Can't access BIOS

I am having a problem with my BIOS. I simply can’t get into it. I am supposed to push F10 when the Compaq logo appears when the computer starts up. When I do this it just continues like I didn’t push anything. I have tried pushing Delete, Esc, F1, and various other F buttons but they only result in a keyboard error. I think it is because of the EZ-BIOS that I installed with my WD 40GB HDD. I haven’t tried it yet though because I don’t really feel like unistalling it because I don’t know if I will have to resinstall everything. So before I do that does anyone have any ideas?

Many Compaq models require a boot disk to access the BIOS. Give us the model number and i’ll do some hunting.

Originally posted by mmz87
I am having a problem with my BIOS. I simply can’t get into it. I am supposed to push F10 when the Compaq logo appears when the computer starts up. When I do this it just continues like I didn’t push anything. I have tried pushing Delete, Esc, F1, and various other F buttons but they only result in a keyboard error. I think it is because of the EZ-BIOS that I installed with my WD 40GB HDD. I haven’t tried it yet though because I don’t really feel like unistalling it because I don’t know if I will have to resinstall everything. So before I do that does anyone have any ideas?

Need to hit F10 before the compaq logo. If it’s showing the compaq logo, the bios is already half loaded.

But check the compaq website for your model, because often they need something silly like hold “Esc” key on a power up, then press F10. Now this should be the same as a cold reboot, but not always (go figure). Post your model number and we’ll look for you.:smiley:

The model number is 6704. Have fun trying to find it as it is ancient:bigsmile: . I have searched for it before and it says it is no longer supported. However, if you do manage to find something on it, can you provide a site and how u got it? I have the manual and it says you only have to press F10 and I have had this computer for years and that is all I have ever done. It also said to press it when the cursor is blinking on the Compaq screen and there is no blinking cursor before it. I will still try it though because I have a feeling that is probably it. And for the boot disk, I had made one before that loaded into the BIOS but I can’t seem to find it…I will go ahead and try it again. I’ll post again afterwards.

The model number is 6704.

Which family is it? prolinea, business PC , presario, etc?

And what country did you buy it in. The model number isn’t enough unfortunately. Compaq likes to trial models in the US and tweak their costing for other countries (read as: replace good parts with crap parts)

Presario 6704 bought in U.S. I tried F10 before the Compaq screen appeared and still no luck.:frowning:

This comes direct from the compaq support pages for the presario 67XX

"To enter Setup, press the F10 key during POST when the computer is started. Note that Setup may be protected with a password that prevents unauthorized use, in which case you will be prompted. If settings are modified, be sure to Save Changes and Exit for them to take effect. "

Note that “when it is started”

Turn the computer fully off. Then turn it on and press and hold the F10 key immediately and see what happens.

Just tried shutting the computer down completely and turned it back on while holding F10. Still no luck. I tried it 3 times holding it for different periods of time and just pressing it once. If I hold it until the Compaq screen I get a keyboard error message. Tomorrow is my last day of school for the holiday’s so I will have time to try messing with the HDD’s or EZ-BIOS as I am sure that is what is causing the problem. BTW, somebody doesn’t happen to have the boot disc I can use to boot to the BIOS?

i know with most Compaq its F10, have u tried the Delete key instead?
my friends old Compaq uses the Delete key to get into the bios.
might work, don’t know.

Agreed, maybe try f1, f5, esc, del (not backspace) and home keys.

They are the ones that I know have been used in the past. Try them. You have nothing to lose, maybe.
:slight_smile:

When it’s in the POST (Power On Self Test) the computer will show a square blinking cursor in the top right corner of a text mode screen. This and only this is the momentum to press F10.

Try the left or right Ctrl button - some PC’s get into the BIOS with those.

I’ve now tried Esc, F1, F10, Delete, F2, and Ctrl in the post boot, when the top left cursor blinks, and when the top right cursor blinks. Still nothing happens. I’ll try uninstalling EZ-BIOS after Xmas as I don’t know how much time I’ll have to put into it.

I seem to recall something about old Compaq’s storing the BIOS (or at least a portion of it) on a hidden partition on the hard drive that came with the computer.

nutsack: That is not true about my computer because about a year after we got it the hard drive crashed and I replaced it. Since then I put a new hard drive in but the older one is still installed. So if this was true we wouldn’t have been able to access the BIOS after the first one crashed.

are you still using the same keyboard that came with the computer? the problem you are having is the same one I had when I replaced my PS/2 keyboard with a usb one. I couldnt acess the bios during boot. I had to get a usb/PS/2 adapter and hook the keyboard up to the PS/2 port before I could get intot he bios.

Nope. still using the same keyboard that came with the computer. The only thing that has changed recently is the hard drive.

The reason this isnt working for you(i have the excact same comp…) you must download this fix for it from this site… http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_detail.asp?Model=3162&Div=4&Os=3&SoftwareVer=12588 . if this dont work i have a few more tricks up my sleeve that will get this workin… e mail me at hottieboy7734@netscape.net

I beleive you shall hail me!:bow: :bigsmile:

nutsack: That is not true about my computer because about a year after we got it the hard drive crashed and I replaced it. Since then I put a new hard drive in but the older one is still installed. So if this was true we wouldn’t have been able to access the BIOS after the first one crashed.
It is TRUE when you changed your HDD you would have used the restore disc that came with your compaq which installs everything.

Old Compaq model need 2 passes to install an O/S because one pass installs BIOS which is stored on the HDD. After you changed the HDD, you probably never put BIOS in again. This is what i remember from my experience when working on Compaq’s and part of the reason why I hated them so… hehehe… :wink: