Can't back up a few

Hey guys,
I can’t seem to backup a few DVDs I recently acquired. I’ve been backing up a lot of DVDs recently (you know, just in case) and have noticed a few here and there that don’t seem to have the protection removed.

The Bridge on the River Kwai
Chinatown

Using AnyDVD 5.4.1.1, here is a copy of the Info Screen:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 5.4.1.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (parallel)

Video DVD (or CD) label: BRIDGE_ON_THE_RIVER_KWAI
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1 3 4!

Found & removed RCE protection!
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Any ideas? The DVDs seem fine, I have watched them both.

-Burly

What program are you using to back up your movies? You could try copying and paste the video_ts folder straight onto your hard drive and see if that works.

What is the exact error that you are getting??

I can vouch that The Bridge On The River Kwai has no copy protection that AnyDVD cannot remove, I have a copy of Region 1.
I have a feeling you have a corrupt disk (disks).
First try thoroughly cleaning the disk, then as abrown15 suggested, copy the TS_Video folder to your hard drive using Windows Explorer. If Explorer hangs at a point and indicates it can’t copy a file, the disk is bad and give up any further efforts, it’s a lost cause.

Just to let you know, you can buy a brand new DVD and have this happen, some will play fine in your PC and stand alone DVD player, but you will never be able to copy them, it’s just poor quality and has nothing to do with copy protection.

When I try to copy the DVD to the HD, I get an “Cannot copy file: Invalid MS-DOS function” error. Sometimes when copying the VIDEO_TS folder to the HD, I get the error in different places, i.e. it will copy different amounts of the the same file each time I try. Once, I even got it to go past the file in question, only for it to stop on the next one. Could this program be attempting to process the files faster than AnyDVD can remove the protection?

I am using DVD2One for compression of dual layers and for removal of extras. And Nero for the burning.

DVD2One gives an error to the effect of: “Cannot directly process copy-protected DVDs, You must copy the files to the HD first. Processing cancelled.”

I have tried cleaning the disc, but to no avail. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help so far,
Burly

Burly
Follow the below instructions, copy and paste your results in your next post so we can see what’s going on.

Start AnyDVD, insert the DVD disk, when the drive light goes out, click on the Red Fox and a summary of what was found on the disk will appear. It should look something like the below

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 5.4.1.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: free

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)

Video DVD (or CD) label: LONGESTYARD_2005_WS
Media is CSS protected!
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Changed firstplay: Jump directly to Title 1!

Here it is, but I already posted it…

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 5.4.1.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (parallel)

Video DVD (or CD) label: BRIDGE_ON_THE_RIVER_KWAI
Media is CSS protected!
Media is locked to region(s): 1 3 4!

Thanks for the follow-up,
Burly

BurlySquid,
My apologies for stupidity, you indeed copied the summary in your first post.
The summary looks good and AnyDVD appears to be doing it’s job.

Question. are these originals or copies you are trying to copy?

By any chance do you have both a DVD-Rom (reader) and DVD burner drives?
If so maybe the one you are using isn’t reading that particular disk properly.

Case in point, I have two burners, an NEC and Liteon. The NEC has a superior reader (supposedly). I put a disk in there and AnyDVD failed saying the disk was bad and would not post a summary. Put the same disk in the Liteon, protection was removed by AnyDVD and summary posted.
It did turn out the disk was bad in the last 5 minutes of the movie, I was able to salvage it with only about 2 seconds of pixelation near the end. I used DVD Decrypter to ignore the errors but it took about 1\2 hour to get the defective file repaired.

My point is sometimes by using a different DVD device you may be able to correct some problems with a given disk.

They are originals.

Well, I tried a different drive and it worked. Thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

-Burly

Glad to hear you have it solved.

It doesn’t mean the drive you were using when you got the errors was bad, just didn’t like the disks you were using. Sometimes these things just happen.

I got The Bridge On the River Kwai to work when I switched drives, but Chinatown still doesn’t want to copy.

Same errors as the previous post. Here is the info page:

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 5.4.3.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: free

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)

Video DVD (or CD) label: CHINATWN
Media is CSS protected!
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

I find it odd that it actually says “Cannot read directly from a copy-protected DVD” instead of saying it can’t read the disc. Are you sure AnyDVD is messing up somewhere?

-Burly

Appears AnyDVD is doing it’s job. Maybe it’s a conflict with DVD2One.
CloneDVD and AnyDVD make a great and efficient combintion.
Go to slysoft.com and download the 21 day trial of CloneDVD and try Chinatown with that. Unless the disk is bad you should have no problems with that combination.
You will not need Nero to burn, CloneDVD does it all except the copyright removal.

no problems until tonight
and 3 backups have failed
I get to around 90% then
“unable read dvd”
I have updated anydvd
not a techie
head hurts now

It has NOTHING to do with AnyDVD. There’s some other problem with your system.

Thanks Gurm

check your disc, it mite have a scratch or the disc was a bad write.

Hey, I’m not being sarcastic, I’m cutting to the chase. If some discs work but not others, if burns fail at 90%… that has nothing at all to do with AnyDVD. That’s all. Just ruling that out. Perhaps you should post in the general software forum to try to get this sorted out?

This is a little late to help, but I say the problem is the quality of the Chinatown disk.
I acquired this disk and it played perfectly in my stand alone player.
I tried to back it up with AnyDvd and Clone DVD and it quit about half way through the read.
I then tried to copy the disk with my burner instead of my reader and the Sony burner wouldn’t recognize it.
I went back to the original reader and after two tries, I was able to copy it using DVD decrypter and clone dvd.
I don’t think there is anything wrong with AnyDvd, it was just a matter of luck to get anything to read the disk.
I don’t know if this was an attempt to make a DVD movie unreadable with a computer or not.:bigsmile:

All devices marked with the DVD logo have to be able to play DVD movies - no movie company could release a movie and call it a DVD if it was not playable on a computer.

Makes sense to me.
I guess it was just a lousy disk. Anyway, I got my “backup” copy.
First disk for me that the AnyDVD /Clone DVD combo didn’t copy on first attempt.

Yep - just been through the same with Mindhunters - turns out the disc was just very badly manufactured and full of read errors in VTS_01_03.VOB