Cannot install Nero 5.5.1 in XP -- msvcrt.dll error message?

Hey everyone. I cannot install the newest nero 5.5.1 on my system running XP. It gives me some error message about msvcrt.dll. Here is a screenshot. I tried to download a new msvcrt .dll and relace the one that i had but it wont let me do it. I did restart in Safemode w/ command promp and tries to delete it like that – no success. Anybody knows the solution???

-Kurt.

P.S. daggg i could not figure out how to attache the screenshot. Anyways. nero gives me a problem with msvcrt.dll and i cannot replace it or delete it.

Try it again with the most recent version.

Originally posted by KurtCocain
[B]Hey everyone. I cannot install the newest nero 5.5.1 on my system running XP. It gives me some error message about msvcrt.dll. Here is a screenshot. I tried to download a new msvcrt .dll and relace the one that i had but it wont let me do it. I did restart in Safemode w/ command promp and tries to delete it like that – no success. Anybody knows the solution???

-Kurt.

P.S. daggg i could not figure out how to attache the screenshot. Anyways. nero gives me a problem with msvcrt.dll and i cannot replace it or delete it. [/B]

i did try several times. and d/l latest version … but cannot replace it. it says that it cannot replace cuz msvcrt.dll is used by another prog. and i am not running anything … so realy dunno what to do. plus i ran it in safe mode … but its not letting me replace/delete it.

I guess 5.5.1 = 5.5.10.0 in the original message.

KurtCocain, attachements don’t work here; you would have to provide a link to file stored on some www server. Otherwise, why don’t you type the error message and post it?

Which version of msvcrt.dll are you using? On my XP SP1 box, in C:\Windows\System32 I have version 7.0.2600.1106:

08/29/2002 11:41 AM 323,072 msvcrt.dll

Sorry, I thought you were installing an earlier version.

Originally posted by KCK
[B]I guess 5.5.1 = 5.5.10.0 in the original message.

KurtCocain, attachements don’t work here; you would have to provide a link to file stored on some www server. Otherwise, why don’t you type the error message and post it?

Which version of msvcrt.dll are you using? On my XP SP1 box, in C:\Windows\System32 I have version 7.0.2600.1106:

08/29/2002 11:41 AM 323,072 msvcrt.dll [/B]

yes, it does mean the newest version of nero

and … yes i am using that same version of msvcrt.dll that u r using: the error message that nero gives me says:

“an error has occurred duroing the copy process (file name: MSVCRT.DLL) .
Error 2
please reboot your system and try again.”

I did reboot my system and all that several times, but its not helping.

Plus when i tried to put some other msvcrt.dll files that i d/l off the net its not allowing me to replace. i gues nero is giving that message cuz nero needs to write to that msvcrt. file and sisnce access is denied … fails.

Help!

-Kurt.

KurtCocain:

Do you have SP1 installed? I believe my version of msvcrt.dll has been installed by SP1. My latest installation of Nero 5.5.10.0 didn’t change any system files.

When trying to install 5.5.10.0, don’t you get any warnings about wrong system files from the Nero installer before you see the error message? I think normally the installer asks for permission before meddling with Windows.

Maybe the downloaded version of nero55100.exe is corrupt, so download it again. Also before installing it, stop all other programs, including your antivirus checker.

Did you use another version of Nero before? Retail or OEM?

If you still have a previous OEM version installed, run Start| Run| regedit and copy the serial number listed in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ahead\Nero - Burning ROM\Info\Serialx

Then remove the OEM version, install Nero 5.5.10.0 and the Nero Language English file (needed for help files) downloaded from www.ahead.de, call up Nero, and in the personalize box input the copied serial number.

I may add that removing the previous version of Nero means using Control Panel| Add/Remove Programs for Nero (and for InCD if it is installed), followed by deleting C:\Program Files\Ahead. If the upgrade is done from a fairly recent version of Nero, there is no need for registry cleaning; otherwise a regcleaner may be used.

yes, i am using latest version of XP professional w/ service pack 1

I did try closing all my appl , even my antivirus, but it still cannot install Nero.

Thanx for all the responses so far!

Anybody got any other idea?

-Kurt.

KurtCocain:

In my previous message, I asked several questions and gave several suggestions. You have only answered two of my questions. Hence I have no other ideas, except that you may re-read my previous post.:frowning:

hey sorry kck, i did not mean to make u angry.

well, i did a fresh install of my xp and tried to put nero 5.5.10.0. it did not work out cuz of that error, so i thought the installation file was corrupted. d/l it from several locations – the same results. so i desided to seek hlep from the forums.

KCK:

… and i dod not get any warning messages during installation attempts :confused:

-Kurt.

KurtCocain:

If I understood you correctly, you are saying that on a system with a freshly installed XP Pro SP1, the installer of Nero 5.5.10.0 fails while trying to copy msvcrt.dll. This is very strange (I installed Nero 5.5.10.0 on my XP Pro SP1 box without problems).

I presume, of course, that you are logging in as an administrator.

As I wrote earlier, on my XP Pro SP1 box in C:\Windows\System32, I have version 7.0.2600.1106:

08/29/2002 11:41 AM 323,072 msvcrt.dll

However, Nero 5.5.10.0 installed in C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero version 6.1.8924.0:

10/09/2002 12:38 PM 290,869 msvcrt.dll

Hence it seems that Nero uses its own version of msvrct.dll.

