Cannot play DivX (Panasonic DMR EZ28K - DVD recorder)

[qanda]This thread is about the Panasonic DMR EZ28K - DVD recorder. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Have AVI file that plays fine on my computer. Put it on USB and tried to get the EZ28 to play it. The navigator function found it and tried to load it. I got error message “Cannot play this DivX Recording”. According to GSpot, relevant parameters are:

Codec: DIV3
Name: DivX 3 Low-Motion

852x480
29.970 fps

Anybody have any ideas on why this won’t work?

[QUOTE=TedPark;2224636][qanda]This thread is about the Panasonic DMR EZ28K - DVD recorder. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Have AVI file that plays fine on my computer. Put it on USB and tried to get the EZ28 to play it. The navigator function found it and tried to load it. I got error message “Cannot play this DivX Recording”. According to GSpot, relevant parameters are:

Codec: DIV3
Name: DivX 3 Low-Motion

852x480
29.970 fps

Anybody have any ideas on why this won’t work?[/QUOTE]

The USB port will display still pictures, not video. There is no 2-way USB communication. See the DMR-EZ28 Operating Instructions at pages 7 and 41 for more information.

reply to DigaDo

The manual says it will work.

reply to Myself

I figured it out. I changed the picture size to 720 wide and it works fine. Very strange - I would have thought it would either crop or squish the picture by itself - not just a cryptic message.

[QUOTE=TedPark;2226012]reply to DigaDo

The manual says it will work.

reply to Myself

I figured it out. I changed the picture size to 720 wide and it works fine. Very strange - I would have thought it would either crop or squish the picture by itself - not just a cryptic message.[/QUOTE]

Diga do,

Please expand on how you change the resolution to 720p? Do you do this on the recorder itself or do you have to change something in the formatting of the usb? I just received my ez28 and am having the same problem with it not reading my divx files off of my usb.

James

You go into the setup options under HDMI and for resolution you select 720p instead of the default AUTO.
I don’t use Divx my self so I can’t say if this works but I do know this is how you change the output resolution.

Thanks Jeff,

I wish I could say that worked, but I tried every one of the resolutions, from 480, 720 to 1080p. My TV is 1080p but the USB still doesn’t work. It says “the format of this usb is incompatible”. I called customer service and they first asked me if these were divx files (avi) and I said yes and I had already tried the same files on a burned DVD and they worked in the ez28 so it is not the files. I asked them if it could be the USB itself. I have two Sandisk “Cruzers” one 8GB and the other 16GB. They said that no, every usb should be compatible. They told me to empty all the files from the usb and put new ones on and try those. If that doesn’t work, then try resetting the recorder back to the factory settings by holding the channel up channel down button on both sides down while the unit is on and it will reset itself. These are the next two things that I will try.

I’ll keep you posted. Thanks again.

James

correction - the message on the ez28 is “The format version of this USB device is not compatible” if that means anything…

James

New developments…I have emptied and refilled the usb and tried that as well as reset the device to it’s factory settings to no avail.

I even reformatted the usb to FAT32 (MS-DOS) and no change. the message is still the same. I will try to reformat it to FAT and NTSF as well tonight. I am calling Panasonic today to find out if they know which file format will work the best. The universal one is FAT32 as far as I know.

James

Useless.
Check the manual about the supported avi specs!