Cannot read all DVD (dual layered ) {Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology sn208AB }

vbimport

Hi,

I have a TSST ODD which doesnot read some Dual layered DVD’s , tried reinstalling the drivers for the driver but no go

I Was looking out for the latest driver update on the devices , support website for the toshiba laptop doesnot show an update for the devices

devices specs

toshiba MK 325GSX ata device
tsst corp cd dvd sn208AB

Welcome to the forums.

Drivers for optical drives are contained within the operating system itself and you won’t find updates from outside sources. It is possible to find firmware updates for individual drives sometimes, but these come from the manufacturer of the laptop and are not always available.

Are you having trouble with commercially made movies that are on double layer DVD’s or are you just having problems with burned DL media? If it is the latter, then you should be aware that we don’t recommend many types of DL DVD discs. The only widely available variety that are worth having are sold under the Verbatim brand and use MKM-001 or MKM-003 mid codes.

Other types can cause issues like you’re having. You might have to try a different computer with a different drive. Or you can try using a program like ISOBuster to extract the data from the disc using your current drive.

Thank you for replying Kerry 56

Here are thing i have done and found out

downloaded the TSST sn208AB latest firmware update from there website and tried but it says no drive detected .

however i brought original commercial movie DVD’s and i read it on the cover that it can play on a PC , the dvds are region free (for all region) , and i have tried using the ISO Buster inorder to read the dvd but no go , but when i boot the computer to safe mode and try reseating the dvd several time it read its once in every 7 or 8 time , and when the DVD is played on a dvd player it play fine .

thanks and Regards,
vasu

ISOBuster will not be able to extract information from a commercially made DVD. This is because those movie DVD’s have encryption. You must decrypt them first before any information can be moved from the disc to the hard drive.

What are you using to play these commercially made movies? I suggest using VLC or Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

If you are trying to rip the DVD’s to the hard drive rather than just playing them in the optical drive, I suggest using a free decryption/ripping program like TDMore Free DVD: http://www.tdmore.com/free-dvd-copy.htm

thank you replying kerry

I’m using VLC ,Klite ,roxio and cyberlink media however nun read the dvds
wanted you to know that the DVD doesnot detect at the first place for VLC or media player to read/play . but when booted to safe mode it does detect the DVD when reseated 7 to 8 time
well could you letme know if the ODD has a firmware upgrade .

thank and Regards,
Vasu

The optical drives in laptops often times have proprietary firmware, and should be updated through the manufacturer of your laptop. In order to do this, you usually need the model number of the laptop itself, rather than the model number of the drive. So take a look at the Toshiba website and see if you can find anything that way.

I’m not sure why it is working intermittently in Safe Mode. That is very odd.

thank you for replying

I have already checked the toshiba website with the model as well but it was no help , so contacted my L3 team where i work and was told that MYCe could help me . Thank you once again for the replying .
well does the speed of a ODD affect reading a Double layered DVD of 8gb .

thanks and regards,
vasu

No, speed of the drive will not affect reading a DL disc.

I suspect your drive is simply malfunctioning. Laptop drives are notoriously unreliable. If you have access to one, I would suggest testing with an external optical drive connected to your laptop via a USB cable.

[QUOTE=kashinatha;2741500]thank you replying kerry

I’m using VLC ,Klite ,roxio and cyberlink media however nun read the dvds
wanted you to know that the DVD doesnot detect at the first place for VLC or media player to read/play . but when booted to safe mode it does detect the DVD when reseated 7 to 8 time
well could you letme know if the ODD has a firmware upgrade .

thank and Regards,
Vasu[/QUOTE]

For your firmware update look at this site to see if your drive is listed there and at least you will know if it has one or not…

http://www.firmwarehq.com/