Canon IP4200 printing problem : squares are smudged after printhead alignment

vbimport

I have the following problem with my Canon Pixma IP4200 printer:

The printed testpaper shows squares who are smudged after aligning the printhead . (see attachment).
I have cleaned the printhead, made several alignments, cleaned the bottom plate, always with the same result.

How can I resolve this?

Thanks for your help.

Staf

Okay, the main questions is are you using Genuine Canon Ink? I know this Ink is much more expensive, but it solves most of these Ink problems. I love Canon Stand Alone Printers, I’ve had several Ink Jet Printers. Now I have a Canon Laser Color Printer, and it’s the best decision I have made. It’s a Network Printer very fast with accurate colors. :cool:

Have you gone through a ton of ink over the years? If so then your sponge that is inside the ink tray may be full.

Remove the print head from the printer and clean it off. Do not leave it sitting out with no tanks in it for more than a few minutes. Looks like it’s just covered with gunk.

[QUOTE=alchav21;2636440]Okay, the main questions is are you using Genuine Canon Ink? I know this Ink is much more expensive, but it solves most of these Ink problems. I love Canon Stand Alone Printers, I’ve had several Ink Jet Printers. Now I have a Canon Laser Color Printer, and it’s the best decision I have made. It’s a Network Printer very fast with accurate colors. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I use alternative ink since several years without any problem. I don’t think the ink is the cause of the smudged squares.

Yes, I have used a lot of ink.
Where is this sponge exactly situated? Is it at the right side when you open the printer cover?

I removed the printhead and cleaned it, but without success. I still have the same problem.

Time for a new print head. Last time I checked pricing, it was around $75. A new Canon printer with a comparable print engine is about $100.

It’s possible there’s a feed problem causing the paper to rub the bottom plate, but either way a new printer might be the shortest path to satisfaction.

[QUOTE=stafsyriacops;2636608]I use alternative ink since several years without any problem. I don’t think the ink is the cause of the smudged squares.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I also used Knock-offs on my Canon i960 and it worked good for a long time but then started to give me problems like you. I changed to genuine Canon Ink and it solved my problem. Then I started to get an Error Light about the Sponge talked about, and that the Printer had to go back to the Manufacturer. So I decided to get a new Printer, and I had been looking at Lasers. Canon had some on sale for under $300, so I bought one and it was a good decision. The Color Toners cost more, but they last a long time. If you do a fair amount of printing, you won’t be disappointed. They have Ethernet Networking too, very solid. :cool: