Cannot install xp professional - keeps freezing on networking components section

ok so i have an older computer that i built myself about 8 years ago and it has windows xp professional installed on it. It became really bogged down and slow because of all the crap installed on it so i decided to format the hard drive and re-install windows and start over. Everything went smooth- i put in the xp professional disc and successfully erased the harddrive and then my computer started the installation process. Right after detecting the mouse and keyboard it started the process where it says “please wait while windows installs networking components”. It gets about half way done then it just stops and doesnt do anything. I let it sit for like 3 hours and nothing happened. It actually doesnt freeze because i can still move the mouse around but it just wont finish- it just sits at the half way point. What the heck is going on?? Oh and i also forgot to mention that i’ve tried this around 4 times now and the same thing happens everytime. i need help on this one…

Hi and Welcome!

there are a couple of possible problem sources:

• [li]the disc is not so good - cleaning might help, sometimes also a copy on CD-R[/li][li]problems with the drive - cleaning the lens might help[/li][li]bad RAM - run Memtest overnight[/li][li]bad HDD - get the HDD diagnostic tool from the HDD manufacturer and run it[/li][li]bad capacitors on PSU and motherboard (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague)[/li]- do a visual inspection of there are leaking or inflated capacitors to see. You may need a good lamp to inspect the PSU

Michael

I just had a similar problem reinstalling Win2k on a system a few years old, but in my instance it got to the point of copying files where errors were encountered stating a random file was copied incorrectly or a random file could not be copied. I ran memtest86 which found 5 errors in 39 minutes and 45 seconds where memtest86 froze at 33% complete. I removed 1 of the 256MB of RAM resulting in the problem persisting, but swapping that RAM for the other 256MB of RAM resulting in successful Win2k reinstall.

Before running memtest86 I tried switching IDE cable, different hard drive was tried, different CDROM was tried and a new power supply was tried all of which resulted in same errors. Therefore I’d suggest trying memtest86 first because it’s easier to do and most likely the problem I believe. FYI I found 512MB SDRAM PC133 memory for $8.20 with free shipping on eBay if you do need memory.

ok so how do i run the memtest? I have a laptop at home also so i downloaded memtest and burned it to a disc using poweriso but after i stuck it into my computer nothing happened because setup automatically goes back to trying to install windows. Like i said i deleted the harddrive already so i cant go back i pretty much have to continue the installation. I did try pressing f8 when it booted and tried booting from the cd but every time a window pops up telling me to insert the windows xp disc to continue installation. can i still run the memtest somehow??

The memtest I have is version memtest34a, and it needs to be installed on a floppy disc which creates a boot floppy to boot to and run memtest. You could probably make a bootable CD using Nero or other program if there’s no floppy drive on the old PC.

[QUOTE=tony_fakes;2283045]ok so how do i run the memtest? [/quote]Get the ISO from http://www.memtest.org/, burn to CD-R using ImgBurn, then load the computer with that disc. That’s the normal way.

I have a laptop at home also so i downloaded memtest and burned it to a disc using poweriso but after i stuck it into my computer nothing happened because setup automatically goes back to trying to install windows.
:eek:
The hard way: disconnect the HDD (data and power cable).

Michael

i’ve got the memtest burned on a disc but it never works because my computer just keeps asking for the xp professional disc so yeah that aint gonna work. it would probably just do the same thing with a floppy disc, right? anyways i dont understand how to disconnect the HDD- i see where it is, but the power cord is connected right to it so how am i supposed to turn the computer on with that removed? I’ve tried just removing the data cable with the power cable still connected but the computer still didnt turn on. sorry for being such a retard but is there a link or something you could give me that explains this? i tried to google it but i couldnt find anything…

[QUOTE=tony_fakes;2282733]ok so i have an older computer that i built myself about 8 years ago and it has windows xp professional installed on it. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=tony_fakes;2282733]i dont understand how to disconnect the HDD- i see where it is, but the power cord is connected right to it so how am i supposed to turn the computer on with that removed?
[/QUOTE]

Reading your problem and comments I have to ask is that you built it 8 years ago but you don’t recall how you installed the system and O/S?? What kinda motherboard and hardware is in your system that you custom built?? And if you used XP pro SP3 if you updated and slipstreamed your O/S to the lastest. When you did your install why would you put the O/S disc back into the drive when it should’ve been in the drive to being with since it does the format and installation from beginning to end?? If the HDD has errors or is dying you will know it at this time cause it won’t format or windows will refuse to install on it.

[QUOTE=tony_fakes;2282733]I’ve tried just removing the data cable with the power cable still connected but the computer still didnt turn on.
[/QUOTE]

And this part don’t get me wrong but when someone builds a custom system they should have at least some knowledge of what they built and how they built it? What I don’t get is which power cable are you removing thers is only one power for the HDD and another for the motherboard and they are different size. Without the HDD it should give some kinda beep to inform you something isn’t right. But for the computer to not power on either the motherboard is bad or PS is bad or both or connector is bad. But what we need to know is what components are in your build? That would be a start to get more solutions as to what is causing the problem. Also since it is 8 yrs old that might be time that it is reaching it’s end of life for components but most likely the motherboard itself.

well just to let everyone know i decided to just install windows xp home edition instead of professional and it worked smoothly. I finally got everything going and nothing went wrong the entire time. not sure why xp professional didnt work, but if anyone else has the same problem i might suggest just using xp home and see if that works instead.

[QUOTE=tony_fakes;2283289]well just to let everyone know i decided to just install windows xp home edition instead of professional and it worked smoothly. I finally got everything going and nothing went wrong the entire time. not sure why xp professional didnt work, but if anyone else has the same problem i might suggest just using xp home and see if that works instead.[/QUOTE]

I think your disc of XP pro is probably a bad disc or has files corrupted on it. I would recommend someone go from Pro to Home. That is like downgrading your computer from 3Ghz to 1Ghz. You loose alot of control and features that Pro has that Home doesn’t have. That is the most likely scenario with your xp pro disc also from what it sounds it’s not sp3 version either. Regardless I would never recommend anyone go to home only as last resort if their pro disc fails or goes bad…but then I would not even go home either.

Hi,[QUOTE=coolcolors;2283311]I think your disc of XP pro is probably a bad disc or has files corrupted on it.[/quote]:iagree:

I would recommend someone go from Pro to Home. That is like downgrading your computer from 3Ghz to 1Ghz.
:disagree:
You loose alot of control and features that Pro has that Home doesn’t have.
Well, group policies, advanced user permission tweaking options, encryption etc. are good for people who know what they are doing.
I don’t see disadvantages for home users (who will likely not touch group policy editor or the “security” tab in file options) if they stick with XP Home, which is >35% cheaper here than XP Pro.

But for further discussion of XP(or Vista) Home vs Pro, a new thread would be the better option :wink:

Michael

I go along with that what michael posted.
I’ve seen dudes installing Datacenter editions for no reason just wanting “to have” the most expensive OS installed but with NADA knowledge on how to make USEFUL usage out of it. :smiley:

That is true as the MOD and Chef says but the OP did his own custom build so it would stand to reason the OP would’ve gone this route as well. I just like to be able to have more control or options available to me in Pro-I don’t use everything but it’s there when I needed it. But that is my experience.

There is also the option to buy “home” and pimp it without extra payment to a pseudo “pro” :wink:

I think coolcolors is probably right about likelihood of bad XP Pro disc because the problem would likely persist if it were memory or other hardware problem. I’d bet that a good XP Pro disc would work equally well if you had one to try.