Cant bun a dvd with NEC 2500a in LaCie D2 case

vbimport

Hi

I have just purchased a LaCie DVD writer
It was delivered friday and I want to send it back

This is the model:
DVD-R/RW, CDRW 300727
NEW LaCie Firewire & USB2 DVD+/-RW 4.7GB 8x4x24x + CDRW Drive

Toast sees the drive as “_NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A - FireWire”.
Firmware 1.06 / MMC-3

Basically 10 dvds have ended up in the trash and I dont really want to waste even more. I have used the same dvd media with another writer and everything worked fine, it was a lacie 4 speed which was a pioneer in a d2 case. This was just plugged in and it burnt 10 dvds flawlessly with perfect verification. I was running Mac OS 10.3.2 on a g4 dual 450, agp, 1 gig ram.
With the new writer I have now I am using the same recordable dvds and burning similar files off the same internal ata drive.

Back to the 8 speed NEC:

On one ocassion the dvd unit turned off during the “writing lead in” stage of burning a dvd in Toast and gave this message:
“Interface error 255 the connection is not stable”

At the time the dvd writer was plugged into its own firewire port of the g4 with nothing else in the chain. It was burning from an internal ata drive. I was using Toast Titanium 6.
I found all cables to be correctly plugged in so I am not sure what is was complaining about.
There were no other applications open either.

On several occasions using Toast Titanium 6 or the toast lite 603 which came with the drive, there have been mismatch errors found during verification, some times over 20 of these were found.

I have tried 2 speed 4 speed and 8 speed and I still get error mismatches

I have the 2 versions of toast too

Other errors I have got include:
Interface error -32765 The connection is not stable(again while writing lead in)

Couldnt complete the last command because of a Mac OS Error result code= -32765
that was while writing lead out

Mismatch at byte 1802/sector 83456. Verification failed

I do not have a machine to test the USB2 connection on so I havent tried it at all.

To sum up:
I have used one LaCie 4 speed which was a pioneer in a d2 case - it worked perfectly
but the new 8 speed NEC has just been a waste of time and dvd media.

Have you had any other complaints about the NEC model?

If there is something very obvious I am missing please let me know other wise I would just like to stop wasting time with this burner and send it back.

Can you also tell me if there are any LaCie writers which are 8 speed and contain a pioneer drive inside??? I am aware that the super drive that apple sell contains a pioneer and have read good things about this brand.

Thanks for your help

Michael

Have you tried different brand of DVD discs? Saying they works ok in another drive is not enough as different drives may perform differently with the same media.

Also tried to read back the NEC written discs in another reader? As the NEC ND-2500A is a rather poor reader.

bigearss: I’m also using a NEC ND-2500A on my Mac (dual-1.25 G4, OS X 10.3.2). Internal though, not on an external Firewire case.

Regarding the verification failures you’re getting, it’s a well-known issue with Toast Titanium 6.0.3. It seems to like reporting errors during the verification stage eventhough the burn is perfect. I myself have encountered verification errors even when burning to quality DVD blanks: Maxell DVD-Rs, Mitsubishi DVD-R/+Rs, TDK DVD-Rs, Imation DVD+Rs (Ricoh), Ritek DVD-R (Ritek G04) and Mitsubishi DVD-RW/+RWs. The source drive is a 120GB Hitachi/IBM Deskstar 180GXP (using the fastest partition, 80GB in size) so that’s not the problem. When I tried out the DVDs on a variety of DVD players (Pioneer, JVC, el-cheapo Skyworth), all of them played back perfectly without any skips at all.

Check out the Roxio support board and you’ll see a number of reports about Toast’s verification “weirdness”. Check out this thread in particular. More threads like that one are available but you have to dig through the forum.

Right now, I’m using Imation 4x DVD+Rs (RICOHJPNR01) to back up my DVD collection and burning them at 6x using Toast Titanium 6.0.3. Burnt 11 blanks since last Saturday and all played perfectly in the 3 set-top players mentioned above. I just turn off verification under Toast Titanium 6.0.3 to save me 10 minutes or so (the verification routine is unreliable anyway so no loss).

Word is that Toast Titanium 5.2.x doesn’t have the same issue even when using the same burner/media combo. If you still have a copy of 5.2.x, you might wanna use that for your DVD burning needs. If not, just turn off verification under 6.0.3 and you’ll still be fine as long as you use quality blanks. Just check the resulting DVDs using your Mac (data DVDs - all files accessible) or a set-top player (check for skips or stutterings and whether or not all chapters are accessible).

