Canon Pixma IP5000 no colours

vbimport

I have IP 5000 for few years so far everytime I have problem with colours cleaning of head would help. Now I was printing some leaflets and after about 12 colour would not prit. Just without usualy fading off. Try everything ( clean heads, reinstall driver, set into service mode and back) so far in no avail. Black is printing good and test page does not show any part of colour.
Question is: Is it bad head or something with electronic?

Hey Oldman…welcome to the forum.

I also had an iP5000…excellent printer too.
But after 5 years it too started to play up…cleaning it didn´t help. I coonsidered sending it for refurbishment, but guess what…it isn´t really worth it. I bought an iP4600 which is basically the same except the cartridges have chips and less ink…!

So, I´d say it´s time to retire it…sorry buddy. But check out the new printers carefully…

I wouldn’t retire it unless it is hopelessly broken. The money saved by using compatible cartridges in the iP5000 versus a new “chipped” inkjet can be well over $1,000 per year depending on printing load of the user. Even if it costs $300 for Canon to repair it that cost could be re-cupped in a few months.

To the OP, it might be a print head gone bad. A print head runs $50 online so it might be worth the risk to try. Also, you might want to call Canon and get a price for repair. They will typically ship you a refurbished printer very quickly and you return your printer in the box you received the new one. Canon refurbished my N2000 for $300 and that was a great deal considering the print head alone on the N2000 is a $500-$600 item.

The iP5000 is a fantastic printer and one of the best non-chipped printers Canon ever produced. It is economical to operate and and well worth saving, if possible.

I also have an IP5000 and when I had a problem that was similar I took off the tanks, removed the head and soaked the bottom with head cleaner over night. Reassembled with fresh tanks and to my delight found it working again.
My son’s printer on the other hand did not respond to this treatment but a replacement head was purchased on e bay for £30 and that cured his problem.
Incidentally neither of us use cannon ink but jetec replacement tanks costing between £1-£2 each and have done so since we purchased the printers, although I have used £0:50 cheaper tanks as well.
Best of luck and welcome to cdfreaks.

[QUOTE=weedougie;2559113]Incidentally neither of us use cannon ink but jetec replacement tanks costing between £1-£2 each and have done so since we purchased the printers, although I have used £0:50 cheaper tanks as well. Best of luck and welcome to cdfreaks.[/QUOTE]

We use compatible cartridges in all our Canon printers at a cost of $1.59 each. Much better than paying $12 each for Canon OEM cartridges. We save close to $1,000 per year using compatibles.

The newer Canon printers can be had dirt cheap in the USA but like said, if that one is way cheaper to buy ink for and CAN print just as good as the newer locked down ones I’d clean or replace the head before I gave up.
I have a OLD HP990 I just love, compatible big ink carts for it are pretty cheap, it prints double sided automatically, and it prints excellent quality to any paper I feed it and still does excellent color photos to photo paper. I even was finally able to refill a cart that still continues to work afterwords and that was the one area I never could get to work for long.
I have taken it apart and cleaned and lubed it up once and it continues to soldier on and it’s my main do everything printer.
I have a couple of Epsons I use for critical photo prints and media labels.
I even acquired a parts printer that is fully complete for free so now I have spares :clap: