Canon IP4500 Glossy Disc Printing

Hello,

I am printing on Glossy Watershield hub printable discs (MBI DVD+R DL 8X) and the print quality on them is really poor using my Canon IP4500. I find the colours look very washed out. On my Epson R300 they look stunning. Is this something to do with the fact i cannot select Glossy Photo Paper Plus II when printing on a disc? When i print on a sheet of glossy photo paper using the Glossy Photo Paper Plus II setting it looks stunning.

Is there a way this can be fixed?

Thanks

Something is amiss in your driver settings.

When you first click “print”, the CDLabelPrint pane that opens has a setting for saturation, be sure that is set to “dark”.

Next click the “printer” button and look at the driver settings. There’s no need to select anything other than “printable disc” for paper type, but the other settings are relevant. Start by making sure that “print quality” is set to “high” and “color/intensity” is set to “auto”.

If that doesn’t help, you need to run a diagnostic on the print head. Go to the maintenance tab and print a nozzle check test.

I am pretty sure i am using all those settings. If it were something wrong with the print head, wouldn’t it also affect my prints when i print onto glossy photo paper?

Thanks

If the colors are washed out, it could be that you chose “light” rather than dark. Be sure to use the Printable Disc (recommended) media type rather than the “(other)” setting.

What app are you using to print the photo paper? I just started using my iP4500 and have noticed that the Canon CD Label Print software prints colors slightly different than Photoshop (Elements). I haven’t sorted it out yet but that could be part of the difference you’re seeing.

I use TY Watershield’s not MBI.

I’ve never seen the MBI glossy, hopefully it’s not that much worse than Watershield.

But if all else fails, using the manual “color/intensity” settings in the driver will correct this. Bumping intensity up till it looks right. If the disc is too tacky after printing, you went too far.

[QUOTE=MSmart99;2298252]
I just started using my iP4500 and have noticed that the Canon CD Label Print software prints colors slightly different than Photoshop (Elements). I haven’t sorted it out yet but that could be part of the difference you’re seeing.

[/QUOTE]
Be sure that the printer is using the appropriate RGB color profile by default. Adobe will probably force the RGB profile, where LabelPrint will use whatever is set as default for the printer. Or, manually set up your printer’s profile for whatever color profile it is using (prolly a Canon profile). Manually setting of a profile requires quite a few test prints and some color bars to print.

Of course, all this begins with a thorough and accurate setup/calibration of your monitor, so that what you see on screen is in fact what will be sent to the printer. Most such printing complaints are the result of a un-calibrated monitor. Again, use of the RGB profile is best.

Thanks for the info guys, when i get home i will confirm all of my settings.

I am using Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker to do the printing.

The MBI glossy discs have amazing print quality off of my Epson R300. I find the colours to be more accurate to my monitor (Dell 3007-HC WFP) on the disk than on the paper.

All of my settings were correct, very odd…

Any other suggestions?

[QUOTE=drakore;2298725]All of my settings were correct, very odd…

Any other suggestions?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=CDan;2298275]
But if all else fails, using the manual “color/intensity” settings in the driver will correct this. Bumping intensity up till it looks right. If the disc is too tacky after printing, you went too far.[/QUOTE]

It’s also very possible that the media is just FUBAR. Unless you have some glossy TY or Verbatim to compare it to, it’s hard to say.

I have done in the past single layer MBI glossy disc with Canon iP4300 and compatible ink (Skyprint) and all come fine like TY Watershield, without special settings. The recording layer don`t has the same quality like TYG03 but with Pioneer drive and 6x burn speed is OK.