OK, ok, I’m not a newbie, but first we all have to get “back to school” someday and the general “optical drives” forum doesn’t have much activity.
There it is: on one of my systems I can’t get to burn faster than 12X, i run into buffer underruns as soon as the drive tries to write faster than 12X.
This is with any drive, Benq 1640, Nec 4550, Nec 3540. So not a drive issue.
MSI 848P-Neo V, Celeron 2.26. The first one who says it could be a CPU issue gets a one way ticket to the moon (I can burn @16X on an old 900Mhz system).
I ruled out:
- DMA of course. This is fine.
- Fragmentation. Source disc not fragmented.
- Source disc. Tried another HD. No change.
- HD DMA. UDMA 5, so not an issue.
- Cable. Changed cable, no change.
- Antivirus. Deactivated it, no change.
- Background apps. Nothing special.
- Burning software. Same problem with Both Nero and Decrypter (using spti).
I’m out of ideas, even if I suspect it can be a power supply issue. Is it possible? Does anyone have other ideas? Thanks!