Can't burn Memorex DL DVD or Sony DL DVD

vbimport

I’m new to this so please bear with me.

The first Dual Layers DVDs I ever bought were Sony brand. I used them without any problems. After that I bought Memorex; my laptop will not burn them using any software I have. I currently use Cyberlink.

My laptop is an HP Pavilion dv9727us; the DVD burner is the stock burner that came with the laptop when I bought it a couple of years ago. It sia Slimtype D?V?D A DS8A1h ATA with lightscribe capability.

Originally I thought that it was purely a Memorex issue, but after I bought another batch of Sony I am now getting the same error. It says something like Jump Fail Address and then spits out the DVD.

I tried Gigablock dual layer DVDs and they burn fine, but the layer break also screws up everytime.

I’m stuck.

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The problem is that 99% of media available in the market have a very variable quality from ugly to barely decent.

With dual layer discs the problem is even worst. Currently, there is only a single brand that produce reliable DL discs: Verbatim.

With Verbatim media you should solve :slight_smile:

Moreover, I suggest to check again the Sony discs you burned in past: there is a probability that these discs are not more readable. One of the main side-effects of low quality discs, in fact, is the quick deterioration after burning.

Your burner is made by Lite-on. You might get better results by updating the firmware from HP, if one is available.

You probably just got a bit lucky with the first batch of Sony DL disks. They were probably a different type—different mid code than the latter ones, and the last ones weren’t particularly compatible with your drive.

The only double layer dvds that we recommend are made by Verbtim. Either the 2.4x-6x or 8x varieties should work for you, though laptop burners are not particularly great burners, especially for DL media, and Lite-on isn’t known as the best brand for burning DL in the first place. Still, the Verbatim would be your best bet.

I also recommend ImgBurn for burning anything, but especially for DL disks. If you are burning dvd-video, it will set the layer break properly where other programs fail. Try them at 4x first, if your drive will support that speed on DL media.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2609307]Your burner is made by Lite-on. You might get better results by updating the firmware from HP, if one is available.

You probably just got a bit lucky with the first batch of Sony DL disks. They were probably a different type—different mid code than the latter ones, and the last ones weren’t particularly compatible with your drive.

The only double layer dvds that we recommend are made by Verbtim. Either the 2.4x-6x or 8x varieties should work for you, though laptop burners are not particularly great burners, especially for DL media, and Lite-on isn’t known as the best brand for burning DL in the first place. Still, the Verbatim would be your best bet.

I also recommend ImgBurn for burning anything, but especially for DL disks. If you are burning dvd-video, it will set the layer break properly where other programs fail. Try them at 4x first, if your drive will support that speed on DL media.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info; I used to use Imgburn, but started to have problems (I found out later they were PC related). I’ll try that on my desktop computer. It too was having layer break issues and I use Nero Lite on that one. I’ll install Imgburn and see how it goes.

That’s a bummer to hear about Sony, I thought they were the best on the market. Oh well! I try Verbatim next.