Can't Burn a DVD with Samsung SH-S162L

I just purchased a Samsung SH-S162L. I registered and downloaded LiveUpdate and it took my firmware to TS02 from TS01. [Should it have gone to TS05 or TS06?]. I have confirmed DMA is on for all IDE channelsl I do have one SATA channel with a WD SATA hard drive that I use as the source drive for video files (raw and edited). I have a Soyo KT 600 motherboard so I don’t think I have an nVidia driver issue (if I undertsood that thread) although I do have nVidia FX 5200 video card on my machine. It appears that my driver for the Samsung is Microsoft 5.1.2535.0 although when I click on Driver Details it does show me a buch of others (several from Microsoft, one from Pinnacle, two from Sonic Solutions and etc.) I have tried Sony, TDK and Fuji DVD+R discs all to no avail (approximately 20 coasters in total). I have had a TDK AID-420N on my machine for a couple of years and have had sporadic problems with it burining DVDs and thus, among other things, was the reason I purchased this new and fancy Samsung unit when the price was right on NewEgg.

I tried burning first with Pinnacle Studio 9.4 and the lead-in appears to write and then the burn fails during the “Writing Disc Content.” I have also tried using the Nero Burning Rom (and Nero Express) from my full version of Nero Ultra 7 that I have had for a while. I recently updated my Nero with the Nero-7.2.0.3b update. In Nero, I get what I believe are various errors (including power claibration errors) although quite frankly understanding these errors (and error reports) is beyond my current comprehension. I tried to completely de-install Nero (including running Nero’s clean tool and a regsitery cleaner that I own and a freeware registry cleaner as well in that order) and tried burning again out of Pinnacle and no luck.

I’m pretty frustrated with having burnt a nice weekend trying to figure this out. I believe that is proabably unlikely a problem with the drive itself but I’m essentially committed to RMAing at this point. Any suggestions for further troubleshooting (short of tyring to deal with the manufacturer) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome @CDF!

at first I would try this:

• remove both of your optical drives physically and remount them this way:
    Set jumper for your Samsung as master and mount it into top position of your case
    Set jumper for your Sony CD-RW as slave and mount it into bottom position of your case
    Make sure, your IDE cable is okay or replace it (ideally use an 80-wired one) and connect it properly: Your master drive should be at the (right) end of the cable.

Also remove InCD - it’s just crap.

Michael

hi defleprd,
purchased my S162L at the weekend. Got it here in Germany on a big electronic market for €29.- so I coud´nt resist. Replaced my 4 years old LiteOn.
It is built in Feb.2006 and came with Firmware TS01. Updated to TS06 instantly. Not by
LiveUpdate, but with the Samsung Flasher.
Works flawlessly from the first time. No problems. Tried Lightscribe, AudioCD, DVD (automatic booktype setting) and works like a charm.
Software: Nero6.0 (latest version), Easy CDDA, IMGburn
Hardware: Nfocrce3, primary master: Plex716, secondary master: NEC3520, secondary slave: S162L, 3 SATA HDDs, all DMA on, no nvidia driver, no problem.
So I think when you did it like mciahel told you, and nothing works you have to RMA it.

gonzos-revenge

PS. No InCD
I saw on the 2nd nero log that DMA for your WD1600JD SATA is not enabled. Looks strange!

29 bucks for this drive?

You lucky buyer…

I’ve tried all of Michael’s suggestions and not much luck. Several more coasters although I did get one “successful” (qualified below and but painfully long) DVD video burn of 30 minutes of “DVD quality” MPEG-2 video out of Nero. However, when I view the DVD in Nero Show Time it looks totally crappy - jittery, choppy and pixelated. Completely unacceptable.

I don’t know if flashing to TS06 would be of any use. I’m not even sure if I’m supposed to do this - seemingly I should, but I think I read in other posts where this can kill the unit. Why wouldn’t live update do this if this is supposed to be done.

As surprising as it is to me, I think I may actually have a defective unit.

Thanks to all that have replied and have tried to help me. It is truly much appreciated. I especially thank Michael for looking out for me a bit in light of my obvious naivete.

