Canon ip4500 is discontinued?

vbimport

After reading various threads on this site I decided I wanted to purchase the Canon ip4500 instead of the Epson RX680. I started to search for a site that sells the printer and I’m coming up empty handed. I checked Canons site and this model is not even on there line up anymore.

Some online stores I went to say the printer has been discontinued and is no longer being sold.

There are a few on Ebay but I really just want to buy the printer and not have to bid on it.

If the IP4500 is in fact discontinued which model of Canon took it’s place?

Should I go with the Epson rx680 instead?

[QUOTE=arce;2183643]After reading various threads on this site I decided I wanted to purchase the Canon ip4500 instead of the Epson RX680. I started to search for a site that sells the printer and I’m coming up empty handed. I checked Canons site and this model is not even on there line up anymore.

Some online stores I went to say the printer has been discontinued and is no longer being sold.

There are a few on Ebay but I really just want to buy the printer and not have to bid on it.

If the IP4500 is in fact discontinued which model of Canon took it’s place?

Should I go with the Epson rx680 instead?[/QUOTE]
The Canons that use CLI-8 ink tanks have been phased out.
See these threads to learn more :
http://club.cdfreaks.com/search.php?searchid=3124294

The AIO that uses the same print engine as iP4500 is called MP610.
At the moment it is still available here :

Costco and Fry’s have just finished blowing out all their MP610’s
It has been reported that a few iP4500’s are still available at some Staples stores in Canada.

The main reason I was interested in the model was for Printing on DVD’s/CD’s and Photos. After reading that the ip4500 only needed the F tray and some reconfiguring of software, is it the same for the MP610?

Or am I back to the option of the Epson R280 or RX680?

I use an Epson RX595 for printing on cd/dvd’s. It works fine but for one small problem. The ink runs if the cd or dvd gets wet. Other than that I have no complaints.

[QUOTE=arce;2183683]The main reason I was interested in the model was for Printing on DVD’s/CD’s and Photos. After reading that the ip4500 only needed the F tray and some reconfiguring of software, is it the same for the MP610?[/QUOTE]
Yes, same print engine, same tray. It’s the multi-function version.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-MX850-iP4500-MP610-MP960-MP970-CD-Printer-Tray-F_W0QQitemZ120353979274QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPrinter_Accessories?hash=item120353979274&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
Tony has just purchased a MP610, so he would have fresh, first-hand knowledge of the re-programming/setup for MP610 disk printing.

Or am I back to the option of the Epson R280 or RX680?

I haven’t used these, so I can’t comment.

[QUOTE=arce;2183683]The main reason I was interested in the model was for Printing on DVD’s/CD’s and Photos. After reading that the ip4500 only needed the F tray and some reconfiguring of software, is it the same for the MP610?

Or am I back to the option of the Epson R280 or RX680?[/QUOTE]

I would expect to find an IP4500 on a store shelf somewhere, but you’d be making more than a few trips around to find one. The IP4600 is much the same in terms of function, just a bit more costly to operate, and a tad slower. It’s still a good value at current prices.

[quote=CDan;2183714]I would expect to find an IP4500 on a store shelf somewhere, but you’d be making more than a few trips around to find one. [B]The IP4600 is much the same in terms of function, just a bit more costly to operate, and a tad slower. It’s still a good value at current prices[/B].[/quote] Anyone seen the CD print tray and region setting change instructions offered in the USA for the IP4600 yet? As with the IP4500, it appears that the USA version of the 4600 can be enabled for DTD printing once the UK tray and region settings are added…

After I bought the F tray on E-bay they link a site that shows the steps for this printer and most others.

http://damnprinter.com/105/the-five-easy-steps.html

Also I have a few questions ,Maybe stupid questions.

So basically with the 610 and the ip4500 these are the last of the CLI-8 ink tank users? Was the main PRO to the user who wants to use aftermarket ink??

Is this why they are highly sought after?

[QUOTE=arce;2183947]After I bought the F tray on E-bay they link a site that shows the steps for this printer and most others.

http://damnprinter.com/105/the-five-easy-steps.html

Also I have a few questions ,Maybe stupid questions.

So basically with the 610 and the ip4500 these are the last of the CLI-8 ink tank users? Was the main PRO to the user who wants to use aftermarket ink??

Is this why they are highly sought after?[/QUOTE]
In a nutshell, the new tanks (read iP4600) are smaller and the chips cannot yet be reset by home refillers.
Took 2 years to develop the CLI-8 chip resetter.
When ink tanks are easily handled by home refillers, it usually means good prices/availability on professional refills as well.
Spent CLI-8 tanks can actually be re-sold on eBay…that speaks volumes AFAIC.
See here:

[QUOTE=RWP;2183907]Anyone seen the CD print tray and region setting change instructions offered in the USA for the IP4600 yet? As with the IP4500, it appears that the USA version of the 4600 can be enabled for DTD printing once the UK tray and region settings are added…[/QUOTE]

Search and ye shall find.

Thanks guys! You answered my questions and then some…

This site has a wealth of information.

[quote=CDan;2184046]Search and ye shall find.[/quote]Actually, I did Google for this info just a few days ago and saw nothing new at Damn printer either… Thanks for the link! :bow:

One LAST question:)

Does the 610 use the same engine as the ip4500?

Ok i looked at the other thread and Yes they are the same engine.

[QUOTE=arce;2184566]One LAST question:)

Does the 610 use the same engine as the ip4500?

Ok i looked at the other thread and Yes they are the same engine.[/QUOTE]

Identical in every way.

[QUOTE=RWP;2184266]Actually, I did Google for this info just a few days ago and saw nothing new at Damn printer either… Thanks for the link! :bow:[/QUOTE]

I know that I did see reports that the IP4600 takes the same commands as the IP4500 when setting the EEPROM for disc printing. But for some reason this has yet to be confirmed by the experts and sellers of trays.

Jflan, I forgot to ask who is Tony? It would be great to ask someone questions on the setup of the printer when I recieve it. From the reading I have done it sounds like it’s a pain to configure the 610 for printing a disk.

[QUOTE=arce;2185532]Jflan, I forgot to ask who is Tony? [/QUOTE]
annocjr

It would be great to ask someone questions on the setup of the printer when I recieve it. From the reading I have done it sounds like it’s a pain to configure the 610 for printing a disk.

I suggest that you back to post #5 and open the link.
Then read [B]all[/B] the information that Tony provides.
If you still have questions and have purchased your cd tray from Tony, I am sure that he will assist you.

Success!

It worked first try. Thanks everyone.

Congratulations :clap:
It’s a kick in the butt, watching that first cd cycle into the printing bay :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=CDan;2184046]Search and ye shall find.[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks! Just what I was looking for too!