Can't bootup

vbimport

Hi,

I recently installed AnyDVD HD 6.4.6.9. After I did the reboot after installing, it reached the loading screen and just sat there. Gave it another reboot, reached the windows error recovery screen and went launch startup repair, let it run start repair to fix it, which failed. Then tried to do a system restore to the point AnyDVD sets during install, restored, reboot, still doesn’t work, tried system restore to the day before that, reboot, still can’t get past load screen.

The diagnostic output of startup repair says 1 root cause, no errors found with hdd or ram (I’m 99% certain they’re perfectly fine), root cause found: unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem.
The run after doing a system restore however said the root cause was unknown :frowning:

If I try leaving it loading, it’ll show hard disk activity for maybe half an hour, and makes a little progress after it stalls, then stops doing anything.

I’m running Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit, on an ASUS G2 notebook.

Not to come in and try and diss AnyDVD, but I’m pretty certain it’s the problem, but then I’m pretty sure system restore would fix it? If I go into the startup repair I can access the console, and I can access my C and D drives, and I backed up some work off them, so they’re both ok.

My guess is AnyDVD caused a problem somewhere, and me shutting down during bootup amplified the problem, and affected something that system restore isn’t fixing?

Help please?

[QUOTE=Pancakefficiency;2139672]Hi,

I recently installed AnyDVD HD 6.4.6.9. After I did the reboot after installing, it reached the loading screen and just sat there. Gave it another reboot, reached the windows error recovery screen and went launch startup repair, let it run start repair to fix it, which failed. Then tried to do a system restore to the point AnyDVD sets during install, restored, reboot, still doesn’t work, tried system restore to the day before that, reboot, still can’t get past load screen.

The diagnostic output of startup repair says 1 root cause, no errors found with hdd or ram (I’m 99% certain they’re perfectly fine), root cause found: unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem.
The run after doing a system restore however said the root cause was unknown :frowning:

If I try leaving it loading, it’ll show hard disk activity for maybe half an hour, and makes a little progress after it stalls, then stops doing anything.

I’m running Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit, on an ASUS G2 notebook.

Not to come in and try and diss AnyDVD, but I’m pretty certain it’s the problem, but then I’m pretty sure system restore would fix it? If I go into the startup repair I can access the console, and I can access my C and D drives, and I backed up some work off them, so they’re both ok.

My guess is AnyDVD caused a problem somewhere, and me shutting down during bootup amplified the problem, and affected something that system restore isn’t fixing?

Help please?[/QUOTE]

That sounds more like the O/S problem then Anydvd problem. Have you update your vista to sp1? That something in the past but not present that I heard of recently. You sure your HDD and Ram are ok? How old is your laptop? Have you check the manufacture site of update to the laptop?

Oddly enough the problem appears to have fixed itself, just booted up again to finish backing up and it booted just fine…looks like system restore fixed it, no idea why it only made it through this time though.

Laptop’s only 3-4 months old, I ran a memtest not long ago and everything on the hard disk is fine, it looks like it was an O/S problem. I’m not running sp1, I usually update on a ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ basis, so I hadn’t put done a windows update for a while.

Is this a problem that anydvd is known to have on vista if SP1 isn’t on, or vice versa, or something unrelated? It does sound more like a vista update issue now than anything else.

Has to be something on your system as I have every update MS put out on ,y Vista machine.