Can't burn anymore - DVR-115D (x2, neither working)

vbimport

I am stumped.

I have two identical Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-115D ATA units. They have both worked flawlessly in the past. Haven’t burned anything for a while - now when I try they BOTH fail to write. They start the process, write the lead-in then fail.

I have updated the firmware:

Device Type: DVD/CD-Rom
Vendor ID: PIONEER 
Product ID: DVD-RW  DVR-115D
Product Rev: 1.22
Vendor Info:  08/07/25  PIONEER  

Can’t find an updated driver anywhere - using Windows 7 Ultimate default driver.

I have tried several programmes and none work.

I have just plugged in an old external Emprex 16x USB DVD writer and it worked first time using Nero BurnLite 10 with Maxell 52x CD-R for copying MP3 files.

So why are neither of my DVR-115D units burning? :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have problems with CD only? Did you try to use a different brand of discs?

Yeah try another brand disc like Geno888 was saying. Another thing to try is to unplug the IDE cables a couple times because sometimes the cable causes the problem. And finally you might have to clean the laser lens, you have to take it apart to get at it, then use a q-tip and isopropal alcohol very very gently wipe the lens.

another thing to try is to delete unwanted upper/lower driver filters link

Thanks for the responses guys. have tried different media - CD and DVD - all same result.

Don’t think it is dirty lens - not simultaneously on two drives. Both drives can read CDs and DVDs, but not WRITE them.

Still stumped. . .

Because of [B]most[/B] media brands are low quality disc, is possible that all media you tried are still the cause of problem.

To definitely exclude media as cause can you do a test with proven quality discs? I mean Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden. If these fails too, then there is something wrong in drives.

Can you install these drives in a different computer? If also in another machine drives are not working, then drives are faulty. If in another machine drives work correctly, then there is something wrong in your operative system.

Can you post a log of a failed burn? Can you try also a different burning software, just to be sure that nero is not the cause of problem? I suggest to use ImgBurn (a log file is produced by ImgBurn too, and maybe there are useful information to understand where is the problem).

Geno888 - thanks for the response and the advice. Will do some further tests as suggested. . .

[QUOTE=eric93se;2583333]Yeah try another brand disc like Geno888 was saying. Another thing to try is to unplug the IDE cables a couple times because sometimes the cable causes the problem. And finally you might have to clean the laser lens, you have to take it apart to get at it, then use a q-tip and isopropal alcohol very very gently wipe the lens.

another thing to try is to delete unwanted upper/lower driver filters link[/QUOTE]
eric93se - Have followed link and d/l imgburn. Here is what I get:

===============================================
 Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.5.5.0
 ===============================================

Upper Device Filter:  [None Found]
   Upper Class Filter:  GEARAspiWDM
                 Device:  CD/DVD-ROM Device
   Lower Class Filter:  AnyDVD
 Lower Device Filter:  [None Found]

Filter Name:  GEARAspiWDM
           File Name:  C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\GEARAspiWDM.sys
         File Version:  2.02.00.01 [2.2.0.1]
    File Description:  CD DVD Filter
      Product Name:  CD DVD Filter
    Product Version:  2.02.00.01 [2.2.0.1]
     Company Name:  GEAR Software Inc.
             Copyright:  Copyright (C) GEAR Software Inc. 1997-2009

Filter Name:  AnyDVD
           File Name:  C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\AnyDVD.sys
         File Version:  6.6.8.8
    File Description:  AnyDVD Filter Driver
       Product Name:  AnyDVD
     Product Version:  6.6.8.8
      Company Name:  SlySoft, Inc.
             Copyright:  Copyright 2002 - 2010 SlySoft, Inc.

. *****************

Doesn’t mean much to ME :confused: - does it trow anything up that you can see is erroneous??

Cheers.

It seems that this “GEAR software” messed up with drivers.

Try to uninstall them and let Windows to install again standard drivers. This should solve.

If I’m not wrong, ImgBurn should allow to remove these filters, but I never did this, so I’m not able to suggest a solution :frowning:

PROBLEM SOLVED -

Turns out that Kaspersky Internet Security is the culprit. Other searches on t’interweb referenced this, so I switched off all of the proactive/application management features (leaving Anti-Virus running) - and I can burn disks just like before. So now just need to work out how to make these two play nicely together. . .

Thanks for all the help guys. Appreciated.

Thanks for posting the solution :slight_smile:

I never thought that Kaspersky could be so… invasive :eek:

If you have Itunes you might want to try either updating it or uninstalling then installing the latest version. GEARAspiWDM/536