Canon ip4200 and TY WaterShield CDs

Hi guys,
I am a newbie to the forum and the ip4200 I’ve bought - new and unused.

I am using Taiyo Yuden Water Shield White Inkjet Hub Printable (glossy) 52X CD-R Media and am having a difficult time with the quality of the finished print.

I have read reviews on this site and I am getting an impression that folks have got excellent quality results from printing to these CD-Rs. Unfortunately, I am getting marks on my CD-R which look like rollers have made contact with the ink i.e. there are 6 straight smudge lines running vertically down the CD-R print surface as it aligns with the CD print tray. If anyone has any advice on how to stop this happenning, I welcome it.

I also had this with a HP Photosmart D7560 but upgraded to the Canon after reading reviews that made me think I wouldn’t have this problem with the ip4200.

I have used the Canon CD-LabelPrint software as well as Surething Deluxe V5. Same results with both.

Thanks in anticipation of any help,
Dave

Make sure the disc door is dropped fully down (this spreads the rollers) and the disc is firmly snapped into the tray. Apart from that, it’s the luck of the draw whether one printer does this or not.

[QUOTE=CDan;2446980]Make sure the disc door is dropped fully down (this spreads the rollers) and the disc is firmly snapped into the tray. Apart from that, it’s the luck of the draw whether one printer does this or not.[/QUOTE]

The door is fully open. I think I can see where it is rubbing but can’t make out what its rubbing against. The rollers are under the CD tray so it doesn’t seem to be that. However above where the tray runs, there are about 11 little objects that almost look like the stylus you get on a vinyl record player (bare in mind I am looking from the front). 6 of these are placed in positions that correspond with the track I am seeing.

I have no idea what they are, what they do, or why 6 are marking the CD whereas the rest are not.

One thing I have noticed is that they raise and lower as the door is opened and closed respectively. Your point about having the door fully open may be in the right direction. However, how do I make them go the extra distance without forcing or breaking anything - and I wonder what they actually do.

You’re looking at the feed rollers. They pull paper out of the printer and have little teeth in them that grip paper against the rubber rollers underneath. There are sets of rollers that grip the disc tray edges in the same way. The reason Watershield get’s touched by these is that it’s too thick and sticks up above the surface of the tray. There’s nothing you can do about it, except change media. Try some Verbatim AquaAce and see if it’s better with that printer. Otherwise you’re stuck with non-gloss media.

I Googled Verbatim AquaAce - isn’t that a DVD-R. Do you have any glossy WarerShield CD-Rs to recommend. The main reason I have stuck with TY over the years is because of the reputation they have for audio quality

For CDRs, you could try Verbatim gloss. But they are not hub-printable. they will have a more satin finish, but look very nice.

“Audio quality” has nothing to do with what discs you use, but burn quality does. With most CDRs that’s a matter of finding the right combination of media, burner and burn speed.

Hi CDan,
Thanks for your update. Its a pity that I appear to be stuck with a whole batch of good CD-Rs that I can’t use :frowning:

What gets me is you would think that somebody - hint the CD and printer manufacturers - would get together and work this sort of issue out.

Do you know of any site anywhere that gives a list of what types of printable CD/DVD work with what printers?

Thanks,
Dave

[QUOTE=wendivad;2448511]Hi CDan,
Thanks for your update. Its a pity that I appear to be stuck with a whole batch of good CD-Rs that I can’t use :frowning:

What gets me is you would think that somebody - hint the CD and printer manufacturers - would get together and work this sort of issue out.

Do you know of any site anywhere that gives a list of what types of printable CD/DVD work with what printers?

Thanks,
Dave[/QUOTE]

I don’t think it has so much to do with printer models as it does with normal variations between any 2 printers in the same model line. I’ve used Canon IP4000 and IP4500 and never seen more than occasional very light marks on Watershield. The IP4200 had some issues and was quickly replaced by the 4300. The 4500 is a different printer altogether in terms of the tray, rollers and heads.

If you can eBay sell the rest of those Watershield they are a hot item!

[QUOTE=wendivad;2448511]Hi CDan,

Thanks,
Dave[/QUOTE]

Hi there,
Can anyone make a recommendation as to what is a reliable printer (make/model) for printing on Taiyo Yuden Watershield CDs?

I have had no success with either a HP D7560 or a Canon IP4200. Both leave vertical streaks across the CD, which I believe is due to the printer rollers. I would really like to find a solution that works with the TY CDs.

Thanks,
Dave

I’m looking at a Watershield disc I printed today on a Canon IP4500 and there are no marks on it.

Thanks CDan - I guess I’ll be looking for an IP4500 in a holiday sale :slight_smile:

CDan - or anyone else - any experience with the IP4600 and the Watershield discs? IP4600s seem to be working out cheaper than IP4500 in holiday sales (so far)

[QUOTE=wendivad;2469462]CDan - or anyone else - any experience with the IP4600 and the Watershield discs? IP4600s seem to be working out cheaper than IP4500 in holiday sales (so far)[/QUOTE]

The IP4600 does not print discs in the USA, so user reports are limited. It does use a different print engine than the IP4500, and different tray.

As previously posted, it’s also possible that 2 printers of the same model line might have differences in this regard. It’s not clear that this is a model-specific issue. Being discontinued, the 4500 will be expensive and rare for a number of reasons.

CDan - after an afternoon of much research, I have additional questions that I am hoping you might be able to answer:

1. I am getting a feeling that my chances of getting an ip4500 that will not scuff the CD-R are improved if I am able to get an older version that has rubber rather than plastic rollers. Can you confirm this theory at all?
  2. I am reading that production of IP4500s that had rubber rollers stopped around 2007. Is this true and is there any easy way to check whether a model will have rubber or plastic (given I am dealing online and not hands on examining the product)
  3. Depending on answer to above, I expect my chances of getting an older model move me into the “used” rather than new category. What should I be looking out for when dealing with used models? I don’t want to buy one and finish up with something that needs a lot of repair before I can even start printing CDs/DVDs

BTW - a lot of my questions come from this post:

and comments made by “FlyingLuka” along with his posted scan

The “rollers” contact only the bottom of the disc tray, so it doesn’t matter what they are made of. The top rollers are toothed for handling paper. None of the top rollers are supposed to contact the disc in any circumstances, so again it matters not what they are made of. The tray is fed by rollers at the outside edges, again not affecting the disc itself.

I wouldn’t concern myself with it. If you can find a functional printer, try it out. As to used printers, the most likely issue (assuming it is mechanically intact) will be the print head. If it’s been allowed to dry out, the head will be clogged. So you’d be looking for a unit that’s printing the day you buy it and shipped with the ink tanks still in place. A tricky situation, since the carriage will not be locked down during shipping, but you can’t avoid that.

I also used an Epson R280 for a while that had only very minor issues with tracks on Watershield discs.

Hi there,

Do you use original Canon inks or refilled ones?

I had a similar problem on a Canon Pixma 4000. It occured while I was printing TY DVD-Rs (I can’t recall the type, but the where glossy - purchased in 100pcs). I had some vertical black/gray lines, that weren’t exactly just lines; it was like if a few small drops of ink fell on disk surface and rubbed against something and thus spreading on the surface in a vertical direction.

In my case the problem occured from low quality refilled ink (not Canon original ink). The ink, specially the black inks, were as if they were “thinner” than the original. In normal paper the characters had a “bleeding” effect in the edges if you looked closely.

The solution was to replace the cartridges with original Canon inks, after a couple of prints no more lines on the DVD surface.

Thanks for the input :slight_smile:

In this case though I am using a brand new printer and ink so suspect as CDan said that its the model :frowning:

Hi there, i have responded to someone else on this site about these disc printers. The canon, Epson and HP printers with disc printing facilities are NOT designed for printing on watershield, waterproof or aquaguard discs as these discs have greater thickness than a normal printable disc. Unless you make your own modifacations to the printer itself you will always experience markings on specially coated disc.

Canon, Epson and HP all state that their printers will not accomodate these coated discs and until the manufactures make a model that does you will always have problems.

Epson will not do this as they want you to purchase thier disc printer which is around £2000, after saying this i have noticed that they have broght out a P50 printer which prints on cd/dvd, Do not know anyone who has tried watershield with one of these but it’s worth looking into, best thing is to ring Epson and ask them.

This might cause some amusement. I contacted TY to ask what they recommend as a printer. After all, you’d think they’d do some testing wouldn’t you? :wink:

Here is the response I got:
Thank you for contacting us.
There is no special recommendation, however I personally like Epson print quality with our WaterShield media. The one I have is inexpensive Epson printer, It works great.