Cant burn ISO's, is it Clones ISOs, the drive, Or?

vbimport

Hi all. This one actually coastered 6 or 7 discs this weekend, so I figure I better chase it down before the costs really add up. I frequently wanna back up my DVD library in WAVES, so rather than burn DVDs 1 at a tyme (Which takes 30-60 minutes total) Ill often grab a stack (My library is over 200 movies and I have a big SATA HD) and burn some ISOs quick in a few minutes each…then burn em later when Im not too busy and can let it cook and swap discs without caring.

This weekend I had 4 ISOs that I made/saved with CloneDVD in the past few months that I had never gotten around to burning to disc. And yes, for note purposes, I have burned ISO files made with CloneDVD successfully in the past, both with Clone and Nero to burn the ISO when I was ready for the actual burn. usually always successful in the PAST…

ALL 4 ISOs failed to make a working copy on repeat attempts this weekend. I tried burning the DVDs with both CLONEDVD and with NERO (Thats MULTIPLE attempts at 3 of the 4 titles) and NO SUCCESS. The discs are almost unreadable after they finish burning usually. UNFORGIVEN (On of my favorite movies) will only load on the PC to the menu…as soon as I try and play the movie, it starts spinning the drive and freezes the player in a perpetual search.(PowerDVD or WinDVD). If I use NERO SHOWTIME, it does tell me that some files on the DVD may be missing or damaged…do I wanna try and play anyway? Saying yes leads to the lockup…so I pretty much know the disc wasnt burned properly and now important files cant be read. Putting these discs in the set-top players is basically the same result, no menu loads and it sits there.

I HAVE made certain backups (Parenthood is an example) that after burning(Either direct copy or made from saved ISO), the backup WOULD NOT LOAD TO THE PC. If I go to play it/test it on the PC immediately after creation, the softwate hangs just like its doing now with Unforgiven et al…, go to Windows Explorer, and it takes forever to load the directory to the screen as if it cant even read the disk directory contents, and executing the files is a lost cause? BUT…if I throw Parenthood (Or a couple of others that act similarly) into my SET-TOP Players…they work PERFECTLY? Load normally, play normally, EVERY tyme on both my set-tops. Go figure? Ive never figured out why that happens…but since they are backups and they play on the set-tops (Both), Ive never cared…as I ALMOST never watch movies on the PC anymore.

HOWEVER, in the current problem with Unforgiven, iRobot, et al…let me point out that now…if I grab the original off the shelf,(Yes, I really do own em), it plays FINE in all 4 cases…I can change chapters, doesnt skip and has no scratches I can see(iROBOT is slightly scratched, unforgiven looks perfect, both PLAY fine). I RETRIED making a fresh ISO file of Unforgiven using CloneDVD (The original file was made a month ago or so Id guess) and NO…the resultant DVD burn from the fresh cloneDVD ISO file was identical in the type of failure as the previous file.
iROBOT will load the menu after a considerable wait(maybe 8 or 10 seconds), but stutter and freeze shortly after the movie starts on either of my set-tops or on the PC. (Wont play past chapter 2 or 3 if I remember). ATLANTIS doesnt even load the menu on any machine.

OK, we know I have an obvious/serious problem. We know what the problem is(The discs cant be properly read/played after burning?). Now, we need to determine WHAT IS CAUSING the problem? How best to do that?
I tried a simple whole-disc copy of an unprotected title using NERO (One of my babys educational DVDs) and it appears to have copied fine and plays normally on both the PC and the 2 set-tops. That tells me the burner isnt COMPLETELY dead and can do SOMETHING correctly? (Toshiba 5272).

I tried disabling ANYDVD before loading CloneDVD or Nero (To make sure it wasnt affecting drive commands by either program, since its not needed in BURN ISO mode anyway) and that made NO DIFFERENCE. identical failed burn results.

I HAVENT tried loading DVD Decrypter or DVDShrink again and making an ISO with those and burning to see if they have better success…does that seem a logical next step to try and determine if its a software issue?

I have backed up probably 50-75 of my movies in the past 2 years using this PC and drive(Actually had an old 4x drive for part of that). I never had any serious problems till a month or 2 ago. I am currently using retail TDK 8x DVD-R disks, I loaded the latest firmware to the toshiba with no change. I am not asking a CloneDVD use/function question, as much as a HOW SHOULD THIS PROBLEM I HAVE AFTER USING CLONEDVD, BE DIAGNOSED TO DETERMINE IF CLONEDVD…OR SOMETHING ELSE…IS THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM question?

Any ideas appreciated.

The problem is very simple :).
Toshiba SD-R5272 is “allergic” to TDK 8x.
Explanation in a nutshell:
I tried this media with my Toshiba drive some months ago. First and last coaster. It simply can not handle it. I updated the firmware to 1031. The problem still persisted.
So, the solution is to change the media. This Toshiba drive likes best Ricoh media and preferably DVD+R.

Good luck.

Thats possible. I was using Generic media till it ran out, and ABOUT a month or 6 weeks ago was when I got the TDKs. Though I have made quite a few successful copies on TDK discs since that tyme…many coasters have been made as well (This weekends COMPLETE failure was only the worst single incident, but other coasters have appeared). Come to think of it, when I was using the generic spools (1 from STAPLES, 1 with GQ label) I dont think I ever MADE a coaster from an original disc that played normally without errors. You may very well be on to something, thanks!

I think Frys(Outpost) still has their in-house generic media on sale…might be worth dropping 6 bucks on a 25 spool for a test. Even if it still fails, thats cheap enough. Unfortunately, both local buddies with burners, are into +R only (They have newer drives and can set bit-types) so I cant fine anyone to give me just 1 -R of another brand.

Will update when I get a new brand to try.
Thanks for the reply.

TLK914,

I really don’t understand what you mean when you describe your DVD media as “Generic media”. How DVD media is described is by providing the Manufacture ID and Media Code. To acquire the Manufacture ID and Media Code of your DVD media use a software utility similar to DVDInfo Pro (http://www.dvdinfopro.com)

A little help in deciding which DVD media to use.

Suggest visiting the CD Freaks DVD Recorder Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61) for your particular DVD Burner and see which DVD Media other Forum members have reported that work for them.

Suggest visiting the CD Freaks Media Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33) and see which DVD Media other Forum members have reported as good reliable DVD media.

Suggest visiting the Video Help DVD Media List (http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia) and see what other users have reported about particular DVD Media.

Also the most economical place to purchase DVD media is from one of the Online Web Sites similar to Rima (http://www.rima.com).

Best Regards,
bjkg