Can't burn at Max Speed

vbimport

Hi,
I recently built myself a new computer system, and when I tried burning cds it would not allow me to burn at the speeds it is supposed to be capable of. I have a NEC ND-3540A burner, and Nero OEM suite 6.6.0.8.
The CD’s are rated for 48x but it will only let me select 8x or 16x, I have checked for driver and firmware updates for the drive but there were none available. When I called the store the person I talked to said it might be settings in Nero, can someone tell me what settings he might have been talking about? I’ve checked all the ones i could find but nothing seemed relvant…

You need to check that DMA is set on for the burner.

each of my IDE channels were set to “DMA if available”

What brand are the CD’s?

(I have unbranded CD’s that, while marked as 48× capable, will only be allowed up to 24× by my PlexWriter.)

one pack i’m not sure of, I think their Futureshop brand and I can’t remember what speed their rated for, but on my old burner i could burn those at 12x (which was the top speed for that burner), and the other pack is MITSUMI rated for 1x-48x ( those are the ones it lets me go up to 16x with.)

while I’m here, is it normal to be able to burn a 4.5GB DVD-R at 8x in just over 8min.?? I was expecting it to take alot longer!

while I’m here, is it normal to be able to burn a 4.5GB DVD-R at 8x in just over 8min.?? I was expecting it to take alot longer!

That’s about right. It does tell use that your system is performing OK, DMA set right etc.

It is most likely that the CD speed issue is down to the media not being liked by the burner.

I use Verbatim CD’s (Pastel, Super AZO & Datalife Extra Protection) & some Sony. All burner at max speed.

Used to buy whatever was cheapest , both CD & DVD. Not now though, I go for quality.

Your 8x speed is right on.

As for your CD-Rs, the label on the package isn’t always the holy grail of disc information. If you went for the wholesale stuff, you might want to use some sort of disc ID program to find the media code of your particular discs. I believe one such program comes with Nero, though I can’t remember what exactly it’s called. Once you get the media code, you can google it and/or check your burner’s site for compatability issues. It’s likely you just have bum media.

well, it would seem that you are right, I bought some Memorex cds and then it let me go to 48x.

thanks for the help