As for your other problem (interface error, connection problem…), are you using the bundled power supply or just relying on Firewire for power? If it’s the latter, your burner might not be getting enough “juice”. Or there’s something wrong with the D2 case’s Firewire port (or even your Mac’s Firewire ports). Or it could even be a problem with the Firewire cable. It’s not a problem with the NEC ND-2500A either since it’s just relying on the D2 case and the Firewire cable (and your Mac) for the power and the connection.

Hi Henjie,

Thanks for the advice

I am using the power supply which came with the drive - there is no other option.

One thing I have noticed is that the nec drive will give me on errors on EVERY file if I use the compare feature in Toast on a dvd which was burnt on a 4 speed LaCie D2 with a pioneer inside.

When I take the same dvd and put it into my internal dvd player Hitachi dvd rom 7000 in the g4 and do the same comparison it gives me no errors!!!

Its terrible that these products are being placed in the market in this state - as far as Im concerned they are faulty.

Cheers
Michael
Dublin, Ireland

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Have you tried different brand of DVD discs? Saying they works ok in another drive is not enough as different drives may perform differently with the same media.

well I have tried the disk that lacie bundled with the writer and the simulation worked fine and the burn worked fine then, all at 2 speed, but the verification got a missmatch and when I tried to do a compare there was a mac os error???

Also tried to read back the NEC written discs in another reader? As the NEC ND-2500A is a rather poor reader. [/B]

I did this and there are still errors from the disks written with the nec
It looks like the nec and toast are both very fussy - not a good combination!!

this bit seemed to get lost in the last post I made

Originally posted by OC-Freak
>>Have you tried different brand of DVD discs? Saying they works ok in >>another drive is not enough as different drives may perform differently with >>the same media.

well I have tried the disk that lacie bundled with the writer and the simulation worked fine and the burn worked fine then, all at 2 speed, but the verification got a missmatch and when I tried to do a compare there was a mac os error???

Originally posted by bigearss
I did this and there are still errors from the disks written with the nec
It looks like the nec and toast are both very fussy - not a good combination!!

Like I said, Toast Titanium 6.0.3 seems to like reporting errors even when everything’s actually kosher. This is not only with the NEC ND-2500A as the burner but also with various Pioneer and Plextor DVD burners as well as a number of CD-RW drives.

I’ve had Toast Ti 6.0.3 report verification errors on data and movie DVDs that turned out to be practically perfect (with tests done on a WinXP machine) which led me to agree with other Toast Ti 6.0.3 users that Toast’s verification scheme (at least on version 6.0.3) is buggy.

Try using the Toast Compare utility a number of times on a particular DVD burnt with your NEC ND-2500A and you’re sure to get different results each and every time. How can you trust Toast’s verification scheme then?

Just skip the verification process (and don’t put too much weight on the Compare utility as of the moment). Hopefully, Roxio will release a Toast update that will address these issues really soon.

I own one of these great Lacie external writer cases, they work great once you follow the apple guidelines for OS X. Obviously you are using dvd backup1.3 and dvd2oneX for backing up your OWN dvd’s??

The problem here is that toast essentially being a good software package for burning on the mac does have it’s problems with the nec range of optical kit. The drive itself is a well engineered piece of kit but to the average mac user some problems may occur that can leave you baffled to say the least. I am lucky to have a labs department with every mac model released at my fingertips to test these things.

Re-install Toast 6.0.3 before doing any of the following below:
Cold boot your mac and perhaps re-set the board to clear any P-Ram problems. You could essentially run the 10.3.3 update again???

What I had to do when before I first plugged my drive in via firewire on the mac was put it on a pc first via usb and check for firmware upgrades that could modify my drive and offer extra functionality.

Firstly I flashed the firmware using the ‘Rip Lock Only Firmware Binary and Windows Flasher 1.06’ and then I used the 1.0.7 firmware upgrade based on the HP420i firmware for bitsetting (download form here) http://tdb.rpc1.org/ from Herrie and the Dangerous Brothers…Thanks Herrie nice work. http://www.herrie.org/ Then I set my region code (Region 2) for UK. From here on it is plain sailing nice fast burns, 100%verification and a happy chappy no thanks to apple before the 10.3.3 update I might add for support to this device urgghh but you got a love em for the toys they make us. There were major issues with the B&W g3’s in the day bad design lots of people can’t use this drive.

Don’t use the LacieProgile march 2004 unless you need burn support from apple products this just screws things up even lacie couldn’t give me answers. Make sure you delete the device profiles and receipts if you have installed this profile and restart your mac.

Also within toast turn off "buffer underrun prevention’ as this is built into the drive yeah and you can leave the verification ticked if you like but this does add on another 9 minutes to the burn process using 4x media.