Can't apply the latest firmware for LiteOn SHW-160p6s

vbimport

Hi, I’m trying to upgrade the firmware of a LiteOn SHW-160P6S cause it can’t read some protected DVDs I bought.
I’ve downloaded the latest firmware from the LiteOn website but it says that my drive is a LiteOn SHW-160P6S PP80 and not a SHW-160P6S !

I can’t find any information about the PP80 thing, if someone here knows something, some help will be great !

Thanks

I doubt this would fix such reading issues.

I wouldn’t think so either, although, amazingly, I suggested someone update the firmware of their 160P6S as they were having the exact same problem - couldn’t read alot of pressed discs. It can’t hurt to try and maybe Liteon did make some sort of change regarding the reading of media. Either that or the rare chance that the firmware was not flashed properly initially. Anyway, their 160P6S DID read the discs it was having trouble reading after flashing the drive to more recent FW. :eek: Why it solved the problem, I’m not sure, but it did.

Here’s a link to the latest test firmware, use PV8Q - http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1408443&postcount=13

I’d also suggest looking into the Smartburn Utility version 3.1.16T for improving burn quality - you can find it and read about it in the Liteon Forum. Good Luck, I hope flashing to the new firmware solves your problem.

No, that’s completely … Either the firmware has flashed to the drive or not.
Even if some firmwares can improve things, they cannot make the hardware initially better. Some drives have really big issues when reading media, be it bad pressed or bad burned ones…

It’s completely what? Are you implying that there is no such thing as having a ‘bad’ flash of a firmware? If you are, you’re wrong, as it can and does happen at times, whether it be a DVD Burner, an MP3 Player, or any other electronic device that has firmware.

I don’t actually think that a bad flash has anything to do with the issue here, as if the firmware was corrupt I doubt the drive would be functioning properly in any capacity. I only mention it as a rare possibility, even if extremely unlikely. When I suggested flashing the firmware to a newer version to someone else, I suggested it figuring there was very little chance it would be of benefit and even said so, but that it wouldn’t hurt to try. And it worked, why I don’t know but it did. I don’t know what thread it was in, but the user responded that the discs that they were having trouble with could be read after the FW flash. What changed that allowed the discs to be read, I haven’t a clue, but it solved their problem apparently.

A bad flash is when a drive refuses to properly work afterwards, of course.
Any drive coming into the market were tested for basic functionalitly before…

Hi,

I’ve finally found the firmware version PS08 for the 160P6S modified to patch my drive.
After that, I was able to apply the latest firmware downloaded from the LiteON website!

All the discs I wasn’t able to read works perfectly now, it’s great :slight_smile:

For people who might have the same problem here the modified firmware :

http://rockwilder.free.fr/160P6S.PS08.modified.zip

I’m having a little problem with this Liton drive, the SHW-160P6S. I upgraded FW to 0B, wich was the latest one.
Then it started recognizing data dvds as blank ones… even those written with the drive itself. I made it external with USB 2.0 adapter and the problem remains exactly the same… Even tried it external in another CPU… same disgusting trouble… I can’t get back to 05 or 04 FW version with the installers linked in this forum, because the patch detects a newer one and stops the process. Does anyone have 05 or 04 it in .bin file?
It can’t even decrypt or burn isos of movie backups with dvd decrypter or write Data dvds in Nero 7.5.7 I can only read and burn Cd’s with it, but it wasn’t the original idea with the drive…
Please, gimme a hand you DVDs gurus out in the cyberwholebrain…

Poncho

Hi,

have a look at http://codeguys.rpc1.org/index.html :slight_smile:
Also, check the stickies in the Liteon section.

Michael

[QUOTE=r0ckw1ld3r;1430973]Hi,

I’ve finally found the firmware version PS08 for the 160P6S modified to patch my drive.
After that, I was able to apply the latest firmware downloaded from the LiteON website!

All the discs I wasn’t able to read works perfectly now, it’s great :slight_smile:

For people who might have the same problem here the modified firmware :

http://rockwilder.free.fr/160P6S.PS08.modified.zip[/QUOTE]

I know this is a really old thread but r0ckw1ld3r should have upgraded the firmware of his LiteOn 160P6S drive from version PP80 to PP90.
Hewlett-Packard had a version PP90 firmware update for the LiteOn SHW-160P6S drive on their web site. though this is for an OEM firmware for HP computers, he should have used that one instead of cross-flashing the firmware to the modified PS08 version.