Cannot use/read recovered files - why?

Hi all,
I was prepping a HD the other night to be used under Win98 (for emulation purposes). As I have all my drives in removable caddy’s, I neglected to remove my slave drive from the PC before playing with FDISK.

I stuffed around with fdisk for a while and during the process, it said that it had found errors on the disk and needed to fix them before I could continue… This is where it all went wrong. It seems that I accidentally accepted a change which was applied to my slave drive also without me realizing that this was actually happening.

Anyhow, I managed to get Win98 installed on the drive (master), so I thought all was well until I booted up with my XP pro drive. It was then that I realised that my slave was no longer “available”. I had to do a quick format (ntfs) in order to see it again, however all the data is no longer readable.

I have managed to run easy recovery pro on it and it seems that most of the important files (mainly .jpg % .jpeg) can be copied to another drive without any problems.

What I have found is that I cannot preview or open any file which I have recovered. I have tried running jpg fix software to no avail.

Is this normal ? What should I do ? Is there a software which will allow me to simply allow me to see and use my files as they were previously ? Will Spinrite help ?

Since the quick-format I have NOT written any files to it whatsoever, so I can’t see how the files could be corrupt.

The problem is with “all” recovered files and it does not affect any particular type it would seem.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to CDFreaks Forum, the best advisable thing to do to send an email to drive manufacturer and ask them about data recovery of your drive they will give you the best solution.

What I have found is that I cannot preview or open any file which I have recovered.

I guess you haven’t actually recovered them, i.e. the files you created don’t contain JPEG data. Most jpeg readers would decode the picture up to the first error, and display at least part of the picture.

JPEG files start with the following bytes: FF D8 FF E0 and end with FF D9 (which may also occur in the middle of stream, sometimes)

WinHex relies on this information while trying to find recoverable files. The main requirement is that files are not fragmented, as at this point recovery software could not know how the fragments were allocated.

I think you should also be able to salvage some types of data manually, even with “some” fragmentation: uncompressed audio, MPEG audio (mp2, mp3, ac3). But you need another drive to copy the recovered data to.

Well, after using R-Undelete/ Stellar Phoenix/ Active@undelete & ER Pro, I am glad to say that “Recover My Files” has done the job superbly.

Not only did it find my files but it recovered them to the same state as they were before, whereas all the other programs failed. Now I have all my pictures, documents etc back, without any corruption whatsoever…

Persistence paid off…!!

Glad to hear that and thanks for telling us the solution.