Cannot run 2 sata odd's on 1 controller

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S203B / TS-H653B. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello,
I am running a Biostar P4m80-M4 motherboard with 2 IDE hard drives and onboard sata controller. I also have a SIL3512 satalink controller with a Sh-S203b connected to it. I recently purchased one of the TS-H653N burners on sale from Newegg. When I connected the TS-H653N to the controller and booted the PC it hung up on Verifying DMI Pool data. I rebooted again with the same thing. I can connect it to motherboard sata controller and it will boot ok but my other drive seems to perform better connected to the satalink controller and would like to connect both ODD’s to it. Any suggestions for a fix?:confused:

Hi,

assuming your 203B is connected to port 1 of your controller card, you might try if connecting
203N to port1 and
203B to port2
will work.
Also make sure you have the latest Bios and drivers for your controller card installed.

Connecting the drive to the Via Sata controller is some kind of emergency solution unless you have one of the newer southbridges. You may have a look into the FAQ I am spamming for in my signature :wink:

Michael

Hi, Michael

I have swapped the drives between the ports; I also swapped pci slots and enabled the configuration-reset option in the bios setup. Still hangs on verifying DMI pool data. I can boot the pc with one of the drives power plug disconnected and then plug it back up after boot up and it will recognize the drive.
All bios and drivers seem to be the latest and greatest.
Please enlighten me about the spamming in your signature .:confused:

Biostar is low end. Buy an SIL 31xx or 35xx controller.

[quote=chef;2205125]Buy an SIL 31xx or 35xx controller.[/quote]Re-Read the initial post again :wink:

@Sparky57
Are you using the RAID BIOS on your Sil 3512 card?

Running a sataraid card that has been flashed to satalink. Driver version 1.3.71.1, bios version B4384E

Which pci ports are use and which are free?

I have the controller in pci slot 3, I have swapped between slot 1 and 3 but did not help. I do not have any other devices in the pci slots, I am using a onboard lan port for a router, I have 2 hard drives connected on ide 1 and 2 I have a 3.5 inch floppy on fdd1. Other than that theres not much going on.
This is a old HP computer that the motherboard crashed on and I replaced with the Biostar:(

Good.

Is the mobo BIOS up to date and do you have SATA raid drivers installed?
http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdownloads.asp?model=P4M80-M4
Is there an option in the BIOS regarding the SATA controller?

My bios is up to date per the Biostar website, I do have a option in the cmos setup to disable the sata, I tried disabling the onboard sata but did not help. The driver for the controller states to use it with the latest Base Bios to access non-RAID hard disk drive, CD-ROMs, CDRWs, DVD-ROMs, and DVD-RWs, with the latest Sil3x12 BIOS: 4.x.84: which this is the Bios firmware I am using.

[QUOTE=sparky57;2204112]I also have a SIL3512 satalink controller with a Sh-S203b connected to it. I recently purchased one of the TS-H653N burners on sale from Newegg. When I connected the TS-H653N to the controller and booted the PC it hung up on Verifying DMI Pool data.[/QUOTE]

Does your SIL3512 have an eSATA port on it? I have a SIL3512 with the eSATA port on it and 2 internal ports and if I try to run 2 ODD drives with
the 2 internal connections on it I get the same thing as you are describing hanging on verifying DMI Pool. It will work just fine with 1 ODD hooked to
the internal connector and an external Hdd or ODD drive hooked up to the eSATA port. I had to go and buy a SIL3114 PCI card and a SIL3132 PCI-EX
card to be able to use my 4 Samsung SATA ODD’s and my 4 SATA Hdd’s because my mobo only has 4 regular SATA plugs and 2 plugs for AHCI RAID
only. I have to say even thought the SIL3114 card has 4 SATA plug-ins it will only work with 2 ODD’s hooked to it when I tried hooking all 4 drives to it
at once it wouldn’t let the system boot at all. :disagree:

Yes my controller does have external connections, I have not tried to connect to them. This is a PNY pci to sataraid controller which I had flashed to the sil3512 satalink. The manual that came with it says you can only run two ports at one time. They are selected by means of jumpers.:iagree:

I was checking my mobo and the VIA chipset for the sata onboard controller is a VT8237r plus, looking at the VIA website I think this is a Southbridge, If so would this not be just as good as using the pci to sata controller card?:slight_smile:

You might have a look here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/1803675-post.html
Perhaps you are lucky and your newer southbridge revision does work with your Samsung drive.

Michael

Michael,
I did not find my motherboard on the list when I checked the list from Samsung that you linked to. Does this mean my mobo is ok? Also I ran Wininquiry and it came back showing the verison and oem code. From what I read this looks good. I copied a dvd on the sh-s203b and it came out ok. I have not ran any test with Nero Speed but seems like it copied as fast as the controller card was doing. I’m still puzzeled about the controller card and why it will not run 2 odd’s but looks like the problem is resolved connecting to the mobo:bigsmile:

Thanks to everyone for the help:bow:

Hi,[quote=sparky57;2206887]Michael,
I did not find my motherboard on the list when I checked the list from Samsung that you linked to.[/quote]forget that list, it’s really dated.

Does this mean my mobo is ok?
No, since the list is ancient and incomplete. I mentioned it only for reference to back up the statement of incompatibilities with Via Sata controllers.
Also I ran Wininquiry and it came back showing the verison and oem code. From what I read this looks good.
:iagree: Excellent. You should also try, if bitsetting on DVD+R does work (you need to use Nero or Imgburn for this).
but looks like the problem is resolved connecting to the mobo:bigsmile:
Luckily, you mentioned that you have the (improved) 8237 R+ southbridge. I could not find this information detail on the website of the mainboard manufacturer.

Thanks to everyone for the help:bow:
You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

Michael

Still have something fishy going on, the Nero Speed will not run with the drives connected to the mobo. I’m copying dvd’s with DVDFab and no problems yet:iagree: Could be a setup problem in cmos,

[quote=sparky57;2207159]Still have something fishy going on, the Nero Speed will not run with the drives connected to the mobo.[/quote]Could you explain more detailled?

I would btw at least have one of your two drives hooked to the SiI controller.

Michael

Could you explain more detailled?

Well I’m no pro on the Nero, but it will not give me the start option to run a test, also when I pull down the menu for test it’s all greyed out so I cannot choose any options, I can insert a blank dvd or a movie and it will give the info about the disk but still no start option to run a test. I ran a test with the sh-s203n when it was connected to the controller cardwith no problem.

I would btw at least have one of your two drives hooked to the SiI controller.

I will reconnect one of the drives to the card and see what happens.