Can't burn DVDs (but can read and burn CDs)

Hello,
My drive is HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4166B and I’m running Windows XP Professional with SP3.

I tried to use both Nero and Ashampoo burning studio, but both can’t recognize the blank DVDs. I tried a different brand of media (Verbatim this time), but still it doesn’t work.

I am able though to read DVDs and CDs, and burn CDs.

I searched for the latest firmware (found it on HP website, and it’s from 2006), but when I tried to install it, it said I don’t need to…

What should I do?

Thanks!
Tom

Try to install the writer in another computer and see if the problem also “moves along”.

Do you mean to get the actual drive out of my computer? I better call a technician for that… isn’t there a better way to check it before doing that?

Hi,[QUOTE=tomchook;2300561]Do you mean to get the actual drive out of my computer?[/quote]:iagree: And then install it in another computer.

I better call a technician for that…
I guess, you have a HP computer? Then check HP support website for your computer model. They have lots of documentation, including service or maintenance manuals. With these, it shouldn’t be a problem to remove the drive without calling an expensive technician.
isn’t there a better way to check it before doing that?
In case, you have another working optical drive in your computer, then yes, there is.

Michael

[QUOTE=tomchook;2300561]I better call a technician for that…[/QUOTE] Usually calling a technician and have him replace the drive is more expensive than purchasing a new drive. Don’t you got some smart neighbour or a local radio shack that can test this for you for very little money?

I just wonder if there’s a software solution before trying to get it out? DVD burners are relatively cheap, so I might just replace that one, but before I would like to know if I can check something in the preferences maybe?

[QUOTE=tomchook;2300654]I just wonder if there’s a software solution before trying to get it out? DVD burners are relatively cheap, so I might just replace that one, but before I would like to know if I can check something in the preferences maybe?[/QUOTE]

You can try another burning software, like Imgburn
Other than that it sounds like the DVD Laser may be out.

That drive is a bit old and research says the life is only 3.5 years on average on that model.