Can't burn DL faster than 2.4x

this is odd. i have a dvr-212d pioneer, a few months ago i burnt off a batch of dl at 4x with verbatims and memorex dl media w/o problems.

(sata burner on asus p5w dh deluxe mobo)

recently it kept failing power calibration on dl discs but sporadically worked with single layer so i felt it was dying (less than a year old)

bought a replacement dvr-212d but v1.24 fw seemingly won’t burn faster than 2.4x on supposedly 8x dvd+r dl 8x rated discs (philips) using nero 7.

any ideas?

crappy media ?

[QUOTE=rei;1975707]this is odd. i have a dvr-212d pioneer, a few months ago i burnt off a batch of dl at 4x with verbatims and memorex dl media w/o problems.

(sata burner on asus p5w dh deluxe mobo)

recently it kept failing power calibration on dl discs but sporadically worked with single layer so i felt it was dying (less than a year old)

bought a replacement dvr-212d but v1.24 fw seemingly [B]won’t burn faster than 2.4x on supposedly 8x dvd+r dl 8x rated discs (philips)[/B] using nero 7.

any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Yes, el crappo DL media!!

Philips Dvd+R DL 8X, made in Taiwan. The Write Speed is only what the program was set at when I took the pics. BTW I would recommend this program for burning DL, rather than Nero.

Yep, the only drive maker that might support those discs [CMC MAG D04] at 8x is LiteOn. Seems that everyone else played it safe and locked it to 4x or 2.4x. If the OP’s discs are the same MID [which is probable], then that might be where the problem comes in.

the odd thing i was able to burn faster with the same drive (before i replaced it with the same model) a few months back with the memorex (yeah yeah i know memorex is shitty, have known for years) …in fact burnt off a dozen or so with at least 4x DL speeds. odd.

[QUOTE=rei;1976025]the odd thing i was able to burn faster with the same drive (before i replaced it with the same model) a few months back with the memorex (yeah yeah i know memorex is shitty, have known for years) …in fact burnt off a dozen or so with at least 4x DL speeds. odd.[/QUOTE]

It could be that the Memorex discs you used before were made by a different manufacturer - Memorex outsource to various different companies. :wink:

I think the problem here in this case is that Philips DL 8x media has different MIDs depending on the packages you can buy, eg. 25 spindles have a different MID than discs in a 10 pack.
From my experience, CMC MAG D04 can be really good media (with the right drive, of course). I’ve burned a bunch of them with Pioneer burners at 2.4x. What was weird is that they were rated 2.4x, not 8x…

The spindle that the pics are from holds 25. I posted yesterday my latest burn of one in Samsung SH-S203B DL Only Scans & Discussions.