Could you check the error message from the screenshot again? Maybe there is some indication about the copy destination?

I can only guess that the error occurs when Nero tries to copy msvcrt.dll from some temporary directory to its own directory.

Thus apparently your problem has nothing to do with the system msvcrt.dll, and you should leave it alone!

If your software setup is OK (i.e., your OS is clean and no program is interfering with Nero’s installer), consider the following.

First, try to clean up your temporary directories. By observing the installation, you may see where the installer expands its files; e.g., on my box I had

C:\Documents and Settings\KCK\Local Settings\Temp\Nero.tmp

Delete both the Nero.tmp directory and C:\Program Files\Ahead, and try installing Nero again.

If the installation fails, run diagnostics on your hard disk.

Let me add that the usual fix for Nero problems with mscvrt.dll is to download the file

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Softlib/MSLFILES/msvcrt.exe

and run it to reinstall msvcrt.dll, but I don’t know which version it installs, and your system version looks fine anyway.

Let us know about your experience.

For what it’s worth, I too have the latest version of Nero installed on my XP Pro XP1 system and the versions of msvcrt.dll in the System32 and Nero directories agree with KCK’s. I might add that I have no fewer than 24 copies of this dll on my system, 20 of which seem to be different versions.

rmunde:

My first though was to ask you to send your 20 different versions of msvcrt.dll to KurtCocain, just to keep him busy, but I realized later that he already has some newer versions. Anyway, after producing so many versions of msvcrt.dll, MS is now preventing KurtCocain from installing them on his box… Just joking!:smiley:

Or a 21st version is needed!

Seriously, it’s got to be something else that’s causing the install problem.

Hey everybody:

I just solved it – the problem was in the nerosetup file. When u double click it and it starts extracting itself IT DOES NOT extract all the files. That is Nero did a really lame self extracting archive. So when I right clicked the setup file and extracted it with WINRAR i got 2-3 more files which absence was the problem. So I successfully installed NEro , finally. Now some would say – your file was corruted or whatever. Well, I d/l it several times , tried diff locations and mirror and I was getting the same error. So obviously is poor packaging by Nero.

NOW I have the latest Nero and my biggest CD-burning problem still persists. I have a HP cd-writer cd4e external USB burner that under XP does not work. Nero neither other applz can recognize it. While I was under 98 – Ive burnt successfully, but when I switched to XP I was never able to run the damn burner. I went to HP site, updated the drivers and everything. Even I desiced that to format my HD and put fresh XP sP1, and now to install the newest NEro, which I fannaly did, now I still cannot burn. I have posted about my HP burner and XP switching in September 2002 but after trying all the suggestions it did not help.

So now, I want to THANK ALL OF You who helped me install the newest nero. I appreciate a lot your help.

Well if you have suggestions for the bigger problem, please do respond.

Thanx.

-Kurt.

Do you see the drive in ControlPanel/System/Device Manager?

Originally posted by KurtCocain
[B]Hey everybody:

I just solved it – the problem was in the nerosetup file. When u double click it and it starts extracting itself IT DOES NOT extract all the files. That is Nero did a really lame self extracting archive. So when I right clicked the setup file and extracted it with WINRAR i got 2-3 more files which absence was the problem. So I successfully installed NEro , finally. Now some would say – your file was corruted or whatever. Well, I d/l it several times , tried diff locations and mirror and I was getting the same error. So obviously is poor packaging by Nero.

NOW I have the latest Nero and my biggest CD-burning problem still persists. I have a HP cd-writer cd4e external USB burner that under XP does not work. Nero neither other applz can recognize it. While I was under 98 – Ive burnt successfully, but when I switched to XP I was never able to run the damn burner. I went to HP site, updated the drivers and everything. Even I desiced that to format my HD and put fresh XP sP1, and now to install the newest NEro, which I fannaly did, now I still cannot burn. I have posted about my HP burner and XP switching in September 2002 but after trying all the suggestions it did not help.

So now, I want to THANK ALL OF You who helped me install the newest nero. I appreciate a lot your help.

Well if you have suggestions for the bigger problem, please do respond.

Thanx.

-Kurt. [/B]

Yes, I do see it. And when I click on its properties … it says that the device is working properly …

KurtCocain:

Going back to your Nero installation problem, I somehow doubt your conclusion about “poor packaging by Nero”. I believe thousands of users have already installed the latest Nero downloads from www.ahead.de and www.nero.com (apparently identical), so why should its self-extraction work for everybody except you?

Now, it seems that your burner is called HP CD4 external, whereas www.ahead.de says that only CD4F is supported by Nero. So did you try to check with Ahead whether it is supported or not?

I presume you have already installed the HP CD-Writer USB Drivers (2001-10-31 rev. 4.2.3.30). Did you also try the RecordNow CD Mastering Software (2002-05-16 rev. 3.5b)? If the HP version doesn’t work, you should try contacting HP support.

Did you check if anybody reported similar problems on the HP discussion groups? See

http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/Home/1,,2,00.html

http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/CategoryHome/1,,426,00.html

I too had the exact same problem… Thank God for this thread because I had done everything I could think to do short of reinstalling XP… luckily I came across this forum… so this doesnt prove that ahead has crummy packaging but it does prove that Kurt isnt an isolated incident…

Thanks again Kurt and CDFreaks for having this board up and running…