Can't access the recorder options in Nero 6...?

vbimport

I’m trying to burn a bootable CD and it’s imperative that I be able to burn at 1x to ensure file are burned properly. However I can only select 40X, 24x or 16x from the write speed menu. I read that you can click on the “Options” button in nero by your recorder and perform the following:

However you can go the Recorder Menu, Choose recorder, select your dvd recorder, press on Options and uncheck the
“smartburn” or similar check button that exists there. Then you will have all the speed options.

Only problem is, I the options button isn’t highlighted for me to click on. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DVD/CD-RW in use: HP DVD Writer 840x

Hi,[quote=rxmorph;2151762]I’m trying to burn a bootable CD and it’s imperative that I be able to burn at 1x to ensure file are burned properly. [/quote]This is nonsense. These instructions (I have read such also somewhere*) might stem from the ancient ages when 4x CD burners were state of the art.

However I can only select 40X, 24x or 16x from the write speed menu.
That sound normal. The slowest speed for CD-R of your drive is 16x. You can’t do anything to get slower. Also, this is not necessary (and might be even contraproductive) with the modern 52x rated media.

I read that you can click on the “Options” button in nero by your recorder and perform the following:
This won’t help either.

Only problem is, I the options button isn’t highlighted for me to click on.
The “options” button is not available for all drives. If there are no options that can be configured within Nero, the button is greyed out. The availability of the “options” button might also depend on the Nero version you have installed (OEM vs. full retail).

Just tried: If I want to burn a CD ISO (Sidux) with Nero 6.6.1.15 (retail version), the “options” button is available (not greyed out), but there are no selectable options present, regardless of the drive I select (there are five active drives connected).

Michael

*: The guys on Sidux.com recommend “max 8x” (which is nonsense), on Kanotix.com they recommend half of the maximum speed (good recommendation). The Knoppix FAQ also recommends 4x-8x :rolleyes:

Hey, mciahel, thanks for the response!

It may very well be, but those were the instructions that were indicated in the disk I was attempting to burn and since after burning some files were missing or “unreadable”, I assumed that this must be the problem.

That sound normal. The slowest speed for CD-R of your drive is 16x. You can’t do anything to get slower. Also, this is not necessary (and might be even contraproductive) with the modern 52x rated media.

Makes sense, although it would be nice to know that I could be able to select any write speed between the 1x and the highest setting…

This won’t help either.

Unfortunately this is also true. :wink:

The “options” button is not available for all drives. If there are no options that can be configured within Nero, the button is greyed out. The availability of the “options” button might also depend on the Nero version you have installed (OEM vs. full retail).

Just tried: If I want to burn a CD ISO (Sidux) with Nero 6.6.1.15 (retail version), the “options” button is available (not greyed out), but there are no selectable options present, regardless of the drive I select (there are five active drives connected).

Well under “Burn Image to disc” project it did let me access the drive options, however like you said, there were no selectable options present. I’m not sure why it didn’t let me see this under “Make bootable CD”. I have retail version Nero 6. It kind of seems pointless to have an options button that leads you to specs rather than any real configurable options…although I suppose it depends on the burner.

Thanks for the info. :cool:

One this I find that when I use nero to burn, I also look at the read speed. Odd that no one worries about reading issues but just the writing. I know on one of my nero disc’s it has expert mode, I cant find that disc right now but it does give more options. As far as the incd, I never use it I disabled it, I had a burn issue when I used a dvd rip program. Sorry I couldn’t help more…

[QUOTE=valdan1;2153510]One this I find that when I use nero to burn, I also look at the read speed. Odd that no one worries about reading issues but just the writing. I know on one of my nero disc’s it has expert mode, I cant find that disc right now but it does give more options. As far as the incd, I never use it I disabled it, I had a burn issue when I used a dvd rip program. Sorry I couldn’t help more…[/QUOTE]

It’s fine. Don’t worry about it. I was able to get one to burn successfully at 16x. :wink:

