Can't Backup Collateral with anydvd 5.2.6.1

vbimport

I tried backing up Collateral with Anydvd 5.2.6.1 & dvdshrink3.2 .
I get errors doing this. I am using an NEC 3520a with modified firmware 1UF by Liggy & Dee. I also have bitsetting setup so the DVD+RW media is set to DVD-ROM for playback.

What version of Collateral? I managed to do a back up of R2 PAL (UK) version ages ago, no problem. I used AnyDVD and CloneDVD, but no idea of what version as it was so long ago.

I have the North American version of Collateral. I also used AnyDVD and CloneDVD but the dvd played back on the computer but would not on my home stereo dvd player.

If it played back on your PC it would seem that AnyDVD and CloneDVD did there job. I would suggest that you try different media - it may be that your dvd player doesn’t like that particular brand. What media are you using?

I agree. Try using Verbatim DVD-R Discs or grab a Sony DVD Player at Walmart for $70 that says (DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW) on the cover. My old Sony player would,nt work on some DVD-R’s but my new one plays everything fine and it was $180 cheaper. :slight_smile:

Hmm, I never tried AnyDVD directly w/ Shrink. Have you done this before? What do you burn with? I usually use AnyDVD/CloneDVD 95% of the time, but when I use shrink I usually use it with DVD Decryptor.
Oh, by the way, no prob with Collateral using AnyDVD/CloneDVD.

The DVD+RW was a Sony rated at 4x. When I verified the dvd with dvd info, it showed the book type as a DVD-ROM. This DVD has worked great on other movies in my home stereo dvd player. I usually use anydvd and dvd shrink and never had any problems before. The problem seems to occur when DVDclone is used.

Just curious, when you use AnyDVD w/ Shrink, what software do you burn with?

@ daley_dave,

It appears that you have a copy o DVDInfo. Suggest that you check the problematic back up copy of Collateral for CRC Read Errors. If DVDInfo reveals that the subject problematic back up copy of Collateral has CRC Read Errors that is why you are having problems.

It is not unusual to see that a DVD will play on the DVD Recorder that it was recorded on but fail to play on any other device.

Exactly why are you using DVD+RW media to make your back up copy of Collateral? If it is because you what to erase and re-record on this media is probably to cause of your problems. Contrary to any propaganda you might have heard it is a known fact the DVD+RW media is problematic when re-recorded.

If you desire stable and reliable back ups it is recommended to use DVD-R or DVD+R media.

PS- Forum Member Itzbinnice has asked you once not to double post. Your response was that you had two different problems and that is why you double posted. Your AnyDVD and CloneDVD are in fact the same problem. You are now being asked twice not to double post. Double posting does nothing but cause confusion and is discourteous to Forum Members who are taking their time and effort to help you.

Best Regards,
bjkg

I use Nero

If you have DVDInfo, there is no mention of any listing on the menu for CRC read errors.

Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID SONY S11
Media Product Revision Number 00h
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name COLLATERAL_DISC1_UFO
Application id
Implementation id mkisofs
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 6/24/2005 13:59:13
Format Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD-ROM
Media Type DVD+RW
Manufacturer Rated Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
BG Format Status Suspended
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 23053Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code                           

00000000 08 02 00 00 01 0F 04 00 00 03 00 00 00 23 47 3F …#G?
00000010 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 53 4F 4E 59 00 00 00 00 53 …SONY…S
00000020 31 31 00 39 23 00 B4 72 68 02 24 00 AE 75 58 02 11.9#…rh.$…uX.
00000030 28 00 B2 73 62 02 24 04 12 10 E0 10 F0 00 00 00 (…sb.$…

@ daley_dave,

DVDInfo has an extremely detailed User Help document. Look on the bottom on the DVDInfo opening page for the red ?Help icon. Click on that and the User Help document is displayed.

Open DVDInfo and on the opening page look on the top menu bar. There is a little magnifying glass icon (Test Your Media For CRC Read Errors). Insert you problematic back up copy of Collateral (not the original factory manufactured DVD) into your computer DVD device (ideally not the DVD Burner that made the recording if possible) and click on the magnifying glass icon and check for CRC errors.

