Can't burn DVD+R on SlimType

Hi everybody:)

I have a problem and i hope you can help me.

I’ve purchased a HP PAVILION dv6000 six months ago and it comes with a SlimType DVD A DS8AZH which says that can burn a very variety of CD/DVD formats and it was. But since 1 month i experienced the problem that i cannot burn DVD+R discs (and i did can before.).

I have Windows Vista (it came with the computer)
i already updated the DVD drive Driver.
Thanks in advance. :wink:

Welcome to the forum, maybe trying to unistall the drive in the device manager then restarting computer might help?

Hello, and thanks for you help. I did what you said but it didn’t work. Everytime that i want to copy a DVD movie the drive ask me for a DVD-
R and i don’t know why. I have a lot of DVD+R and i did can burn on them before. I’m using NERO. Do you know where i can change the medium format for burning? (from DVD-R to DVD+R). Thanks Again:D

[QUOTE=placebo2040;1959624]Hello, and thanks for you help. I did what you said but it didn’t work. Everytime that i want to copy a DVD movie the drive ask me for a DVD-
R and i don’t know why. I have a lot of DVD+R and i did can burn on them before. I’m using NERO. Do you know where i can change the medium format for burning? (from DVD-R to DVD+R). Thanks Again:D[/QUOTE]

This should be automatic. Unless the dvd your copying is a -R. If so use the same type -R media, but could be the drive too.

HI, thanks for reply THE C. I think you are right, when i try to copy a -R DVD it doesn’t say what kind of medium it needs(i can use whatever i want (+R,-R,etc…)). But … do you know why it forces me up to use a +R when I’m trying to copy a +R DVD? Can I re-configure that or it’s a Drive Limitation? THANKS AGAIN, i really appreciate your help.:smiley:

It will depend on how the DVD+R was recorded. You can cross flash the drive, but… since you have very little experience in this deptartment I would just use same media as copy your copying from. As for the limitation, are you talking about the speed of the read and burn of your burner or software?

Hi, Again. About the limitation, I’m talking about copy from a DVD-r to a DVD+r and visceversa. because for me is a limitation, cuz i have had computers with different drives burners and i had never this issue.
Do you know if REINSTALLING Vista will help?

Thanks so much.

[QUOTE=placebo2040;1961619]Hi, Again. About the limitation, I’m talking about [B]copy from a DVD-r to a DVD+r[/B] and visceversa. because for me is a limitation, cuz i have had computers with different drives burners and i had never this issue.

Thanks so much.[/QUOTE]

Please have also inmind that DVD-R can hold a few more MB than DVD+R can.

[QUOTE=placebo2040;1961619]Hi, Again. About the limitation, I’m talking about copy from a DVD-r to a DVD+r and visceversa. because for me is a limitation, cuz i have had computers with different drives burners and i had never this issue.

Thanks so much.[/QUOTE]

If you have tried all else, a reinstall of Vista wouldn’t hurt. Do you have recovery disks or is there a recovery console in the computer?? Chef brought up a good point, how big is the file your trying to put on the DVD-. Remember you must leave at least 300MB to finalize your disk. DVD-R your copying from might be just a little to big for the DVD+R disk your coping to!

[I]Off topic.[/I]
My apologies to OP.

[QUOTE=THE C.;1961778]… [B]Remember you must leave at least 300MB to finalize your disk.[/B] DVD-R your copying from might be just a little to big for the DVD+R disk your coping to![/QUOTE]300MB to finalize DVD disc…? :disagree: OMG, where did you learn this nonsense.

If you don’t have any idea how DVD+R/-R is burned then you better take your time and do some read up first, please. :wink:
Thanks.

Maybe I’m wrong, but it could be that “THE C.” meant that answer in combination to using Multisession Mode on DVDs…

[I]Off topic.[/I]
Once again, my apologies to OP. :wink:

While well off topic but I think both [I]THE C[/I] and [I]chef[/I] need an answer.

Disc description/library or TOC is written in discs lead-in. No matter if we talk about a single session or multisession disc the TOC is 256 logical blocks in size (256 x 38688 bits) ~1.2 MB. This area is (reserved) to [I]finalize[/I] the disc.
As all can see there is a big discrepancy to the 300 MB what been said above by THE C.

But, I’ve to admit, there is a little more “discspace” lost when burning a multisession DVD, although this “additional loss” has nothing to do with “finalizing” of disc. (The “loss” can easily be regained ad the outher area of disc.)
I’ll stop here not to make all this to complicated and way off topic. Everyone interested in details can read up further on at ECMA.

pinto2,

I know what you mean. I know whats behind multisession for cd and dvd. :wink:

In case of CD the first session fixation wastes around 23mb just for that. :smiley:

Hello again. First of all, thanks for everybody for trying to help me out. About the space that i have to leave for the right burning between medias DVD+r to DVD-r (and visceversa). I have burned the same DVD on my brother’s macbook, i have made the same that i made on the Vista laptop and used the same media too and no problems happened. I really prefer not to reinstall vista cuz i have a lot of personal info and configurations on programs that i don’t wanna lose. So if you have some help for this or any suggestions it will be welcome, thank you.

Is there a [I]repair function[/I] within “vi$ta”??