Can't burn or read DVD's no more!

vbimport

It’s a Sony DVD±RW DW-D56A. It won’t read the a DVD but will read CD’s and burn CD’s no probs. I used to be able to burn DVD’s all the time but one day it stopped.

A mate told me that the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers are set wrong and to change it. He says the:

Primary IDE Channel: should be set to Transfer Mode: “DMA if available” and Current Tranfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2.

Secondary IDE Channel: should be set to Transfer Mode: “DMA if available” and Current Tranfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 5.

Now the secondary IDE Channel is right but the Primary is wrong. How do I change it. I can’t from the device manager. Any other way???

Test the drive in another computer to find out if the dvd part is dead or not.

It’s a in a laptop, right? If you don’t have another one, you can try “uninstalling” the IDE-channel in Device Manager and have Windows re-install it after a reboot. Check your DMA again after that, but it sounds like the drive may be broken as chef said.

It can read CD’s and burn no probs so I doubt it’s broke! I’ll try that cheers. Can I change it from the BIOS??

Your drive can be broken as the cd and dvd lasers are seperate!

No need to go into the BIOS;
Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Check here .