I was running into a problem, I wont say what I wanted to copy[expeed]. But what I figured out was if I burn slow I’d get a good copy. I must have went through about 10 disc’s that were missing stuff. I did this, I put in a new drive I had sitting in the .com room, and that was the problem. My other drives where a bit dirty or maybe getting old. Next I used nero to check out who made the discs[this was when I just started getting ty’s It seems that the cmc’s were one problem they lasted about 2 or 3 months and started fading away. So I did the next best thing—I mixed all the cmc’s and other low on the poll media put in som ty’s and ebayed them to a guy who makes discs of programs that he sell’s. I’m sure he was glad to sell more copies to the people he does the work for, but I never got a thank you from him. One last thing, have you or anyone on this thread ever installed 2 or 3 burners on the same system and used fab to do the multi burns? My brother in law does it, I just never tried it…

[QUOTE=valdan1;2153557]I was running into a problem, I wont say what I wanted to copy[expeed]. But what I figured out was if I burn slow I’d get a good copy. I must have went through about 10 disc’s that were missing stuff. I did this, I put in a new drive I had sitting in the .com room, and that was the problem. My other drives where a bit dirty or maybe getting old. Next I used nero to check out who made the discs[this was when I just started getting ty’s It seems that the cmc’s were one problem they lasted about 2 or 3 months and started fading away. So I did the next best thing—I mixed all the cmc’s and other low on the poll media put in som ty’s and ebayed them to a guy who makes discs of programs that he sell’s. I’m sure he was glad to sell more copies to the people he does the work for, but I never got a thank you from him. One last thing, have you or anyone on this thread ever installed 2 or 3 burners on the same system and used fab to do the multi burns? My brother in law does it, I just never tried it…[/QUOTE]

I’ve never had more than one burner installed on a system so far. I sold my old CD-RW drive to a friend since I didn’t have any use for it after upgrading to a DVD-RW drive a while back. Besides, it was a beige color and would’ve kind of stuck out in my now black tower, lol. I do know that Verbatim brand discs are some of the best discs you can buy though.:cool:

Hi,[quote=rxmorph;2153420]
It may very well be, but those were the instructions that were indicated in the disk I was attempting to burn[/quote]Ignore them since they are obsolete (no modern drive supports burning at 1x).

and since after burning some files were missing or “unreadable”, I assumed that this must be the problem.
At first, check if the download is not corrupted. There should be a MD5sum published, and there are tools that allow you to calculate the MD5sum of the downloaded file and compare that with the MD5sum published.

The other possible issue might be media compatibility. Maybe your drive (seems to be LG made: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/picked-up-hp840-gsa-h20l-sucessfully-x-flashed-gsa-h20-1-01-a-183915/) does not support your blank discs very well. Check HP support website if there is a newer firmware for your drive.

And a third, (this time speed related) issue could be that the burn quality might be better than at low speeds, since the burn strategy in firmware is optimised for higher speeds.

I forgot: Instead of Nero, try ImgBurn:slight_smile:

It kind of seems pointless to have an options button that leads you to specs rather than any real configurable options…
Only options can be configured, that are supported by the drive. I think, this is normal. And there are not much options with LG burners, and much less with LG OEM drives :wink:

Michael

Hi rxmorph, are you doing a CD? Here is somethings you might try. Can you try and convert over to a DVD Media disc? I only say this because I’ve had good luck at slower speeds when I used a early version of fab. Shrink and decryptor might help. Another thing is this try to start a post into a new area on cdfreaks. I’d also try google, I also try afterdawn.com[sorry cdfreaks] sometimes to get other input. If it is a download your working with I’ve ran into problems if the program is C.W ed. All I know is that like one of the other replies said media problems or burner problems. I did have a simular problem with a corp. copy of a O.S. from microsuck. I ended up opening up one of my extra drives[sony dvd r/rw] and was able to do it. I did have a problem and my nephew who is going to school for IT builds some great programs, but you’d have to email him to talk about what it is you want to copy. You can email me if you like. Does your copy of nero have the expert mode? One last thing is do you have a copy of sonic? I was able to copy what I couldn’t with it when nero failed. Dan, Good luck