Can't burn 105Mb on 700Mb disc

vbimport

Hi, I’m new here, I found this site via Sefy’s dvd backup.

I’m trying to burn a cd of about 25 tracks that I’ve taken from a number of other cds transferred onto my hard drive.

The files are about 105 Mb in total, so I expected the 700Mb blank disc that I’m burning to to be more than adequate.

I’ve tried with Windows Media Player and Nero and they both say the disc is too small - just doesn’t make sense to me.

I’ve burned over 20 tracks onto another 700Mb disc before, so I just can’t see what I’m doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jever

Welcome to CD Freaks, Jever :slight_smile:

I’m guessing these are .mp3 files…?

If so, you need to use the ‘Data’ template in Nero. Otherwise with the ‘Audio CD’ template, the program will try to expand the mp3s - if that’s what they are - into full .cda tracks.

Hi imkidd,

Thanks for your help.

Looking in the directory on the hard drive, they’re listed as Windows media audio files (they were lifted from cds by Windows Media Player).

If they’re the wrong type of file, would it be best to extract them from the cds with other software, or can I convert them?

Apologies if this is a bit of a ‘noddy’ question.

Jever

Hi,

what is your goal?
Just backup these files (wma in this case) onto a disc or do you want to make an audio CD from them?
In the first case, just burn a data CD.
In the second case, you need 2 blank discs. Add as many files to the audio CD project as you like (until the disc is full) and create a second audio CD project for the rest of the files.

Converting wma to mp3 is not a good idea, quality wise. In case you want a mp3 disc for your car stereo etc., it is better to rip them again from CD - but this time in mp3 format. Windows Media Player is not recommended for that job. I prefer CDex for this.

Michael

Hi,

I was trying to create a cd I could play in the car. I just thought it would be easier to have them all on one disc.

If I understand you correctly, converting them to mp3 will mean a loss of quality, but will also mean smaller files. Do most car cd players recognise mp3 files? Would be handy if they did.

If so, where might I get a copy of CDex?

Thanks for your help.

Jever

Hi,[quote=Jever;2065696]I was trying to create a cd I could play in the car. I just thought it would be easier to have them all on one disc.[/quote]understandable. But for CD audio, using two discs is unavoidable.

If I understand you correctly, converting them to mp3 will mean a loss of quality, but will also mean smaller files.
mp3 files are not smaller than wma, but it is supported by more devices.
Do most car cd players recognise mp3 files? Would be handy if they did.
Please check the manual of your car stereo if mp3 or even wma is supported. Sometimes there is a logo on the frontplate if mp3 is supported. Most car players don’t support these compressed formats, and some have even problems with burned discs.

If so, where might I get a copy of CDex?
Here: http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/
It is free software btw :slight_smile:

Michael

P.S.: one of my favourite breweries: www.jever.de :bigsmile:

Hello, me again.

Still having trouble with this. I’ve downloaded CDex and used it to transfer all of the files from CD to the hard drive as mp3 files, but when I try to burn, it still says I need 2 discs (although the mp3 files add up to 109 Mb).

Will the ‘data’ template in Nero get round this? If so, where do I find it?

It’s been a long time since I had a drink of Jever btw. And Koepi, not to mention Radeberger and Wernesgruener. Happy days.

Where are you in Germany?

Jever

The limit for an Audio CD has nothing to do with Data size (well it does in that CD Audio is always 44.1 KHz 16 bit no compression). Audio CD can only hold 80 minutes of music.

Hi,[quote=Jever;2065754]Hello, me again.
Still having trouble with this. I’ve downloaded CDex and used it to transfer all of the files from CD to the hard drive as mp3 files, but when I try to burn, it still says I need 2 discs (although the mp3 files add up to 109 Mb).

Will the ‘data’ template in Nero get round this? If so, where do I find it?[/quote]MP3 must be burned as data discs (same way as if you would put pictures, documents etc. onto a disc). There should be a button for that. Where it is, will depend on the Nero version you are using.
As already mentioned, MP3 format is only useful, if your player supports MP3 format. If not, then it is better to rip the music as WAV and then burn two audio CDs from that.

It’s been a long time since I had a drink of Jever btw. And Koepi, not to mention Radeberger and Wernesgruener. Happy days.
Hehe, if I remember correctly, then there should be a beer thread somewhere in the Living Room :bigsmile:

Where are you in Germany?
In the Frankfurt (that with the international airport, not the Frankfurt at the border to Poland) area :slight_smile:

Michael

Hi,

Just as a closer, thanks to your help I am now (a little) wiser in the ways of the cd.

I have surrendered and put the cd audio files on two discs (car hifi doesn’t recognise mp3s).

Regards

Jever

For CDDA, not the filesize counts but the total time of audiofiles…