Can't Burn After Disc has Been Read

Hey everybody, hope you’re doing well. Thanks in advance for your help.
I’ve recently built a new computer with SATA Hard Drives, SATA DVD Drives, Quad-Core Processor and 2 Gigs of ram running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 and DVDFab 6. When I try to copy, the disc reads fine but when it comes time to burn, there is no progress being shown at all. After about 3 or 4 minutes it says the burn process failed but when I remove the DVD-R, a small portion or it has been burnt (trashed). Any ideas?
Thanks

[QUOTE=handy2;2289404]… After about 3 or 4 minutes it says the burn process failed but when I remove the DVD-R, a small portion or it has been burnt (trashed). Any ideas?
Thanks[/QUOTE]
Hi handy2 and welcome,

First guess is that VSO (Fab’s default burn engine) has screwed up.
If this is the case, you have 2 routes:

1. Dump VSO and use Img.
    It’s a much more reliable and configurable burn engine and can be accessed within Platinum and Gold and thus become the “default” burn utility. We can help you with setting it up.

2. Troubleshoot VSO.
    This may be quick and easy and it may become like troubleshooting windoz. In 2-3 months and after reformatting [I]ad nauseum [/I]and losing most of your hair, you’ll wonder why you didn’t opt for 1).
    We’d be happy to help with either…personally, I’d opt (and have) for Img.

BTW, nice rig!.
I’m hoping to build a new one with an Intel Core i7. That is, when I can convince my wife that my 4 1/2 yr-old-build needs a replacement.
Wish me luck…:stuck_out_tongue:

If you go with maineman’s suggestion on ImgBurn you’ll find it to be a wise choice :wink:

[QUOTE=maineman;2289413]Hi handy2 and welcome,

First guess is that VSO (Fab’s default burn engine) has screwed up.
If this is the case, you have 2 routes:

1. Dump VSO and use Img.
    It’s a much more reliable and configurable burn engine and can be accessed within Platinum and Gold and thus become the “default” burn utility. We can help you with setting it up.

2. Troubleshoot VSO.
    This may be quick and easy and it may become like troubleshooting windoz. In 2-3 months and after reformatting [I]ad nauseum [/I]and losing most of your hair, you’ll wonder why you didn’t opt for 1).
    We’d be happy to help with either…personally, I’d opt (and have) for Img.

BTW, nice rig!.
I’m hoping to build a new one with an Intel Core i7. That is, when I can convince my wife that my 4 1/2 yr-old-build needs a replacement.
Wish me luck…:p[/QUOTE]

I hope I’m not post jumping…or whatever it’s called, but Maineman could you explain procedure for changing vso to img burn? thank you, Jim.

Thanks maineman and StormJumper.
Can you explain what might have caused this? Does it have something to do with SATA drives maybe? I have also uninstalled DVDFab 6 Gold and reinstalled but had no luck.
At this point, I’m willing to do whatever the best thing is for my problem. I would like to know what caused the problem though so I can fix it in the future if I ever have to restore or if I build another computer. Thanks again for your help.

As far as my newly built computer, I’m not that impressed with the Quadcore and have considered taking a step backward to dualcore.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2289484]If you go with maineman’s suggestion on ImgBurn you’ll find it to be a wise choice ;)[/QUOTE]
Right backatcha Tim…:wink:

[QUOTE=sharrrri;2289531]I hope I’m not post jumping…or whatever it’s called, but Maineman could you explain procedure for changing vso to img burn? thank you, Jim.[/QUOTE]

Sure, just follow StormJumper’s guide…look in his sig…^^^.
Quick and easy.

There are also video tutorials available courtesy of troy512
You can look in his sig or try this link:

Hope the link works ok. I’m at work right now and youtube is blocked by the corporate firewall…sigh

maineman, thanks, but after giving it more thought, I think I would rather try to use the VSO burning engine. If that’s not to difficult, will you help me with that please? Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=handy2;2289532]Thanks maineman and StormJumper.
Can you explain what might have caused this? Does it have something to do with SATA drives maybe? I have also uninstalled DVDFab 6 Gold and reinstalled but had no luck.
At this point, I’m willing to do whatever the best thing is for my problem. I would like to know what caused the problem though so I can fix it in the future if I ever have to restore or if I build another computer. Thanks again for your help.

As far as my newly built computer, I’m not that impressed with the Quadcore and have considered taking a step backward to dualcore.[/QUOTE]
No, I seriously doubt that the SATA drives are the cause, but this could be related…depending.
I know the burners are connected to SATA ports but…
do you know how the burners are configured in your bios? IDE or SATA?
I also don’t think that this has anything to do with the fact that you built your rig.
Many of us do and most of us are not engineers. It’s not that big a deal and it’s kinda fun.
Besides, you get [I]exactly[/I] what you want when you build your own.

