Canon iP4600

vbimport

Hey,

Apple has a new rebate where if you buy a refurbished Macbook you can get $100 off of a printer. Well I just did this and called them trying to get an iP4500 printer. Apparently, they don’t sell those anymore (contrary to their website). Anyways, the lady offered me the iP4600 instead (the “upgraded” version).

So the question is: can these print onto CDs and DVDs? I know you have to buy a separate tray for the iP4500, but I couldn’t find a tray for the iP4600 for the life of me (searched eBay and Google). I was very disappointed when she told me I couldn’t have the 4500, but alas, I’ll have to find something else. Other options for printers from them are MP470, MP520, MP530, MX300, MX310 and an Epson R280 or RX595. Obviously they have other printers but these are the only ones either free or close to free with the rebate.

I was really hoping to buy a Canon but I wanted to check here first to see if anyone knew about printing CDs with the 4600.

Thanks so much in advance.

EDIT: I read the rules and searched for the iP4600 on this website and found nothing. If this has already been posted about and discussed then I am sorry.

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers/Inkjet/PIXMA_iP4600/index.asp

*   Photo prints with 1pl, 9600x2400dpi resolution*
* 10x15cm photolab-quality print in approximately 20 seconds*
* 5 Single Inks
* ChromaLife100+ system**
* Two paper trays
[b]* Print on DVD/CD[/b]
* Easy-PhotoPrint EX software
* Print direct from a digital camera

It appears to have the same tray loading slot as the IP4500, so odds are fair that it will use the same tray. Which is Tray “F”.

That is very good news that it could use tray F. Thanks so much for the reply. I really wish they included CD/DVD printing already in the US versions http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=184&modelid=17105#ModelTechSpecsAct. Maybe next time.

If you buy IP4600, or to anyone who already owns it, I am very interested in the output quality for photo. Is it better than 4500? I see they changed the cartridges, maybe they also changed the inks.

This thread will have you looking for iP4500 :bigsmile:

The difference in ink tank yield is likely due mainly to the smaller tanks. Of course if they cost the same, it’s a bad move. We really haven’t seen much about the print quality. On discs, it won’t matter since they are low-res anyhow. The new head may or may not be as fast. Prolly fast on some things and slow on others. I’m prolly going to pick up a IP4500 for a spare.

I contacted one of the main suppliers of the Canon disc trays. He informs me that the IP4600 will [B]NOT[/B] use the F tray, but something new and different. He is working on getting them imported right now.

The other question will be whether the IP4600 will respond to the same EEPROM commands to enable disc printing.

Currently, the IP4500 and F tray are widely available at the same prices they have always been, so buying the IP4500 is still the best option.

I talked to the guy that runs damn printer and he said that the new tray is called the G tray. Here’s his reply if anyone is interested.

Most likely the steps are the same as the IP4500. You will need to try it and then email me if it worked or not. It also needs Tray G which has not shown up on ebay yet. I’m not sure what differences there are between Tray G and Tray F, sometimes they are minor and the older tray works just fine in the newer models. Tray b worked with tray c models and might have worked with tray d as well.

DamnPrinter.com

Hi,

I have an iP4600 cd/dvd printer, and I have a problem when printing directly on the dvd. After printing, the dvd comes out with an inner white circle at the inner edge of the dvd!

Can someone recommend a software that is able to allow me to print with a full template? or else I can use Nero Express 7 but I need to have the correct template of Tray G that suits my printer!

I hope someone can help me to solve this problem!

Thanks in advance

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifunctionals/InkJet/PIXMA_MP_series/MP600.aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:13-518494&page=1&type=faq

[QUOTE=retnis;2296686]Hi,

I have an iP4600 cd/dvd printer, and I have a problem when printing directly on the dvd. After printing, the dvd comes out with an inner white circle at the inner edge of the dvd!

Can someone recommend a software that is able to allow me to print with a full template? or else I can use Nero Express 7 but I need to have the correct template of Tray G that suits my printer!

I hope someone can help me to solve this problem!

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

How did you get the printer to print on CDs? I just got a ip4600 and I can’t get it to work.

[QUOTE=CW777;2431068]How did you get the printer to print on CDs? I just got a ip4600 and I can’t get it to work.[/QUOTE]

He didn’t buy it in the USA. USA models don’t print on discs thus far.