You want to be checking your problematic back up copy of Collateral for CRC errors. If this problematic back up copy of Collateral contains CRC errors these CRC errors are your problem.

Best Regards,
bjkg

I tried DVDFab Platinum(Express Mode) on the DVD+RW, DVD-RW and DVD+R and it worked on the computer and also my home stereo dvd player.
So What it means is DVDFab Platinum(Express Mode) is a better program than the other ones that I mentioned. So how can you say my DVD+RW,DVD-RW and DVD+R are bad. I did this test 2 times with excellent results.

daley dave
Glad to hear you got it worked out and in your case it was in fact a software problem that I erroneously ruled out. However, I disagree with your statement that DVDFab Platinum is a better program then CloneDVD and DVD Shrink, it may be better for your system but not better for all.
I have burned numerous DVD+RW for testing purposes using CloneDVD and it always played fine in my stand alone players using the same Sony media as you did but on a Liteon burner.

Enjoy your new found software and happy burning.

@ daley_dave,

Glad to hear that you successfully were able to back up your problematic DVD.

If DVDFab Platinum was a better DVD copying program than the AnyDVD-Clone combination I assure you I would be using it. I have used DVDFab Platinum and all the other DVDIdle programs and I can assure you that the AnyDVD-CloneDVD combination works hand over fist better than DVDIdle products. The DVDIdle programs are extremely “buggy” and by no means updated and improved anywhere near as often as SlySoft/Elaborate Bytes products.

If you are suggesting that your problem was cause by the use of AnyDVD-CloneDVD I can assure you that in fact this not true.

AnyDVD-CloneDVD has a proven track record not bettered by any DVD copying software program. The AnyDVD decryption copy protection engine is at the cutting edge of technology. The CloneDVD copy-burn and compression transcoding engines are the most stable and reliable of all the DVD copy software programs.

I would suggest your problem is along the lines of “User Error”.

If in fact you believe your problem was cause by the use of AnyDVD-CloneDVD send CloneDVD log to support(at)slysoft.com and bugs(at)elby.ch.

Best Regards,
bjkg

I have been using anydvd for with dvdshrink. This is the first time that I’ve had a problem. I forgot to mention that the other DVD+RW was HP. It might be that I am using the North America version of Collateral which is different than the Pal version. So I needed another solution. You have to try what works for you. By the way the NEC ND-3520a is a top rated burner on this forum. Just ask Liggy and Dee. I use their updated firmware.

@ daley_dave

Saying you are using HP DVD+RW Media does not describe the actual DVD Media you are using. HP does not manufacture their own DVD media; they just purchase the media from a DVD media manufacture and then put it in HP Boxes. It is hit or miss when purchasing HP DVD media. To accurately describe your DVD media you need provide the Manufacture ID and Media Code (Example- RitekG05). You can obtain the Manufacture ID and Media Code by using DVDInfo Pro (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) or similar software utility.

Suggest running one of your HP DVD+RW media through DVDInfo Pro and check the Manufacture ID/Media Code and will most likely find that it was manufactured by CMC. CMC DVD media is suspect DVD media, which has been known to cause problems.

A little help in deciding which DVD media to use.

Suggest visiting the CD Freaks DVD Recorder Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61) for your particular DVD Burner and see which DVD Media other Forum members have reported that work for them.

Suggest visiting the CD Freaks Media Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33) and see which DVD Media other Forum members have reported as good reliable DVD media.

Suggest visiting the Video Help DVD Media List (http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia) and see what other users have reported about particular DVD Media.

Concerning the quality of DVD media. The saying “You Only Get What You Pay For” fully applies to DVD media. If the price is cheap the quality is also probably cheap. Remember most dropouts, freezing, skipping and other related problems can be traced to cheap, inferior, substandard DVD media.

I am fully aware of the quality and performance of NEC DVD Burners. I have 3 NEC DVD Burners and fully believe they are an excellent product. I am also fully aware of Liggy’s and Dee’s firmware. All my NEC’s are running their firmware. I never suggested that your DVD Burner hardware was the source of your problems. If you review my comments I have been attempting to have you look into the particular DVD media you have been using. In seeing that you have JUST now revealed that you have been using HP DVD+RW media I can understand why you have been having your problems.

In posting #3 in this thread you stated that you were using AnyDVD-CloneDVD combination. That is why I made my comments concerning your implying your problems were related to the use of AnyDVD-CloneDVD software. If you review Olli’s comments #2 in your posting thread in the CloneDVD Forum you will see that Olli clearly stated that your problem was not related to the use of AnyDVD-CloneDVD software. To refresh your memory Olli is the author of CloneDVD and was instrumental in the development of AnyDVD. I believe he is fully aware of what his software will and won’t do. Also don’t attempt to cloud the issue by suggesting that somehow the PAL version of Collateral verses the NTSC version of Collateral had anything to do with your problems. Even suggesting that displays that fact that you don’t even have a clue about the underlying cause of your problem.

Best Regards,
bjkg

bjkg, Thanks for your suggestions. I have been using videohelp for a long time and find that the site is an excellent source of information as well as cdfreaks. The HP DVD+RW is a Philips dvd. The Sony DVD+RW is a Sony. The Radus DVD-RW is an Optodiscwoo2 . Since you are A person with a high degree of skill of knowledge of dvds, what do you suggest for the setting of anydvd and clonedvd combination setting?

bjkg
Excellent post.

daley dave
If you don’t give all the facts it becomes difficult to help.
First you said it was Sony media, now you say you forgot the other one was Hp media,
you never mentioned it didn’t work with both, or perhaps it only didn’t work with the HP media which is crap in my opinion, majority of it is CMC manufactured as bjkg stated.

You also didn’t mention about the firmware change.
You can do an experiment with the firmware, save the one from Liggy and Dee and replace it with Nec’s latest version. Try to burn the Sony (not HP) media and see if that works.
If it does it is firmware related, if it doesn’t, just install Liggy and Dee’s version again.

Correcting problems is a matter of trial and error in attempt to solve the problem, sometimes it’s easy, other times it’s not, but having all the facts is essential.

@ daley_dave,

“”what do you suggest for the setting of anydvd and clonedvd combination setting?””

The use of the AnyDVD-CloneDVD combination is very simple and straightforward. There are not any “Magic” or “Secret” settings.

For information on how to use CloneDVD can be obtained by reviewing the CloneDVD User Manual. The CloneDVD Manual can be accessed in the following manner. On the CloneDVD opening page click on “Help” located on the top upper right hand corner on the opening page. The CloneDVD manual will appear.

For information on how to use AnyDVD “Right Click” on the area you desire information about and a Pop Up Window will appear which provides information on that function.

I have asked you this before in posting #9 in this thread but you failed to provide an answer. My question is exactly why are you using DVD+RW media to make your back up copies of commercially manufacture DVD Movie titles? If it is because you want to erase and re-record on this media is probably the cause of your problems combined with the use of cheap, inferior, substandard DVD media. Contrary to any propaganda you might have heard it is a known fact the DVD+RW media is problematic when recording/erasing/re-recording DVD movies. DVD+RW media is good for recording/erasing/re-recording straightforward data but is problematic when recording/erasing/re-recording DVD movies because of the complexity of the DVD movie data structure.

If you desire good stable and reliable back ups it is recommended to use good known high quality DVD-R or DVD+R media similar to Taiyo Yuden.

Concerning your NEC ND-3520 and firmware. In seeing that you are experiencing some problems recording DVD media I would suggest caution using modified firmware. Liggy’s and Dee’s firmware might contain a too aggressive write strategy for the DVD media you are using as suggested by Forum member’s itzbinnice comments.

Bottom line –> Use the latest versions of AnyDVD-CloneDVD with good reliable DVD±R DVD media similar to Taiyo Yuden and you will not have any problems.

Best Regards,
bjkg