I’ve seen quite a few similar problems over the past year with VSO. This is likely to be an access layer problem.

Any chance, you’re using nVidia drivers?
I mean nVidia chipset drivers, not graphic card drivers

Sorry I’m at work right now and gotta run.
I’ll give it some more thought when I get a chance.
In the interim, any details you can provide will help us nail it down.

[QUOTE=handy2;2289651]maineman, thanks, but after giving it more thought, I think I would rather try to use the VSO burning engine. If that’s not to difficult, will you help me with that please? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, just seeing this now…like I said. I’m at work and will be until late this eve.
Sure, I’ll be glad to help you with VSO.

First off, go into device manager and delete all instances of the Patin-Couffin driver. Expand VSO…at or near the bottom and then delete all pcouffin drivers.
You may have multiple installs.

Now download a new Fab app and reinstall Fab. No need to uninstall first, at least right away, but if you want to do it now, StormJumper has a complete uninstall guide in his sig.

When you install Fab, be sure to install VSO also.

Let us know.

I am using Nvidia chipset drivers. I’m running two 250Gb hard dives in a stripe raid.

[QUOTE=maineman;2289636]Right backatcha Tim…:wink:

Sure, just follow StormJumper’s guide…look in his sig…^^^.
Quick and easy.

There are also video tutorials available courtesy of troy512
You can look in his sig or try this link:

Hope the link works ok. I’m at work right now and youtube is blocked by the corporate firewall…sigh[/QUOTE]

The video tutorial was great! Seems to be working. thank you, Jim

[QUOTE=sharrrri;2289704]The video tutorial was great! Seems to be working. thank you, Jim[/QUOTE]:cool:

[QUOTE=handy2;2289667] I’m running two 250Gb hard dives in a stripe [B]raid[/B].[/QUOTE]…Ouch

[QUOTE=handy2;2289667]I am using[B] Nvidia chipset drivers[/B].[/QUOTE]…Double Ouch

Ok, here’s what I know, which isn’t much since I’ve never run in a raid configuration or used nVidia chipset drivers.

For several years, I’ve seen a number of problems related to yours. Things certainly may have changed, but both RAID and the nVidia chipset drivers have a history of being problematic with respect to burning dvds and SATA ODD’s.

I know little about RAID, but it seems as though there is little benefit and perhaps a large, potential cost when running on a home/gaming pc.
Again, JMO and I don’t know beans about it…not meant as a criticism.

I would uninstall the nVidia chipset drivers and load the XP default drivers. I think that you should do this via control panel with the nVidia installer/uninstaller.
I think that this might prevent the nVidia drivers from reloadong on reboot, but I’m not sure.
I can’t seem to find the thread where this was discussed, but I’ll keep looking as time permits.

You might try a google search as I probably missed it.
This old brain ain’t what it used to be…:doh:

You also might consider dumping the RAID configuration in your bios and if still having problems, changing your ODD’s to IDE in bios as well.

I did find this thread which is related to your plight and offers some insight:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/sata-optical-drives-nvidia-amd-soutbride-northbridge-chipsets-problems-254033/

You also might consider posting the problem in the burner subforum or even better in the newbie forum…not that you’re a newb, but there’s a good chance that someone like [B]mciahel[/B] (as in Michael…one of the mods in the link I posted) will see this and respond.
He won’t be guessing at solutions like I am…;)…and I would hate to be the cause of creating more problems for you as opposed to fixing them.

maineman and everyone else involved with my problem, I hope you’re doing well. Sorry for the late reply, I’ve just been busy. I just wanted to let you know that I’ve decided to try imgburn and I already have it set up. I haven’t tried it yet but when I do, if I have any any problems, I know where to go for help. I do appreciate all your help.

[QUOTE=handy2;2291289]maineman and everyone else involved with my problem, I hope you’re doing well. Sorry for the late reply, I’ve just been busy. I just wanted to let you know that I’ve decided to try imgburn and I already have it set up. I haven’t tried it yet but when I do, if I have any any problems, I know where to go for help. I do appreciate all your help.[/QUOTE]
Excellent choice and you’re very welcome.
A lot of us use Img and since Fengtao has it integrated with Fab, you can always post any questions right here.

For more detailed/technical help, you can’t go wrong with the Img support forum. Be sure to check out the FAQ thread by LUK! before posting as he covers many of the more common problems right there:

ImgBurn Support Forum

Hey maineman, remember me? I installed the imgburn but I’m still having the same problem. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

[QUOTE=handy2;2295983]Hey maineman, remember me? I installed the imgburn but I’m still having the same problem. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, unfortunately I can’t say I’m surprised.
I would look first to your nVidia chipset drivers and then your raid array that I mentioned previously.

Please see post #13
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/cant-burn-after-disc-has-been-read-276637/#post2289892