Can't access SATA hard drive

vbimport

I just changed motherboards from P8H67 Deluxe to P8Z68 Pro. I can’t access my WD 1.5 SATA 6gbs it shows up in device manager and Bios when I boot up but is invisible in computer. I tried different ports and cables same problem, even tried SATA 3gbs port also. Installed it in a enclosure and hooked it up to eSATA and the same thing. Unistalled the drivers the reinstallation was reported as good. Any ideas? I tried other SATA hard drives and the same problem. Installed all the drivers from the P68 disc. TIA. Using Revo2 as boot drive and no problems with it.:sad:
Jim

Jim have you tried setting the hard drives in IDE mode, and see what happens? Also it would be a good idea to install the latest driers from intel.

[QUOTE=vroom;2591984]Jim have you tried setting the hard drives in IDE mode, and see what happens? Also it would be a good idea to install the latest driers from intel.[/QUOTE]
IDE mode is worse, boot up stops right before the Windows logo. According to windows the latest drivers are installed.

Make sure hot swapping is enabled, as you have to do that manually on Asus boards.
It’s also worth replacing the SATA cable.

[QUOTE=Dee;2592008]Make sure hot swapping is enabled, as you have to do that manually on Asus boards.
It’s also worth replacing the SATA cable.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I tried both already and a CMOS reset by removing the battery. The cables are brand new, the nice ones with a locking metal clip. I’ll try fiddlin with the cables again

Tried plugging into a raid card same problem,see it in device manager but not windows

Try the following
When in Windows goto the start menu, then right click on “computer” and then “manage”.
Click on the Disk management option, and if the drive is listed, try changing or creating a “drive letter”.

[QUOTE=Dee;2592017]Try the following
When in Windows goto the start menu, then right click on “computer” and then “manage”.
Click on the Disk management option, and if the drive is listed, try changing or creating a “drive letter”.[/QUOTE]
I do not know what I would do without you and others around here, [B]it[/B] [B]worked[/B] :flower::flower::flower:. I was awake untill 4AM last night trying to get this sorted out. :bigsmile:
Thanks again Dee :clap:

No problem, and I’m glad you got it sorted. :flower:
Time for you to catch up on some sleep now. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2592022]I do not know what I would do without you and others around here, [B]it[/B] [B]worked[/B] :flower::flower::flower:. I was awake untill 4AM last night trying to get this sorted out. :bigsmile:
Thanks again Dee :clap:[/QUOTE]

I was going to suggest that “brand new” (regarding your cables) does not equal “Known good”, I’ve done my share of hair pulling over NEW stuff that was bad out of the box.

I think what you ran into here was the “Foreign drive” syndrome

Larg drives, particularly those formatted “dynamic” aren’t recognized in windows, but they ARE recognized in Disc Management.

Another problem you are likely to run into is if you clone a windows 7 OS drive then later format the drive and insert it as a data drive in the computer where it was once the boot drive… alone with any drive that it was a previous cloned copy of

The drive will be “offline” due to a "signature collision"
You right click in the left most field of the drive map and can make the drive go online (permanantly resolving the “collision”)

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2592129]I was going to suggest that “brand new” (regarding your cables) does not equal “Known good”, I’ve done my share of hair pulling over NEW stuff that was bad out of the box.

I think what you ran into here was the “Foreign drive” syndrome

Larg drives, particularly those formatted “dynamic” aren’t recognized in windows, but they ARE recognized in Disc Management.

Another problem you are likely to run into is if you clone a windows 7 OS drive then later format the drive and insert it as a data drive in the computer where it was once the boot drive… alone with any drive that it was a previous cloned copy of

The drive will be “offline” due to a "signature collision"
You right click in the left most field of the drive map and can make the drive go online (permanantly resolving the “collision”)[/QUOTE]
Thanks alan,:clap:
Just to clarify, I tried all sorts of cables, old, new, expensive and cheap. I had a lot of issues with eSATA cables in the past. :wink: My previous 2 Sandy Bridge MBs did not have this problem so being a newbie I was lost. Was starting think the MB was defective.

BTW…

I have two 750gb WD “Black” drives as ata drives in my primary desktop.

I also have a crude approach to “Triple boot” my computer, I have seperate boot drives for XP, Vista and win7
and often when switching back and forth between boot drives I have to go into disc management and “import” thses suddenly “foreign” drives and usually assign the drive letters (H & Z respectively) that I’m used to using.

The only problem was dealing ith this the first time when I wasn’t sure if “importing them” was going to wipe the data on them or not

Funny thing is I only formatted them “Dynamic” because on initial installation all other options were greyed out
I’d love to have them as NTFS simple volumes but since they are “pure data” drives and each one a single partition it really doesn’t matter much so I leave things as they are…

It isn’t actually “Broken” so I am hesitant to try to “fix” things…

AD

Yeah, good solution.

comp management console is my fave tool. :slight_smile: