Canon 610 Printing Issue - CD Inserts & Paper Stock

Ok, here is the situation. I am posting here becuase so many have experiance with using this printer here and, while it is not DISC printing, it is inserts which some may have done before. Also, sorry for spelling issues, I am on my GF’s MAC and you can’t just click on the underlined error word to fix it (silly MACS).

I am trying to make some CD Inserts for a customer. I have the Canon MP610 printer I am using to print on the discs. He wants some CD inserts and is not happy with what he got from the last place he tried.

I got some HP Brochure paper (48 I think) and it is glossy. I like this stock because it has the glossy finish the customer wants and it has some weight to it. It is also not too expensive when pruchased in bulk. I am attempting to print front AND back on the paper. I am also using Nero Cover Design to print.

When I went to select paper stock in the printer properties before print, I had to select plain paper. If I picked any other stock such as glossy, glossy pro, glossy photo paper, etc… the image did not print properly (Blacks were a blueish tint). When I set it to plain paper, the image printed properly…BUT, the ink does not dry to the paper (I think it is using the pigment black). Even a day later I can rub the ink off, mostly only the black.

Now, I am not using Canon inks, currently using G&G’s (they are printing good on the discs, not as dark as the canons, but hey for the price I can set the printer to dark and still save a boat load).

So, what I need to know is a few things:
First, anyone know a paper setting to set for this HP Brochure paper to get the printer to use the small tank black (shouldn’t rub off on a gloss)

2nd, if paper is the issue, anyone reccommend a similar thick & gloss paper, easy to purchase in quanity and comparable in price ( I got 50 sheets for 11 with tax as a test pack, the 150 boxes sell even cheaper per page…and I can print 2 inserts per page). Also this paper is double sidded, so I have the option to do a back side of an insert (its for a slim case). This stuff seems fesable for me from the supply side. I could end up printing hundreds a weeks.

3rd, now this may be realted to the ink not drying issue, When I flip the page over, and print the back, the rollers or the something in the printer rub the side already printed and cut up the picture. Is there a way to prevent this?

4th, what about a a clear, maybe stick on protective sheet i can apply to the paper that will A: protect the ink from smudge, B: protect from roller damage when printed on the back C: help make the paper even thicker. This is only doable if I can buy relatively cheaply at a low price.

5th, Any other points not mentioned or pointers for fixing my issues and getting the image I want, on the right paper, for the low cost I am looking for.

Now, I have seen the pre doen insert pages you can get, I dont want perforated paper, it looks like crap on the edges and is not a clean. Also, Mostly only available in MATTE. I have a large sheet cutter so I can stock several sheets and cut these quick and clean. No problem.
Thanks everyone.

You must use photo paper settings. But you can use any of the “high-res” paper types. The HP 2-sided glossy brochure should come out just fine and dry in minutes. Allowing it to fully dry before printing the 2nd side should eliminate roller marks.

I have some of that paper here. Using the “high resolution” paper setting on one side and “glossy photo paper” setting on the other side it came out much the same on both sides and looked great with the “high quality” setting. I waited one minute between printing the sides. I may very slightly prefer the “glossy photo paper” setting.

If that doesn’t work out, I’d have to suspect your inks. I’m using Canon inks on the IP4500, which is an identical printer to your 610.

[QUOTE=CDan;2271817]You must use photo paper settings. But you can use any of the “high-res” paper types. The HP 2-sided glossy brochure should come out just fine and dry in minutes. Allowing it to fully dry before printing the 2nd side should eliminate roller marks.

I have some of that paper here. Using the “high resolution” paper setting on one side and “glossy photo paper” setting on the other side it came out much the same on both sides and looked great with the “high quality” setting. I waited one minute between printing the sides. I may very slightly prefer the “glossy photo paper” setting.

If that doesn’t work out, I’d have to suspect your inks. I’m using Canon inks on the IP4500, which is an identical printer to your 610.[/QUOTE]

what inks do you use? I am going to run a test through right now with the High Res. The Glossy photo paper" setting did not work yesterday.

I did run the print head test yesterday, whenI printed the test page for alignment check, it was all aligned, all the colors printed straight…BUT the BK one on the bottom…NO LINE AT ALL…NO BLACK! I tihnk it may actually be that black ink.

In the test pattern, the black at the top in grid form is PGI-5BK, your pigment-based ink that is dedicated to text printing. In use, it is called up when you select Plain Paper and the print job is text.
This is the larger black cart.

The other black is CLI-8BK, sometimes referred to as Photo Black.
Sounds like your printhead nozzles that apply this color are plugged or there is a problem with that cartridge.
This is the smaller black cart.

Verify that the CLI8-BK cart is good, installed correctly and the top vent is open.
Try a printhead cleaning regimen with your Canon software. Don’t over do it if you are not flowing ink…1 maybe 2 cycles. Any more and you could overheat and damage the head.

If you’re not getting any response, you can try removing the cart and putting a couple of drops of distilled water (or Windex if clog is stubborn) onto the [B]printhead inlet port[/B]. Immediately replace the cart and let the printer sit for about 30 min and retry a cleaning cycle.

HAHAHAHA you guys are all going to laugh…

I left the sticker on the top inlet… God I feel so dumb.

Well, here I thought the G&G Photo Black was bad but turns out it is not. Good to go.

Next question, anyone know any good sites to buy paper (HP Brochure Paper) in bulk online.

Also, any programs BESIDES Ner Cover design for doing Inlay covers that are templated to size? Thanks for everyones help.

[QUOTE=deptacon;2271858]HAHAHAHA you guys are all going to laugh…

Well, here I thought the G&G Photo Black was bad but turns out it is not. Good to go.

Next question, anyone know any good sites to buy paper (HP Brochure Paper) in bulk online.

Also, any programs BESIDES Ner Cover design for doing Inlay covers that are templated to size? Thanks for everyones help.[/QUOTE]
Glad you got it sorted… a nice, easy fix :slight_smile:
For direct-printing disks, and inserts I use Acoustica. Surething is another good one.
Both offer free trials.

[QUOTE=deptacon;2271858]HAHAHAHA you guys are all going to laugh…

Also, any programs BESIDES Ner Cover design for doing Inlay covers that are templated to size? Thanks for everyones help.[/QUOTE]

I think the HP paper is limited to the 50-sheet boxes.

Almost anything is better than Nero for covers/inserts. As stated, ShureThing and Acoustica are popular. But you can create templates in almost any publishing program.