No. Nero is just stupid. It reports any drive that is connected to SATA-, RAID or independent IDE controllers as “DMA off”:

This is my configuration, Liteon SOHR5239 and the Samsung drive are connected to my onboard Promise controller.

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
DiskPeripheral : SAMSUNG SP1213N atapi Port 0 ID 0 DMA: On
DiskPeripheral : SAMSUNG SV1203N atapi Port 0 ID 1 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : BENQ DVD DD DW1650 atapi Port 1 ID 1 DMA: On
OtherPeripheral : Promise SATA Console 1.00 ulsata2 Port 2 ID 16 DMA: Off
CdRomPeripheral : TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-W163ATS01 ulsata2 Port 2 ID 4 DMA: Off
CdRomPeripheral : LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5239V2$0D ulsata2 Port 2 ID 8 DMA: Off

And my USB connected Sony drive is reported as “slow bus” :frowning:

That might happen. I recently returned a Samsung drive for full refund, because DVD-RAM did not work.
I have bought myself a cheap USB/IDE adapter, so I could perform some basic tests with the drive before I mount it. Saves a lot of work. And I do not fiddle around with firmware updates. If the basic tests fail, the drive will be returned immediately. :a

I especially thank Michael for looking out for me a bit in light of my obvious naivete.
You are welcome :slight_smile:

regards,
Michael

Well, Nero only can deal with the tapi devices, all others are reported wrongly.

Maybe sometimes Nero is a little bit stupid, but not everytime.
I think it depends on the controller. My SATA drives are shown correctly as you can see:

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
CdRomPeripheral : _NEC DVD_RW ND-3520AW atapi Port 0 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S162L atapi Port 0 ID 1 DMA: On
DiskPeripheral : ST3250620AS atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: On
DiskPeripheral : SAMSUNG SP0812C atapi Port 3 ID 0 DMA: On
DiskPeripheral : SAMSUNG SP1213C atapi Port 4 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A atapi Port 5 ID 0 DMA: On

But I only use the onboard SATA and PATA connectors.

@chef
Until this weekend I was unconvinced about Samsung burners. But after playing a little bit with my new toy the last days I can say now I´m not.
As I wrote before everything went fine including bitsetting and overburning with my favorite burning proggies.
And as you said, for 29 bucks I´m a lucky one.

gonzos-revenge

I recently bought an 163S, a nice one.

Surely.

My SATA drives are shown correctly as you can see:

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
CdRomPeripheral : _NEC DVD_RW ND-3520AW atapi Port 0 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S162L atapi Port 0 ID 1 DMA: On
DiskPeripheral : ST3250620AS atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: On
DiskPeripheral : SAMSUNG SP0812C atapi Port 3 ID 0 DMA: On
DiskPeripheral : SAMSUNG SP1213C atapi Port 4 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A atapi Port 5 ID 0 DMA: On

But I only use the onboard SATA and PATA connectors.
I guess, Nvidia chipset run with MS default drivers?
Using Nvidias IDE drivers would cause DMA settings apparently seen as “off”. This is the same as with every controller that is run with manufacturer’s drivers. It doesn’t matter, if that controller is onboard or a PCI card.

Michael

i purchased a dvd light scribe burner 2 months ago. it was working well. i burns, reads and lightscribe right but last week, when i was burning, it just stopped doing it in the middle of the process. then after that, it cannot read dvds anymore. i tried to download the firmware updates and its not doing any good. i even tried to surf the net. whats weird is that when i put a cd on it, it works okay. only on dvds. both with data on it or without.

i checked the setup and its on dma. i dont know what to do anymore. when i put dvds on it, the light indicator of the cpu acts like its reading and it even makes sounds like its reading it but its not. i tried to wait for it to load but it takes me forever. i dont think it would work anymore. can you tell me what’s wrong with it?

jhoie:

You have hijacked an old thread. You should start your own thread & do not hijack. You should re-read the rules you agreed to and provide complete & detailed information so people can help you.