Can't burn above 4x on mt 4163B drive

vbimport

I’m using a GSA-4163B with Philips 8x DVD+R media and the only speed available for burning is 4x. :confused: Here’s the ID of the disks…

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:INFOME-R20-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Infomedia Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [INFOME]
Media Type ID : [R20]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
[Method 2 Might Not Always Detect All Speeds]

As far as I can remember, I’ve had the same problem with other media (Mr DVD) Can anyone tell me how to get my drive to burn at 8x or more? :bow:

Thanks

What firmware version is your drive at? You may have to update your firmwareto the latest and greatest. You shoud be at A105, I believe. http://tdb.rpc1.org/

cannot see that id in the firmware, maybe a case that you will need to add it with ala’s MCSE

The R30 version is, presumably it would be simple enough to change R30 to R20 & disable 12/16x speeds.

@flameproof - here’s the link to get MediaCodeSpeedEdit http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/.

I have the same problem i cant burn faster then 4x i tried all the firmware. Im using 16x verbatim(MCC 004) and 8x Fujifilm (ProdiskF01). The driver is set to UDMA 2 and its on a 40 pin 80 wire cable. I tried it with all the different setting Master Slave Cable Select. I also tried it in a extranal encloser on a laptop.

Sure, that DMA is on or only Pio-mode?

Tried a 40-pin-cable?

nforce-chipset?

I’m using the latest (105) firmware - I received this reply from LG:-

Thank you for your email. Please find a list of the following recommended media: CD-R - LG, Mitsubishi Chemical, Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, TDK or SKC CD-RW - LG, Ricoh, Mitsubishi Chemical, Verbatim DVD-R - Fujifilm, Maxell, TDK DVD-RW - JVC, Mitsubishi Chemical, TDK DVD+R - Taiyo Yuden, Maxell DVD+RW - TDK, Fujifilm DVD RAM - Maxell, Panasonic Philips is not one of the recomended media types. Also you may need a firmware update. Yours sincerely LG Electronics UK Helpdesk

To which I replied…

I have the latest firmware installed and you know what…? There is NOTHING wrong with the media, there was a bug in the firmware which meant that it was applying the wrong write strategy to these disks - the media ID R20-000 SHOULD have prompted the drive to burn at 2.4-4x and 6-8x, however, the drive would onbly allow 4x.

I edited the write strategy in the firmware to allow ALL SPEEDS for R20-000 disks and they not only burn perfectly at 8x (as they should) but they also give great results at 12x and 16x.

While I like this drive, I’m fed up with you and other manufacturers playing your PETTY little corporate political games like favouring certain media manufacturers - this is now the 5th revision of the firmware and as far as I can tell, this error exists in EVERY VERSION along with MANY other errors which cripple the drive when presented with non ‘recommended’ media.

I believe that there is a strong case for investigation here under european trade laws and I will be raising this matter with relevant bodies.

While I like this drive, I’m personally fed up with the games that these manufacturers are playing - of course there are poor quality media out there, but this is obviously an error in the firmware, (the R20-000 is listed in the write strategy of firmware 105 - however, the drive does not apply it). At the end of the day, companies like LG have made deals worth millions with major manufacturers, things are just as bad within the ‘DVD Forum’ as well - consumers like us get shafted, and big companies get awway with blatently under handed and anti-competative strategies every day.

I’m just thankfull to CDFreaks and people out there who write great warez like MCSE, DVD Identifier and hacked firmware!

fLaMePr0oF <><

Nope, there is no error in the firmware. A105 does not support INFOME-R20 (pic shows only INFOME-R30), and thus for non-supported media it will only write at 4x.

zevia scores again. :bow:

I thought that the strategy above would be applied as the code is the same - R20-000? Anyway, it worked when I changed the name ‘INFODISK’ to ‘INFOME’ :wink:

I still stand by my argument, however, LG were very quick to email me back and blame the media but compatability should be as broad as possible IMO, not deliberately limited to a small few manufacturers.

fLaMePr0oF

Maybe. But to be honest, that’s just wishful thinking.

I personally don’t mind the bias toward Japanese manufacturers’ discs, since they’re generally of far higher quality anyway, and that’s pretty much all I buy, though I will occasionally experiment with some of the higher tier Taiwanese media (Prodisc and CMC pretty much) whose discs are usually well supported in firmwares.