think, fortunatly I can use my 712a for sl, and ill see how the 110’s come out, Id guess they are really cutting costs now to make them so cheap, not a good way to go, I would much rather pay twice the price or so and get a pioneeer burner worthy of that companies badge. /me wonders if the XL-C silver facia will fit on a 110 :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like poor quality media to me…

I’m having the exact same problem, so far I must have ruined 20 discs, I have a 109 cross-flashed with the latest a09 firmware (1.58), I honestly can’t remember what the original firmware version was but I can’t remember having any problems.

Some of my discs make it to 8%, I think about the point it changes burn speed from 4x to 8x, some doesn’t even start to burn they just fail at 1% but by then the disc is ruined.

HELP!!

This would help if you would mention the discs used :wink: - it’s possible that a distinct mediacode has problems with some firmwares…? Who knows.

I really got so bored that I now have quoted myself…
Huh, maybe it helps. :o

Hi Chef :), in case you’re referring to my question, it was adressed to nick.king, not to Scootie :wink:

I’m, just like you, mainly suspecting a media quality issue (but who knows).

I just wanted to underline that we just like to know the media ID. :iagree: